Another Chariot Question?

FourLeafClover

What is that thing on the crest on the front of the Chariot? It looks for all the world like a child's spinning top.

*grouches* I don't like this Chariot. It's my least favorite Chariot. But I'm curious about it nonetheless.

Emily

Hi FourLeafClover,

According the the book 'Spiritual Tarot' by Echols, Mueller and Thomson its Quote " The red Hindu lingam/yoni design at the centre of the chariot symbolizes the uniting of opposites and the balance between male and female energies, The winged solar disk above it links him (the charioteer) with the Egytian heaven gods and the Divine Spirit". Unquote. Slightly too deep for me at the moment lol but there you go :D

Chronata

That's pretty cool Emily.
Hmmm...it doesn't seem that deep to me, but rather makes some sense in regards to how I interpret this card in readings.

On the other hand...

I am right there with you, FourLeafClover!

Not my favorite Chariot.

So, I decided to look up in Waite's very own Pictoral Guide...to see if he could shed any light on the symbolism...and well....

well...uh...as usual, this book seems to me to be Waite's attempt to NOT tell anybody about the secret symbolism herein. After 18 years of studying the Golden Dawn, and it's members...A.E. Waite is still a conundrum to me.

And I was about to go on a, decidedly controversial, rant here but I have decided to save it for another time, and another place!

But I do encourage people to check out Waite's own musings about his deck.

There is nothing in the book to explain those symbols at all.

There are however some things about Sphinxes, and the mysteries of Nature, and his good "friend" Levi...and blah blah blah.

TemperanceAngel

There is a thread started in the RWS Forum by mac22 re: secret esoteric symbols....check it out and feel free to join in :) XTAX

Original Destiny

What it is... is ...what it means to you.... how does it make you feel about the card?... How does it alter your perception? how does it resonate inside you... look inside... and what you feel... is what it is...

its very subjective... meaning... its how you feel about it that counts.... I love my motorbike, it means more to me than just a method of transport... my partner doesnt like it... she cant understand my obsession... go by your feelingsss

paradoxx

I have always figured it was a jewish dredle (sp) and symbolic of the emotional ties to childhood youth and exposed religious ideals.

tarotica

FourLeafClover said:
What is that thing on the crest on the front of the Chariot? It looks for all the world like a child's spinning top.

*grouches* I don't like this Chariot. It's my least favorite Chariot. But I'm curious about it nonetheless.
Maybe this will help:

http://jktarot.com/chariotser.html