Sleeping on a card

Sophie-David

Sophie-David said:
I have slept with decks tucked under the pillow, inside the pillowslip, for several reasons...for Legend: The Arthurian Tarot I have just finished working through the 78 cards, one card per night...I realized that the unconscious was inviting me to continue with this dream programming throughout the deck...When the 78 nights ended last week, there were two unpleasant nights when the dream world seemed to miss the guidance of dream programming, and I spent these nights in chaotic dreams and broken sleep.
If this dream programming works for you, I would suggest that it is not a good idea to do this for 78 nights straight. Having done so, I've realized that keeping the unconscious controlled in this way for 2-1/2 months is unhealthy and limits one's natural growth. If I did this again I would take a break for a few days after the Majors and after each suit also. By keeping the dreamworld continuously constrained for 78 days I increased psychic stress and self-induced a Wasteland experience. The dreamworld is still trying to catch up to where is should be at this point in the journey. I guess you live and learn!

Ivy Rhiannon

tarotbear said:
PINNED to your underwear? Don't make any fast moves! There is some UK company that makes men's underwear with an 'inside pocket' (For what reason? Condoms?) but carrying a card around in my shirt pocket is fine - I am not sticking anything in my underwear. Are you serious? Do you let people shuffle this deck after you have carried cards around near you private parts? Talk about "pulling something out of your butt!" LOL!!!

ROTFLMAO! No offense Bonnycat! But that's funny. But carring a card around all day does make sense. Gives you time to reflect on it. I have slept with them under my pillow before too, when I was learning them.

bassetized

wandking said:
...in my case not only Tarot but other things I pondered just before falling asleep seem to work themselves out. Perhaps my subconscious mind sorts through the information and is able to find things my conscious mind fails to recognize.

I don't sleep with the cards literally under my pillow, but I agree with wandking that "sleeping on" a card or spread in the metaphorical sense is often very helpful. I draw my cards for the next day at night right before falling asleep (mostly because I'm a night person and not coherent in the am), :) and give them a quick glance in the morning, and I often find that I wake up with new insight into the cards. It works for writer's block pretty well, too (I learned the technique in a writing class).

Lurea

ROFL at underwear comments-- I've never carried a deck or a card in my undies or bra, but do keep my fave with me in my purse all the time.

When I was having trouble bonding with a deck, I slept with it underneath my pillow. The pro was I did feel much more bonded and began to get fantastically accurate readings. Even now, it's still one of my favorite decks. The con was I woke up with a sore neck. In fact, I woke up once or twice in the nights, thinking there was a rock in my pillow :rolleyes:

I like the idea of putting one card under your pillow or next to your bed--I'm definitely going to try it!

Interesting thoughts on writer's block, BTW. Thanks.

Elven

I posted recently about putting cards under the pillow and I'm a great believer of this method to becoming attuned to a deck or a card/s I cant figure out. Ive never bent a card in my sleep though I throw it in my pillow case now as I got sick of losing them under my bed where other things of the deep are lurking. (Like my odd socks, old games, dust and a spare familiar).
Bras are a good holder though - you put the card into the pocket where the padded bit should be - dont wear a T-shirt though - nor try stuffing a whole deck in there - you get some funny looks.
but back to the subject ... I have just started studying Playing cards to read with, and I keep the study book and cards near at night. I read the book just before I fall asleep and keep the cards on the bedside table as I have not done a reading with them yet. I will open them and put them under the pillow when I finish reading the book. Thats the plan at the moment anyway. I notice that I am constantly enthused all day about my night time study. I really look forward to it, and even though I have a bad memory these cards are starting to click in.

Love and Light in a c-cup

Elven x

satinangel

I have slept with my deck under my pillow...in their drawstring bag. I am still very new to the study of Tarot, but I do believe that doing this has helped tremendously. I feel more "in tune" with my cards.

In an earlier post someone stated (sorry didn't grab the quote) that the cards seem to carry a warmth after sleeping on them. I definitely agree with this statement.

One the nights that I sleep with them under my pillow, I've found I have incredibly vivid dreams, all of which have been pleasant!

satinangel

Shallah

I have been putting my new decks under my mattress on the boxspring

hoping this would infuse my energy in them a bit. So far no dreams which is just as four decks battling it out in my psyche would be a bit stressful!

I will try the one card at a time later once I feel I have charged all of the decks enough.

annabubble

hmmm, tried this last night and don't think it worked. I asked my cards which one i needed to dream about and got the magician...
...and then had a Mean Girls-style dream.

this didn't make sense to me. Although i had just spent three - four hours with two girls who hate me and kept giving me dirty looks so i'm thinking maybe that messed it up?

btw it wasn't my choice to spend time with them, a mutual friend forgot to mention they would be coming along...:)

Caity

Sleeping with cards

I was wondering if sleeping with them beneath my head UNDER the bed was okay? I don't want them to bend or get lost. I'm just wondering if it would have the same affect if they were under the bed and not right under the pillow. I've been doing this for a while, since I'm brand new to this and I have been trying to keep the cards on me every where I go so I can feel more tuned-in to them.

BusyScholar

I was wondering if sleeping with them beneath my head UNDER the bed was okay? I don't want them to bend or get lost. I'm just wondering if it would have the same affect if they were under the bed and not right under the pillow. I've been doing this for a while, since I'm brand new to this and I have been trying to keep the cards on me every where I go so I can feel more tuned-in to them.

I see that you're new here. I am, too! So welcome to AT and hopefully this isn't just the blind leading the blind, but I'm going to throw in my two cents. It really shouldn't matter where you put your cards, as long as you're doing so with intent. This seems to be true from both the religious/occult/new age/superstitious/*insert other words of this sort* perspective and the psychological perspective.

I'm not going to speak on the first perspective because there are many people who could articulate that position much better than I, but I will speak to the psychological aspect of placing cards under your pillow at night. I'm currently a college student perusing a double major in business, and to do so I have to take psychology classes. In my psych class we discussed quite thoroughly about the idea of "sleeping" on an idea, and while psychologists initially thought that sleeping would cause you to lose the material you had just learned, recent studies are showing that students who study and then sleep retain information better than those who do not.

So looking at your cards and contemplating their meanings before you place them under your pillow (or your bed in this case) before you go to bed could help you retain that information. If you're curious about more info on the psychological aspect, you can post a response here if it has to do with Tarot, and if it doesn't PM me and I'll try to answer any other questions you have.

Hope this wasn't too long or boring for anyone to get through, but for me this is fascinating stuff! :)

--Gibby