The Cartomancy Study Thread

zhadee

Ara, a really great source to begin with is the Hedgewytchery stuff. :)
There you'll find 3 basic rules: the colour, the meaning of the suits, and interpreting the card. She explains everything just perfectly.

The Witch with a middling memory section says: keep the Tarot suits out of your mind. :p When I first discovered this site, I was confused with the assignment: Diamond = Fire?! Spade = Earth?! Clubs = Air?
But now that I am older, I am happy to ignore this by returning to the usual assignment.

I have trouble reading the pips in TdM, so I thought studying the playing cards would help me, but so far I haven't noticed a change. Maybe because I read the image, I cannot move over.
RWS, Thoth, TdM are 3 different stories for me. Each 8 of Wands comes with a unique meaning.
Though I noticed that now I am studying the playing cards I have trouble reading my Lenormand cards that come with playing card inserts: the Child comes with the J :spade: which is disturbing, and the Mountain's 8 :club: gives shop talk a new meaning. :p

And there I go again: 8 :club: = 8 of Wands. I hope that studying the playing cards will give me a solid foundation, enabling me to read all Tarot cards. Not just their images.

AraLuck

Ara, a really great source to begin with is the Hedgewytchery stuff. :)
There you'll find 3 basic rules: the colour, the meaning of the suits, and interpreting the card. She explains everything just perfectly.

The Witch with a middling memory section says: keep the Tarot suits out of your mind. :p When I first discovered this site, I was confused with the assignment: Diamond = Fire?! Spade = Earth?! Clubs = Air?
But now that I am older, I am happy to ignore this by returning to the usual assignment.

I have trouble reading the pips in TdM, so I thought studying the playing cards would help me, but so far I haven't noticed a change. Maybe because I read the image, I cannot move over.
RWS, Thoth, TdM are 3 different stories for me. Each 8 of Wands comes with a unique meaning.
Though I noticed that now I am studying the playing cards I have trouble reading my Lenormand cards that come with playing card inserts: the Child comes with the J :spade: which is disturbing, and the Mountain's 8 :club: gives shop talk a new meaning. :p

And there I go again: 8 :club: = 8 of Wands. I hope that studying the playing cards will give me a solid foundation, enabling me to read all Tarot cards. Not just their images.

Yes, agree . Will do. Am totally with you regarding the Lenormand and the inserts.. I read it was the best way to learn Lenormand with these ... Yet I also find it very confusing and précisely the card you mention, since it seems Jack Spade is a nasty card... But then how can that be child? Same with woman being Ace Spade (if I remember correctly.)

I would love to know the logic behind all that!

zhadee

4 of Hearts

Today's card to study is 4 :heart:

I have started to see the 4 as a cage, a balcony, a cabin, a tent, a play pen: something confined. When I sit on my balcony, I sit in midair. I can see all, but I cannot interact. Okay, I may shout down that the ones sitting in the garden need to turn down both the radio and their voices.
Or I may start throwing down things, so I become a nuisance.
I may grow some small wilderness, turning the balcony in a secluded little spot where nothing and nobody may find me.

I think, that is the thing with the four: it is a square, a quad, a chequer where I can test things, ideas, feelings. It's a playground, a sandbox! Nothing can come in that I do not want to come in.
With the :heart:, nothing bad can come in. It's the perfect sand box love.

From the New World Witchery Guide:

Four

A trunk or travel case; A lock. Like with other fours, this card shows a relative stagnation.
However, in the case of the Four of Hearts, that could also mean incubation or preparation. The image of a hope chest or a steamer trunk fits this card, with all their promised potential for excitement, romance, marriage, and just life in general. However, getting mired down in preparation can lead to a life of lockdown, where everything is being kept just so, and never given the opportunity for use.

Hearts

Family, friends, love, and lovers. Also emotions and things which are deeply felt.

zhadee

Yes, agree . Will do. Am totally with you regarding the Lenormand and the inserts.. I read it was the best way to learn Lenormand with these ... Yet I also find it very confusing and précisely the card you mention, since it seems Jack Spade is a nasty card... But then how can that be child? Same with woman being Ace Spade (if I remember correctly.)

I would love to know the logic behind all that!

Bernd A. Mertz has published a book Wahrsagen mit Karten on the Lenormand in which he explains the playing inserts. In this book, Mertz gives different elements Spade = Water, and it refers to the soul. So there is nothing bad to mention from this point of view.
But in the playing cards, the J :spade: is the culprit!

Same goes for the A :spade:, he says it's an image of the soul. I thought, do all women have little dark hearts?

I also have a Sibilla with playing card inserts - now that I study the playing cards, I cannot use it anymore! Because the images differ a lot from the inserts, and I get really confused. It's like I have to read two decks at once, like I deal with an estranged couple. :p

AraLuck

My first card to study... yaaay!

So mine is a 2:heart:

So I will go by what they many resources say out here... 2 is an exchange, heart is relating to emotions... so my good guess is about a relationship of some sort, harmonious emotions or a harmonious relationship with someone. If I go by my own case today, I think of my son with whom I managed to restore my love for after terrible IGCSE results came through yesterday. So, I am a feeling a little more at peace and a little more loving towards my offspring whom I wanted to throw off the balcony yesterday!

Could that be a good start to interpretation? We need a group leader here... hehehe, a master, teacher, miss with the rod who's going to hit on our fingers if we go off track... zhadee? :p:joke:

Well, I will start slow here. There's a lot to remember in all of the resources, but thankfully the principle with numbers is fairly universal, the colour combinations are a reasonable act to follow... and well, everything else looks pretty well structured. And I hope to catch up with my more knowledgeable counterparts here very soon! :thumbsup:

AraLuck

zhadee;4Bernd A. Mertz has published a book [URL="https://www.amazon.de/Wahrsagen-Karten-Madame-Lenormand-Set-Lenormandkarten/dp/351706775X" said:
Wahrsagen mit Karten[/URL] on the Lenormand in which he explains the playing inserts. In this book, Mertz gives different elements Spade = Water, and it refers to the soul. So there is nothing bad to mention from this point of view. 768756]
But in the playing cards, the J :spade: is the culprit!

Same goes for the A :spade:, he says it's an image of the soul. I thought, do all women have little dark hearts?

Exactly! I guess this enlightenment will come eventually. All mysteries cannot be revealed at once, lol. But the mind does boggle.... and if I am to go by logic, this doesn't make sense. But are we suppose to use logic or intuition here?

I also have a Sibilla with playing card inserts - now that I study the playing cards, I cannot use it anymore! Because the images differ a lot from the inserts, and I get really confused. It's like I have to read two decks at once, like I deal with an estranged couple. :p

Hmm, am with you gorgeous! Don't think I'll handle these two well together either... but we'll try. See where we're at. Am waiting for my Daveluy with French inscriptions and am just going to heavily rely on that for Lenny, and treat the playing cards entirely separately. But we know what happens to the best laid schemes... hehe

AnemoneRosie

Today's card to study is 4 :heart:

I see this card as being that feeling of safety and security that you get from being comfortably at home after a tiring day, or being with someone that you love. If we're not talking about feelings and rather more literal things then it's the home that gives you that feeling, or whatever it takes to get it, be a security blanket, knowing that the doors are locked or that your diary is safe, etc.

AraLuck

Study card!!

Oops.. zhadee, was the card you pulled the one we were supposed to all chip in on, or do we each pull one out individually? What would be a good way to proceed?

zhadee

Thank you for adding me!
Because I come from the TdM tradition I just sort of move over into playing cards keeping their TdM associations. Where I fall apart is spreads - I don't have a great knowledge of fortune telling spreads.

Anemone, did you check the Hedgewytchery for spreads? :)
How about using Tarot spreads? Cross readings should work, don't you think?