Deck Intentions Seeping into the Reading

uraszz

Hello!

If a thread of this nature exists please direct me to it, thank you

I read all around the AT forum about people talking about a deck (let's call it the X Tarot) that is suited for say shadow-work and another deck (let's call this the Y Tarot) more suited for mundane situations

I personally do not believe that a deck itself has these inherent qualities but it's more of a personal preference and response to the artwork that's on the cards. I've read that the Fountain Tarot is 'cool and distant' while the Wild Unknown is very 'dark and suitable for shadow work' or that the Faerie Tarot (was that it's name? If not sorry!) was 'cute and all but vicious' etc etc you can go on on with more examples but you get the idea

Though I must say that I also believe that the artistic intention seeps into the cards and reflects on the reading and/or reader. My go-to deck The Fountain Tarot for example reads so well in every situation and it always has a generous and reassuring tone to it because I think it reflects the tenderness and generosity of it's creators (which I've exchanged e-mails and have always had a beautiful interaction with)

The RWS on the other hand has this strictly proffesional, distant and boxed feeling which I think reflects Pamela Colman Smiths frustration with being payed so little for so much work

Lastly the Prisma Visions Tarot is very nice artistically but I feel that James Eads payed so much attention to the Major Arcana that the Minor Arcana became this afterthought clone (except the panoramic scenes of course). I always feel that the Prisma Visions has this show-offy tone because I feel that James Eads just made a 79 card Portfolio of his artwork rather than a true reading deck

Let's say that the X Tarot was made with the pure intention of delving deep into the sub-conscious, shedding light on situations that we mostly run away from (like child-hood pain, victim-hood etc). I think I would feel that intention when reading with the deck. And let's say the Y Tarot was made with the intention of directing people consciously in their day to day life by answering questions about finances, business, home etc I think in time I would realize this use it for that purpose

All of these of course are my own thoughts and feelings. I was just curious if you felt that the tone of the deck was set more from artistic intention than style of artwork

Sincerely

-uraszz

Barleywine

I think the classic example of artwork wedded to the intention of its creator is the Thoth. Harris's synthetic projective geometry had its own academic progenitors that seemed to coexist quite comfortably with Crowley's esoteric foundation, especially in the suit of Swords. I don't believe Crowley fully intended it for predictive work, but he did acknowledge that divination is one of the most practical ways to get in touch with the cards as "living beings."

uraszz

I think the classic example of artwork wedded to the intention of its creator is the Thoth. Harris's synthetic projective geometry had its own academic progenitors that seemed to coexist quite comfortably with Crowley's esoteric foundation, especially in the suit of Swords. I don't believe Crowley fully intended it for predictive work, but he did acknowledge that divination is one of the most practical ways to get in touch with the cards as "living beings."

The Tarot as Living Beings part of the Book of Thoth was very interesting and one that now in my studies of the cards I try to consider. It opened a very different path for my studies to go along

Tanga

All of these of course are my own thoughts and feelings. I was just curious if you felt that the tone of the deck was set more from artistic intention than style of artwork

I'm thinking it's a marriage of all 3 - the 3rd being how the artwork speaks to each individual.

For example... Dame Fortune's Wheel - is my self-therapy deck.
Is that in the "intention of the style of artwork"? I wouldn't know as I haven't read about it.
And - Tarot of The Cat People is for ritual magic...?

I suppose Cat Black's Golden Tarot as my go to to speak to my guides - is a bit more plausible...