The tunique of the fool

lucifall

Hello fellow tarotlovers,

Today i was studying the card of the Fool and discovered something I never saw before. The LifeLong Trip of tarot...
When i magnified the picture and made it clearer I first was disappointed as it made not really clearer what i was looking for, but fortunatelly there is (in my feelings, eyes) more to find.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/791/avdcl1yfrr.jpg

The Yellow circle with the letter Shin, seems to be attached by a umbilical cord. (Others will have notice this already.. i could not find it in the search-function)

umbilical cord as birthchannel for the Fire of Life, our eternal Flame, Shin
The LifePower will in every incarnation be present. Our own Fire, which always is there, when we need invisible "help" to go on. The cord is the connection between our various lives.

Above it, just right from the next "circle" i can see a bird , a peacock, a bird related to Netzach(Victory) also related with the green wreath of Victory.

Right above the peacok there seems to be a triple flame, which connects perfectly with Shin.Those triple flames we find back in green around the wheel, three fold leaves, sevenfold around the wheel (21 paths to go..?)

Left in the middle, the reason for magnifying, i think to see something like a pocket. Above it is marked by 3 little pearls, which also could connect with the belt of Orion, as the belt could do.

On the pocket, above the wheel, i see a little cirle with a point in the middle of it. It is connected (as a kind of 8, but not symmetric) with the wheel.
The circle with the point is the symbol of the sun, which connects beautifully with the difficult to recognize moon on the left shoulder of the Fool, as the fool is considered Androgyn.
But also possible to see as a reflection, of the White Sun, Kether behind the Fool, as Waite put it: "The sun, which shines behind him, knows whence he came, whither he is going, and how he will return by another path after many days"

Do you also see these, or other things, or is it only my perception?

Light Lucifall

KariRoad

Looking at the image with this link: Flaming Sleeves on The Fool's Tunic
http://www.gretchenhummel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/rws_tarot_00_fool.jpg

I think we can see much of what you say, and I would add that the sleeves on the Fool's tunic look very much like flames. The early tradition of assigning card XXI Le Monde to letter 22 (with the unnumbered Le Fol being reassigned to letter 21) seems to date back to France, around 1800 or before. With the letter 22 Tav for Le Monde it can have a planetary attribution, and many thinkers wished to assign the sun to card 21 to signify The Star of the Magi and all that this would imply spiritually. That way, if Le Fol is given letter 21 Shin (fire) the attribution would become an obviously arbitrary choice, but nonetheless one made by many. It seems to me The Fool was never intended to be the first card, and very likely was the last card, unnumbered for reasons unknown (though interesting to imagine).

lucifall

Thanx for your additional info Kari,
The sleeves indeed look very much like flames.

Some more Shin - Fire for the Fool:

The cabbalistic intelligence for the fool is FIERY scintillating intelligence, the mode of consciousness assigned to Aleph.

In the tarot a key to the wisdom of ages of P.F.Case, we read in his description of the fool:
"Breath keeps a fire alight in our bodies. In both Old and New testament we are told: "The Lord our God is a consuming fire"
Further he continues: "the most recent discoveries of modern physics demonstrate the fact that "the something" whereof all things are made is a radiant fiery energy"

Mr Case assigned the Fool to Uranus.

We know that Uranium is a source for a lot of (destructing) Fire.... But it is now also used for comfortable Warmth, electricity and so on.
It is interesting that the 3 "modern" planets, that were added to the ancient seven planets, bear all names connected to (a kind of) Fire.
Uranus (Fool) Neptune(Hanged Man) Pluto (Judgment) are connected with Uranium, Neptunium and Plutionium.

Case:"those terrible sky powers" and further he continues:
"yet these same powers might, if rightly applied, so change our globe that it would become a veritable paradise"
We are still waiting on that one....

KariRoad said:
Looking at the image with this link: Flaming Sleeves on The Fool's Tunic
http://www.gretchenhummel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/rws_tarot_00_fool.jpg
This is a very nice clear picture. The image of the tunique above i got from sacred text, the PKT.

I made this document: Left is the sacred text image and on the right the gretchenhummel- image.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/39907262/Two-Fools-Left-Sacred-Texts-Pkt-Right-Gretchenhummel

Something blinks out: The sacred text Fool has a White belt and the gretchenhummel-Fool has a Yellow belt.....
Do you see that, too?

KariRoad said:
It seems to me The Fool was never intended to be the first card, and very likely was the last card, unnumbered for reasons unknown (though interesting to imagine).

unnumbered, and the first and the last, The 0, the Alpha and the Omega.
Also 22 appears for the fool: which again brings us to Shin - Fire, because 22 is 4, and the Fouth card, the Emperor is Kardinal Fire.

Light,
Luci in the Sky

BrooklynRider

I haven't been studying long. Your post compelled me to look at the tunic more closely. Without knowing much about the Hebrew alphabet or having a full grasp of the hidden symbolism, I see some things that might be unique to me...

The blue and green of the tunic convey to me a sense of an unfamiliar map. i.e land masses and bodies of water. Unexplored places, unnavigated terriroty. Even with a map of a terrestrial places, the Fool raises his eyes to the heavens in search of something beyond or, perhaps, in acknowledgement of something above. Is he descending from heavens? Coming down from above with a curiosity? Is the the map indicative of the new places and experiences yet to come?

The yellow circles with the star burst red lines strike me as sand dollars. They serve as the basis for the Legend of the Sand Dollar:

"It is said that Christ left the sand dollar as a symbol to help the evangelists teach the faith. The five holes commemorate the five wounds of Christ, while at the center on one side blooms the Easter lily, and at the lily's heart the star of Bethlehem. The Christmas poinsettia is etched on the other side, a reminder of Christ's birth. According to this legend, if you break the center five white doves will be released to spread good will and peace."

(http://www.catholicsupply.com/existing/prsanddollar.html)

As I look at the card, I also see the snow capped mountains. On the bottom left, I see smaller peaks. Having just returned from a hiking trip to Alaska, I can't help but look at these smaller peaks as icebergs. The icebergs we see above water typically represent only a small fraction of what lays below (Wikipedia states: "typically only one-ninth of the volume of an iceberg is above water.") I perceive this as meaning that there is much more than meets the eye throughout the journey. We see what we see, but can only make guesses about what we don't see.

This is my first dive into these threads (beyond seeking meet-ups). I'm sorry to ramble off-topic, but the initial post got me looking at this harder. Right now (without much study), I can only offer a gut perception as opposed to a scholarly explanation.

Cheers to all.

lucifall

BrooklynRider said:
The yellow circles with the star burst red lines strike me as sand dollars.
I never saw sand dollars in the yellow cirles and red lines. I always considered them as EighspokeWheels as the Wheel of Fortune.
But these sand dollars i once found in Indonesia, and i was striked by the symmitrical flowers with 5 leaves. They really look like natural mandala's.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/sgifs/Sanddollar_bw.GIF

This can connect nicely with the Rose of the Fool, also the legend of the sand dollar of the five wounds we see in the Rose. The Ros reflects Venus with its five leaves. Are you familiair with the flower of life? Six petal leaves in an endless world of flowers. This was then the connection i felt first seeing a sand dollar. (Mixing up Five and Six... a Rose, Lily Mix...)

http://peggymarie010.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/flower-of-life.gif

There are theories this flower of life contains also the cube of Metatron and the tree of Life. (I sometimes like to see the Fool as Metatron)

In the nice Way you describe your perception about the Icebergs we also find a water-world in the Abyss.
A Waterworld on a Base of Frozen Water. The Ice peaks and the Ice under the Water.. As above So below connects the Fool with the Magician and with the Great Mother sea behind the Veil of the High Priestess.

BrooklynRider said:
We see what we see, but can only make guesses about what we don't see.
On a Dutch tarotforum another member compared the Fool with the fairytale of the Little Prince of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
This little prince is in love with a Rose and travels to seven planets. When he meets the Fox he learned something, which is a famous Quote of Saint-Exupéry :
"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux"
"Here is my secret. It is very simple: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Light and Cheers
Luci

KariRoad

lucifall said:
Mr Case assigned the Fool to Uranus.
I have PDF files by Paul Foster Case which might interest you:

1919-1920 An Introduction to the Study of Tarot
1933 Oracle of the Tarot

I have been fascinated by his early work, in comparison to later, edited re-printings. Which publications do you generally consult by Paul Foster Case?

lucifall

KariRoad said:
I have PDF files by Paul Foster Case which might interest you:
1933 Oracle of the Tarot
I have been fascinated by his early work, in comparison to later, edited re-printings. Which publications do you generally consult by Paul Foster Case?
The last 2 years I am a big fan of Paul Foster Case. (Earlier i did not understand his writings)
The pdf files you mention, i also have. An introduction to the story of Tarot is one of my favorites.
I have the tarot a key to the wisdom of the ages, Penguin 2006
This book discusses only the Majors.
1 chapter about a tarotcard feels to me as a complete book....

This book i also have in a hardcover. It is a hardcover of Macoy publishing company, it is not a revised edition. It mentions copyright 1947, by Paul Foster Case and on the bottom of the pages printed in the United States.
It has no print of the Hermit on the front. Maybe it is a 1st edition?

Further the Golden Dawn published lately books of Case
Wisdom of Tarot, the Golden Dawn Tarot Series 1
Tarot revelations, the Golden Dawn Tarot Series 2
Both books in the form of courses, meditations.
I became such a fan that I started the B.O.T.A course.

Light Luci

KariRoad

Hi Luci,

by Paul Foster Case

1933 Oracle of the Tarot

The PDFs I have are the ORIGINAL texts, not revised re-prints. There are significant differences, so I had wondered if you might like copies for reference?

lucifall

KariRoad said:
Hi Luci,

by Paul Foster Case

1933 Oracle of the Tarot

The PDFs I have are the ORIGINAL texts, not revised re-prints. There are significant differences, so I had wondered if you might like copies for reference?

hi Kari,

i did not understood that....... i spreek english very well, but not so snel, but dat komt nog wel.....
Please I like that PDF's!!!

Luci in the early morning

KariRoad

files e-mailed to you

OK :) and now back to: The tunique of the fool