Attention, edgers, gilders, and blingers: what are your tools of choice?

Laura Borealis

I Have been thinking about doing it to a deck or two for a week or so. I don't want to damage them, so I didn't even try, but I keep starting at the block of wax and thinking about it.

I haven't really done anything to the edges of any yet (same reason, don't want to mess them up), but I kinda want to throw some black or grey on one deck in particular. If I do and I wax em I will let you know how it turns out.

After I asked, I realized it might make the cards stick together. :eek:

G6

PICS: Deviant Moon Borderless - Bronze Edging

I'm undecided on edging my Deviant Moon borderless black or gold.

Any strong opinions?

I decided bronze would look better because the gold I have is a bit green.

I used a Bic Mark It pen in Bronze.

I'm happy with it and now when the deck is out on my table it actually looks like a book.

PICS...

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 235

Dee Ell

Anyone ever tried using India Ink to edge a deck?
I only have Sharpies or those SUPER smelly nuclear-grade permanent markers that I don't want to use because the deck would always give me a headache from then on... But I'm not really keen on buying new materials just for one thing when I already have so many art supplies on hand (I'm a professional artist).

Anyway, any opinions would be great. I'd really love to get that super shiny black look I've seen in other people's pictures (almost like the deck is made from obsidian) but that doesn't rub off or fade...

I know FLiz chimed in on what he uses (thx) but I'm still keen to know if anyone has used a India Ink as I don't really want to buy new supplies, and on previous pages of the thread I read the black sharpies rub off on your hands..

I used a Bic Mark It pen in Bronze.

I'm happy with it and now when the deck is out on my table it actually looks like a book.

Looks nice!

G6

PICS - Tod's Creatures Tarot - Bronze Edging

I think this Bic Mark It - Bronze pen is a nice classy look for autumn hued decks.

Here we have before and after pics of Tod's Creatures Tarot with the Bronze edge.

This deck is cute, but the card stock is horribly cheap, so edging it helps it look less ratty around the edges. There is no link on AT for this deck, so you can find it here at Game Crafters:

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/tod-s-creatures-tarot

Let me know what you think about the deck/edging or if you have this deck and did it some other way?

Thnx!

G6

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 229

G6

Any thoughts on edge color for many-hued border decks?

Dee Ell

Any thoughts on edge color for many-hued border decks?

Post a pic of the deck from different angles. I think it depends on the dominant colors of the cards...

G6

Post a pic of the deck from different angles. I think it depends on the dominant colors of the cards...

It's The Bright Idea Deck (see below). It's kinda screwy because there are purple, blue, green, yellow, red borders on the art side, but the backs have a black border. I thought black would be too much, so I'm thinking Navy Blue, because the blue border is lighter and it will be less heavy than the black, which I don't think goes with the deck.

Opinion?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/bright-idea/

Dee Ell

It's The Bright Idea Deck (see below). It's kinda screwy because there are purple, blue, green, yellow, red borders on the art side, but the backs have a black border. I thought black would be too much, so I'm thinking Navy Blue, because the blue border is lighter and it will be less heavy than the black, which I don't think goes with the deck.

Opinion?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/bright-idea/

Well from the samples shown there, there's a little bit of yellow in each card to pull them together so if it was my deck, that's what I'd use. But that's only having seen the few cards in the link. I don't know if it would tie together as well with the rest of the deck or what the backs look like though...

G6

PIC: The Bright Idea Deck

Well from the samples shown there, there's a little bit of yellow in each card to pull them together so if it was my deck, that's what I'd use. But that's only having seen the few cards in the link. I don't know if it would tie together as well with the rest of the deck or what the backs look like though...

There does seem to be a bit more yellow in most of the compositions. I picked a sample and the first card is what the backs look like. I don't think I have a yellow marker. Orange, Navy, Purple, Red, Black, Metallics, Maybe Green?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 201

FLizarraga

There does seem to be a bit more yellow in most of the compositions. I picked a sample and the first card is what the backs look like. I don't think I have a yellow marker. Orange, Navy, Purple, Red, Black, Metallics, Maybe Green?

I do agree with Dee Ell about yellow being practically everywhere, so it could be a good unifying color for the edges.

You could try also making the edges marled. For instance, using yellow as a base and then applying touches of other colors, maybe even metallic hues. I have done it, and it does not look half bad. Conversely, you could apply a metallic tone as a base and then "age" and "dirty" it with other colors.