Binding of Issac Tarot.

sashie

I'm so stoked, my boyfriend bought a tarot deck. Not to read, but still. It arrived yesterday, and I wanted to post here because I haven't seen anyone else discuss the deck, here. I think it's neat and of interest to people who aren't into the game.

It's an art deck, I think. Meaning that it's not a 'clone,' of the Rider Waite. There are some people who can read with anything... and in that sense I think this could be a reading deck. I had a hard time trying to establish what suit matches what classic suit, and "is this a different way to draw the RWS six of cups, does it mean the same thing?" kind of thoughts.

So, details. It's 78 cards. This is the second edition of deck. I thought that it wouldn't be possible to get a copy as the first editions would sell out quickly, and the creator would warn about 24 hours ahead of them being posted to the shop. The minors are fully illustrated.

Justice is VII (8), Strength is XI (11). XX is Judgement (versus Aeon), XIX is The World (versus the Universe). Courts are : Page, Knight, Queen, King. Suits are Keys, Hearts, Bombs, and Pennies.

The game Binding of Issac is pretty great. It's very weird. Genre is roguelike, also think the term "bullet hell" is very accurate.

If one were to look at the deck without knowing anything about the game, I think you'd be freaked out. It's creepy. Cartoon-y. The game itself, the main character is a crying naked kid. The dungeon is your Mom's basement. God told her to kill you. The monsters you fight are hurt/killed by your tears. And there are tons of items in the game that change the gameplay dramatically. I thought it was cool that there were tarot card items, and that the abilities granted by the card relate to the card.

Here's a further description of the game: "The game's title and plot were inspired by the Biblical story of the Binding of Isaac. However, the content is irrelevant from the actual story of the Bible. After Isaac's mother receives a message from God demanding the life of her son as proof of her faith, Isaac flees into the monster-filled basement of their home, where he must fight to survive. Players control Isaac or one of six other unlockable characters through a procedurally generated dungeon in a roguelike manner, fashioned after those of The Legend of Zelda, defeating monsters in real-time combat while collecting items and power-ups to defeat bosses and eventually Isaac's mom." From wikipedia.

If you want to know more about the game, see the Steam Store Page for Binding of Issac: Rebirth (possibly NSFW violence/cartoon nudity, and age verification is required due to the game's rating. There are videos of the cut scenes and gameplay to give you a feel). Or the Wikipedia entry for the series. Here's the store, if you're interested to buy the deck.

I'm going to take some pictures and upload and post as a reply. Any particular cards you'd like to see? Let me know!