Discussion Group - Sixes

Poledra

After a bit of a break, I think we are ready to dive back into the minors of the RWS. The sixes come after the change inherent in the fives. What does that mean for the images and how does the numerology of sixes fit with the images of the RWS? How do you feel about these cards and how do you interpret the images?

Poledra

re-pete-a

reconstructed ........after the choices/outlooks of the fives...6's resulting from those changes
________
Uggs

HoneyBea

I find it can be a number that signifies for us communication, realization as well as harmony, balance and healing — so 6 can very often allow us the time to use this respite after the disruption of the 5's to move onwards and upwards.
By that I mean they help us to stop and see the good that surround us and allow us to actually appreciate what we have got. The Major Arcana Card this relates to is The Lovers, and suggests warmth, love, relationships and choices.

So take each pip and what do we have:

Wands: give us a moment or two to reflect on our achievements, enjoy where we have arrived, but it also reminds us that we need to keep moving if we are to maintain a certain amount of success in life.

Cups: The chance here to reflect and understand how the past has affected us but also the opportunity here to choose whether we allow the past to be the future or use the past to help us form the future.

Swords: The opportunity to move out of a strife situation and create a resolution - again the opportunity exists to understand the situation in order to bring the change.

Pentacles: Here is where we appreciate what we have, and learn the lesson that sharing brings the greatest rewards.

Just a few thoughts on the 6

~Honey Bea~

rcb30872

Six of Wands ~ The card depicts what can be seen to be someone that has come back from battle, or someone bearing a message so to speak. Either way the man on the horse is well received by the crowd. Like they are applauding him. This is what the card is mainly about, receiving the applause, accolades, acclaim and a pat on the back after triumph and victory. Since the man is still on the horse can indicate that the journey or the task at hand is not finished. It could mean to get off your high horse.

Six of Pentacles ~ A man is giving coins, with two men kneeling by his feet. This indicates generosity, but also one giving to the on that is at most of need, as the other may appears that he doesn't need anything, but he wants it. It could indicate generosity, giving and receiving, having your basic needs met. It may also indicate greed, in the sense that you are wanting to take more than you actually need, on the flip side of that it may indicate being taken advantage of.

Six of Swords ~ A woman and a child sit on a boat that has been steered by a man. It may indicate literally a journey over water. It indicates leaving a place of turmoil to a place of tranquility. I also wonder if that indicates someone striring you, as the waters beside where the oar is turbulent.

Six of Cups ~ A boy and girl standing together when the boy is offering flowers inside a cup to the girl. This could indicate children, the past or childhood or even the beginning of something new. I usually equate to this being nostalgic, being stuck in the past, unable to move on. Alternatively, it could indicate revisiting your childhood, or past, and working towards a dream you had in yoru childhood or past to make it a reality. Whatever this may indicate, the flowers may indicate what was a dream, a seed has blossomed into something.

Berbatov

rcb30872[b said:
Six of Cups[/b] ~ A boy and girl standing together when the boy is offering flowers inside a cup to the girl. This could indicate children, the past or childhood or even the beginning of something new. I usually equate to this being nostalgic, being stuck in the past, unable to move on. Alternatively, it could indicate revisiting your childhood, or past, and working towards a dream you had in yoru childhood or past to make it a reality. Whatever this may indicate, the flowers may indicate what was a dream, a seed has blossomed into something.
Does anyone have any ideas on what sort of flowers these are supposed to be?

Berb

Teheuti

Berbatov said:
Does anyone have any ideas on what sort of flowers these are supposed to be?
I asked a professional herbalist and gardener. She couldn't find an exact match. If I remember right, they are closest to jasmine but, of course, way too big. The traditional meaning for the jasmine flower in the "language of flowers" is "amiability , I attach myself to you, sensuality, attachment," which seems perfect.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_B8D0VRevLTc/Rut9XmPiBYI/AAAAAAAAAgo/f2TvYJdRu4s/s1600-h/jasmine.jpg

One other possibility that I know of is a white hibiscus - but I think that's pretty rare and not as close in appearance as the jasmine.

Mary

Berbatov

Teheuti said:
I asked a professional herbalist and gardener. She couldn't find an exact match. If I remember right, they are closest to jasmine but, of course, way too big. The traditional meaning for the jasmine flower in the "language of flowers" is "amiability , I attach myself to you, sensuality, attachment," which seems perfect.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_B8D0VRevLTc/Rut9XmPiBYI/AAAAAAAAAgo/f2TvYJdRu4s/s1600-h/jasmine.jpg

One other possibility that I know of is a white hibiscus - but I think that's pretty rare and not as close in appearance as the jasmine.

Mary
Good picture, and the symbolism seems ok from a divinatory point of view.

I have heard of other contenders such as various nightshades and campanulas, though I don't expect we will ever know for sure.

My current favourite is the Star of Bethlehem;
http://zimbabwe.poetryinternationalweb.org/piw_cms/cms/cms_module/index.php?cwolk_id=21549&x=1
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20021222/spectrum/garden.htm

Also, have you seen The Ressurection by Carl Bloch?
http://www.cscholar.com/obs/art/000022.htm

Berb

Teheuti

Berbatov said:
The Star of Bethlehem doesn't look much like the flowers in the 6 of Cups - too frilly. Most flowers known as "star flowers" have six petals, not five, like those in the painting you mention below:
Also, have you seen The Ressurection by Carl Bloch?
http://www.cscholar.com/obs/art/000022.htm
Once we start changing the flower that much then we open the door to dozens of possibilities that vary significantly from the flowers in the card.

Mary

Berbatov

Teheuti said:
The Star of Bethlehem doesn't look much like the flowers in the 6 of Cups - too frilly. Most flowers known as "star flowers" have six petals, not five, like those in the painting you mention below:

Most, but not all;
http://users.skynet.be/avroonen/plant040.html

I think the symbolism is more important than finding the real flower, if indeed there is a real flower to be found. And the symbol of the Star of Bethlehem has five points.

These flowers in the Six of Cups are fascinating. Perfect five pointed white stars. I think there is something going on there, above and beyond the illustration of a divinatory meaning. Perhaps a representation of the Microprosopus, (associated both with Tiphareth and the five pointed star) and the Garden of Eden, "Children in an old garden.."

Once we start changing the flower that much then we open the door to dozens of possibilities that vary significantly from the flowers in the card.
Mary
There are quite a few five petalled flowers in that Bloch picture, but I don't know what sort they might be, it was thrown in as curiosity rather than a definitive answer. As I said before, I'm not sure this flower exists in the natural world.

Berb

Teheuti

Berbatov said:
Most, but not all;
http://users.skynet.be/avroonen/plant040.html

I think the symbolism is more important than finding the real flower, if indeed there is a real flower to be found. And the symbol of the Star of Bethlehem has five points.
How fabulous! I've looked at quite a few pictures of the Star of Bethlehem when I was trying to figure out which flower matched best and didn't find one like this. It's perfect. Thank you for finding it.

I've done a little more looking and it seems that several totally different kinds of flowers are called "Star of Bethlehem" or "Star Flowers".

The one you found is a Campanula isophylla or Italian Bellflower or "Falling Stars," which is grown as a pot or house plant. I've been unable to find any meanings associated with it.

There is also the "Laurentia Longiflora" of South and Central America.

And, the more commonly referred to six-petaled European Ornithogalum umbellatum (related to the field onion), which is used in Bach Flower Remedies for shock "Dr. Bach called this remedy 'the comforter and soother of pains and sorrows.'" "Such persons often seek to anesthetize this trauma in inappropriate ways, such as through drugs, occult ritual, or a numbing of awareness. There is a longing and seeking for a part of the Spiritual Self which seems inaccessible." In the "language of flowers" it stands for hope.