The Violet Ascension Tarot Kickstarter

banbha

from the creator:

The Violet Ascension takes its name from two pieces of my life: place and color.

Violet: a fragile flower, a shade of purple, and my (as well as The Artist's, RIP) favorite color.
Ascension: meaning rise up. Ascension Parish, just up the Mississippi River from New Orleans, is the home to 300 years of my Cajun ancestors who live(d) there.

The Violet Ascension reflects non-violence, intersectional feminism, human-powered transportation, inventions, respect for animals and nature. With themes of otherness, magic, southerness, queerness, and dissidence, this isn't your traditional Raider-Waite inspired Tarot deck.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rhienna/the-violet-ascension-tarot?ref=thanks_tweet

Shade

The artwork is beautiful and I am certain that it might be popular with the Wild Unknown crowd but for me it's perhaps a bit too minimalist. Is a Pelican Chariot-like enough that it is self-evidently the Chariot?

Celice

This one is not for me. I'm kind of tired of the trend for minimalism started by the Wild Unknown I feel like it is a way for artists to make a deck without having to research all the symbolism. The theme on this one isn't entirely coherent for me it is animals and bicycles/methods of transportation it seems kind of a random combination but maybe it works... Also the artist kept saying it was a deck of 77 cards... I guess she couldn't remember they usually have 78 I don't know it just kind of threw me off even though the description says 78 so I guess it is probably ok. After not receiving various Kickstarter rewards throughout the years I have learned to not back something unless it is close to completion. Looks like this artist has a lot of work to do before the deck is ready for printing. Pretty art though thanks for sharing.

banbha

The artwork is beautiful and I am certain that it might be popular with the Wild Unknown crowd but for me it's perhaps a bit too minimalist. Is a Pelican Chariot-like enough that it is self-evidently the Chariot?

I agree, the artwork is beautiful. I wondered about that too, so I asked the creator:

"When I was thinking about drawing this card (one of my favorites), I thought about animals that are prepared for a journey and what they bring with them. The Chariot implores us to take a leap of faith and go down the path, but warns that once you do, there's no turning back. Something about this made me think of the stately, huge pelican: their bones, their wingspan, mouths full of fish. And how they are ultimate travelers and hunters, ending up exactly where they need to to survive and move forward."

I think maybe a drawing of a flying or a diving pelican would have made more sense as opposed to one standing quietly on a dock or a piling but the explanation does help.

MoonGypsy

i don't think the title matches the deck at all...
Just my personal opinion. :)

willowy

This one is not for me. I'm kind of tired of the trend for minimalism started by the Wild Unknown I feel like it is a way for artists to make a deck without having to research all the symbolism. The theme on this one isn't entirely coherent for me it is animals and bicycles/methods of transportation it seems kind of a random combination but maybe it works... Also the artist kept saying it was a deck of 77 cards... I guess she couldn't remember they usually have 78 I don't know it just kind of threw me off even though the description says 78 so I guess it is probably ok. After not receiving various Kickstarter rewards throughout the years I have learned to not back something unless it is close to completion. Looks like this artist has a lot of work to do before the deck is ready for printing. Pretty art though thanks for sharing.

I agree on what you say about the theme,I don't get it really.I do like all the animal cards-the lovers especially,,I would back it for those.I'm a big animal deck fan,but not too keen on the transport cards,kind of doesn't gel to me.I'm abit unsure about backing this though as I would of liked to see abit more completion,so would of had more idea how it would look.

Amsonia

i don't think the title matches the deck at all...
Just my personal opinion. :)

That's what I thought. This one's not for me either, it seems like it is going many directions, and none of those directions is towards symbols or layers of meanings...for me anyway.