7 of Cups, Moon as a path?

Annalise

I'm utterly confused right now. I drew a past/present/future relationship for a client. After I drew those three, I asked "What is the path from present to future?" and drew the 7 of Cups clarified by the Moon. Which is, to my understanding, unrealistic dreams, self-delusion, etc.

If we're talking about a path from one thing to another thing, would the cards be telling to to guard against self-delusion?

rwcarter

If we're talking about a path from one thing to another thing, would the cards be telling to to guard against self-delusion?
Actually it may be just the opposite. You asked how you get from one thing to another thing. As answer the two cards may be saying that the client needs to experience the self-delusion and come out the other side (realizing that they're deluding themselves) before they can reach the place shown in the future position.

Just like an alcoholic often has to hit rock bottom before they can get help/treatment, sometimes folks have to go down the wrong path in order to realize what path they should be on.

Rodney

Barleywine

Actually it may be just the opposite. You asked how you get from one thing to another thing. As answer the two cards may be saying that the client needs to experience the self-delusion and come out the other side (realizing that they're deluding themselves) before they can reach the place shown in the future position.

Just like an alcoholic often has to hit rock bottom before they can get help/treatment, sometimes folks have to go down the wrong path in order to realize what path they should be on.

Rodney

Great answer! If the 7 of Cups represents faltering missteps at the beginning of the path due to a lack of clarity, the Moon may suggest a "purging" of doubt as it sheds its glamor over time. Think of the last half of the lunar cycle in figurative terms: if we load it up with emotional junk at the Full Moon, it slowly "takes out the trash" until the next New Moon arrives. In this sense the Moon turns from "deceiver" into "revealer" since everything is released. The idea makes me think of John Coffey in "The Green Mile," who absorbed all the poison and "processed" it. This could even set a time limit on reaching the destination. Just a random thought, thanks for the inspiration, Rodney.

Annalise

Rodney

Ahhh, like maybe the current state of the relationship (present) is not where they need to be and they'll go through a period of delusion before they reach the future outcome?

Annalise

Great answer! If the 7 of Cups represents faltering missteps at the beginning of the path due to a lack of clarity, the Moon may suggest a "purging" of doubt as it sheds its glamor over time. Think of the last half of the lunar cycle in figurative terms: if we load it up with emotional junk at the Full Moon, it slowly "takes out the trash" until the next New Moon arrives. In this sense the Moon turns from "deceiver" into "revealer" since everything is released. The idea makes me think of John Coffey in "The Green Mile," who absorbed all the poison and "processed" it. This could even set a time limit on reaching the destination. Just a random thought, thanks for the inspiration, Rodney.

Right, and actually, I was looking at the moon as exaggerating the dreamy/illusory quality of the 7 of cups, but maybe it's more the intuitive part I need to look at. Like, you'll go through delusion, but if you listen to your intuition, you'll get there?

Barleywine

Ahhh, like maybe the current state of the relationship (present) is not where they need to be and they'll go through a period of delusion before they reach the future outcome?

I think the Moon is always a bit like stepping in quicksand, you never know quite where you stand. So intuition may be just as faulty as reasoning. They may just have to "live" it rather than trying to "anticipate" it. Astrologically, the Moon is about habits and routines as much as it is about emotions, so they may have to sort out some questionable habits before they can move forward.

IndigoWaves

I'm utterly confused right now. I drew a past/present/future relationship for a client. After I drew those three, I asked "What is the path from present to future?" and drew the 7 of Cups clarified by the Moon. Which is, to my understanding, unrealistic dreams, self-delusion, etc.

If I'd drawn those cards as the path to a particular future scenario, I'd be questioning the interpretation that I'd settled on for that 'Future' card and/or the realities of the situation... The 7C and Moon, especially together, suggest that something is completely illusory, lacking practical "grounding", or at the very least not being seen clearly... So, if a desired change seemed to be shown in the 'Future', I'd strongly suspect that it won't be happening after all -- either because the card's message was misunderstood, or its apparent meaning can only be "real" within the client's mind/intense imagination (-which, by not seeing the truth, may keep a false scenario alive well into the future).

Ruby Jewel

There is nothing confusing about these cards for me. They speak clearly of what comprises the path. The 7 of Cups says these visions are quite pleasant figments, hopes and dreams of the imagination. The Moon card verifies this by showing that these images are generated by the subconscious layer of the psyche. In other words, none of it is real.

Annalise

If I'd drawn those cards as the path to a particular future scenario, I'd be questioning the interpretation that I'd settled on for that 'Future' card and/or the realities of the situation... The 7C and Moon, especially together, suggest that something is completely illusory, lacking practical "grounding", or at the very least not being seen clearly... So, if a desired change seemed to be shown in the 'Future', I'd strongly suspect that it won't be happening after all -- either because the card's message was misunderstood, or its apparent meaning can only be "real" within the client's mind/intense imagination (-which, by not seeing the truth, may keep a false scenario alive well into the future).

There is nothing confusing about these cards for me. They speak clearly of what comprises the path. The 7 of Cups says these visions are quite pleasant figments, hopes and dreams of the imagination. The Moon card verifies this by showing that these images are generated by the subconscious layer of the psyche. In other words, none of it is real.

I did wonder that - if the "path" cards were trying to tell me that the clients feelings were causing me to pull cards based on her self delusion. The present card was 2 of cups clarified by page of cups and the future was 3 of pentacles clarified by ace of cups.

I'm still relatively new at this and at times wonder how influenced I am by people's emotion.

Ruby Jewel

I did wonder that - if the "path" cards were trying to tell me that the clients feelings were causing me to pull cards based on her self delusion. The present card was 2 of cups clarified by page of cups and the future was 3 of pentacles clarified by ace of cups.

I'm still relatively new at this and at times wonder how influenced I am by people's emotion.

We await your thoughts on these last cards, as per Forum Rules.