9 of wands as hopes and desires in a relationship

Miradeck

In placing a spread for a newly formed friendship, I got the 9 of Wands as the other party's hopes, desires and needs in our relationship. I understand the 9 of Wands to be associated with someone who has been hurt and wants to give up. How does this card translate to a newly formed friendship's hopes? I see this relationship could potentially develop into something romantic so does that mean the person is wary of engaging too deep for fear of being hurt?

feminine_mystique

In placing a spread for a newly formed friendship, I got the 9 of Wands as the other party's hopes, desires and needs in our relationship. I understand the 9 of Wands to be associated with someone who has been hurt and wants to give up. How does this card translate to a newly formed friendship's hopes? I see this relationship could potentially develop into something romantic so does that mean the person is wary of engaging too deep for fear of being hurt?
As interesting enough that the man is hurt and injured. I could see that as a hopes and desires he wants you all to himself. He is holding onto the last wand to himself. Perhaps he is looking back at the past wands (people) and as a hope and desire he is hopeful that this wand he holds in his hands is his and he doesn't want to let it go. Have they perhaps been cheated on in the past. Or had betrayals of sorts from friends?

jenster

I never saw it as someone who wants to give up, he's not going anywhere. He's tired and hurt though not in an irreparable or deeply traumatic way (like, say, a few sword cards might depict). Perhaps you should keep that in mind in your approach with him, you should tread carefully.

He is wary but it's more of an existential fatigue. There is quite possibly past hurt but not bad enough (that or he is stronger than whatever happened to him) that he would stop participating in life.

He's probably not in the state of mind people are in when they consider the possibility of a new relationship (which requires at least some measure of hope) but -again- he hasn't left the stage.

I see the nine of wands as guarded but persevering. I don't see it as someone relationship-ready but I also don't see it as something that can't be easily changed. He's not in top shape (psychologically) but so we all are from time to time.

I hope this makes sense/resonates.

samantha

As the previous poster - yes, this guy is wary and watchful but he's already engaged in combat so is in a better position to pre empty or side step problems when they come his way again - I would say that he is hopeful that he can stay alert and avoid anything which might potentially *hurt* him again. This isn't someone whose previous woes/hurts have caused him to give up - he's still hanging in there.

Miradeck

Perhaps he is looking back at the past wands (people) and as a hope and desire he is hopeful that this wand he holds in his hands is his and he doesn't want to let it go. Have they perhaps been cheated on in the past. Or had betrayals of sorts from friends?

Thanks for the insight. I don't get the sense that she is looking to hold onto me and "own" me though. But it is true that she has had a tough relationship and is still hanging on to it not knowing if she should break off with the guy or not.

Miradeck

I see the nine of wands as guarded but persevering. I don't see it as someone relationship-ready but I also don't see it as something that can't be easily changed. He's not in top shape (psychologically) but so we all are from time to time.

I hope this makes sense/resonates.

Thanks for this insight, from my understanding, she has gone through a bad patch with her current boyfriend but is still hanging onto the relationship. That is probably what the 9oW is portraying. And since she is still hanging on, that's why I was wondering what type of hopes she would have from my friendly relationship with her. Guarded, still hanging on to the other, but willing to explore new options? Is that what this could mean?

Miradeck

I would say that he is hopeful that he can stay alert and avoid anything which might potentially *hurt* him again. This isn't someone whose previous woes/hurts have caused him to give up - he's still hanging in there.

Thanks for your comments, similar to my earlier response to another feedback, I'm inclined to think this is her being guarded but potentially open to new options.

jenster

Thanks for this insight, from my understanding, she has gone through a bad patch with her current boyfriend but is still hanging onto the relationship. That is probably what the 9oW is portraying. And since she is still hanging on, that's why I was wondering what type of hopes she would have from my friendly relationship with her. Guarded, still hanging on to the other, but willing to explore new options? Is that what this could mean?

Argh! I don't like asking/being asked about people in relationships!!

Considering her status (in a relationship) the meanings change a bit too.
I'm sorry I can't say more it's just not somewhere I go or want to go.

IndigoWaves

[...] from my understanding, she has gone through a bad patch with her current boyfriend but is still hanging onto the relationship. That is probably what the 9oW is portraying. And since she is still hanging on, that's why I was wondering what type of hopes she would have from my friendly relationship with her.
She may be on guard due to sensing your attraction/intent and neither sharing nor liking it, even if she has seemed amenable. There's really nothing in this card to me about "hope" or desire for anything, except perhaps to no longer feel hit on and/or checked-out: you may think that you've only come across as friendly, but her view could be quite different. Has she actually expressed some unmistakable interest in "more", or might you be barking up the wrong tree? Apparent flirting may have been misread or taken too seriously... And relationship problems don't necessarily mean that someone else is wanted, instead.

Miradeck

Has she actually expressed some unmistakable interest in "more", or might you be barking up the wrong tree? Apparent flirting may have been misread or taken too seriously... And relationship problems don't necessarily mean that someone else is wanted, instead.

Hi IndigoWaves,
Actually she made the first move to get to know me better and I went along with it. It was all friendliness but she did make some obvious moves during the outings (yes to me that is unmistakeable & maybe even deliberate). Maybe she was just flirting I don't know. And I didn't know about her relationship situation until much later when she confided in me so I decided to lay down some cards to see what she's actually looking out for.