Unicursal Hexagram

Lillie

For me, when I got my first Thoth, I saw this card and I liked it so much I kept it in the deck.

As there was no meaning given for it, I made up my own.

I have always assumed that this card could mean anything anyone wanted it to mean.
Or they need not use it at all, if they didn't want too.

So, it's been interesting to see all the stuff said about it, and all the quotes about what it might and might not mean.

Turns out, Ravenest, I read it much the same as you.
Though not necessarily Magic.
Anything.
It's like a nexus in which many points meet and anything may happen.
Also a point at which the probabilities ar such that a little nudge in a certain direction may cause things to happen the way you want.
(Which could be some kind of definition of magic)

ravenest

Lillie said:
It's like a nexus in which many points meet and anything may happen.
Also a point at which the probabilities ar such that a little nudge in a certain direction may cause things to happen the way you want.
(Which could be some kind of definition of magic)

Most definatly! Yellow magic; a bit like Taoism - minimum effort with maximum effect.

Aeon418

ravenest said:
No, he never did and traditionalists dont like to either. probably because the above distinctions can be easily blurred and misunderstood.
Well... as Mel Gibson said in the film Braveheart: "You can take our land, but you'll never take our erm.... Unicursal Haxagram." :laugh:

By the way I love your derogatory use of the word "traditional". It's almost a dirty word in these New Age times we live in. :laugh:

Do what thou WANT shall be the whole of the law. ;)

Julien

It seems as though ravenest is pretty systematic in his approach -- it's been an amazing learning experience having Aeon and Ravenest discuss some of the deeper issues in these cards. As a beginner to the Thoth (though not to Tarot, and not to intuitive knowing), I have been helped along a lot -- thank you both.

I know I may be a heretic, but I always like a framework to work with when I'm reading cards, and so the BoT has been a bible for me of late. But that doesn't mean my intuition isn't guiding me. :)

I remain intrigued by this card, though. I went back through the reading I had done where it showed up as the outcome, and do sense that same "anything is possible" energy that several of a couple of you mention. I have the rainbow kind of Unicursal Hex -- I've tried to trace it, and have been looking at it closely. Do you know what it reminds me of? The aurora borealis. On a dark night in northern Minnesota, many many years ago, we were camping. It was fall -- the air was chilly, I remember. My dad was playing his harmonica, and we were watching the campfire burn. And then we looked up -- I don't know how it was that moment, but there was the aurora borealis so bright and so beautiful. It was magical. My father's a scientist, and he explained what science told us about the northern lights, and then he did what my father always did... Reminded us just how magical all of "it" is... Even when we devise intricate explanations for things...

So, pure magic... The magic of knowing, of happening unexplainable and things unknown. That seems to be this card's meaning... I think... Maybe... :)

Julien

Lillie

Oh, you lucky thing!

I have always wanted to see the northern lights!

I never have.
Perhaps one day I'll get it together to go north!

Julien

Okay, a little off topic but... I've seen them a few times in my life of 38 years - it's a little odd, really, because they tend to show up around times when big changes are afoot... So, back on topic now -- I think that's why the Universal Hex became linked with it in my mind as I read the thread. ;)

Yes, they're beautiful. Well worth a trip northward to see them... Or finding out when they come far enough south to be seen in, say, Scotland. ;)

Julien

Aeon418

Julien said:
I have the rainbow kind of Universal Hex -- I've tried to trace it, and have been looking at it closely. Do you know what it reminds me of? The aurora borealis.
I think the creators of the "rainbow" effect Unicursal hexagram have taken a leaf out of Ravenest's book. The colours correspond to the qabalistic Tree of Life. If you were to trace the U.H. over the Tree of Life diagram with the top point in Daath and the bottom point in Yesod the colours would match up.

Julien

I shall give that a try. Thank you Aeon.

J

Lillie

Yes, it's sometimes in scotland.
We went there once, to the very north, but never saw them.

Maybe another time.

I didn't know that about the colours on the rainbow hex.
I've never had it, but it's beautiful.
All except that border round it.
I can't stand that.

Julien

Oh, Lillie, you're one of the border haters, huh? I never see them when I look at the card -- my eyes tune them out... I gather you'd cut it off?

Julien