The Big boy Publishers

moonman

Hey

Has anyone had NO response from publishers.

I know you have to send a SAE if you want your submission returned. Also they must get tons of submissions every day.

But I'm starting to wonder are they just rude not to even give you a reply even if it's a no.

allibee

In the general world of art and art directors/editors, if its been more that 4 - 6 weeks, it doesn't hurt to give them a follow up call, explaining that it is just that, a follow up call.

allibee

Page

Don't give up

Moonman

I don't know how long you've been waiting but I would do as allibee mentioned.

I have had a resonse from 2 of the large publishers within one hour from e-mailing them, that was a few of weeks ago. Also I sent a submission in to one publisher before and I did get a reply as I sent a SAE and that was a no.

I wasn't bitter about it. I will just try another publishers or self publish if you have the $$$$$

Just tell yourself that you do not need your work to be approved to make yourself valid. The publishers may have their own reasons why they should or should'nt accept work. But I think they should send a reply regardless.

Anyway good luck:*

RiccardoLS

Speaking from the Publisher point of view.

Sometimes things get lost, or one person thinks someone else has given an answer.
A follow up call/mail/letter is always better... neither too humble, neither too aggressive. Imho.

Riccardo

tarotbear

4-6 weeks?

Who are you kidding?

The book publishing world moves very slowly - it could take you 3-4 months just to get a 'no' response, much less receive your materials back, if they even send them back despite the postage you paid for their return (Llewellyn NEVER returned my manuscript or floppy... and I got a computer-generated rejection letter, too!)

My book went through acquisitions, to an occult editor, and back to acquisitions...four months ago.

Take my word for it- send out multiple submissions - even if it is considered tacky- because it will take so much time for them to get back to you; you are wasting time if you don't.

JosephMartin

Working with a Publisher

There is not an author alive who doesn't have Publisher stories. (challenges, etc.)

Here is what I did when I sent out my work to different Publishers.

My very good friend Anysia, who does Professional Astrology, recommended I get a chart done on the deck I was creating. This was before the book was written and a good 1/3 of the deck was still not finished. She did my chart and it showed that if I didn't find a publisher withing 4 months that there would be a 1-2 year delay in getting published.

I immediately created a CD showing my work and printed out samples of the cards. I sent out three envelopes to the "Big Three" Tarot publishers. Here is what happened. One politely said, "Thank you but no thank you." One never returned my mail. And the third, Llewellyn Worldwide Publishing said, "Yes!" They called me right away and we set up a publishing schedule.

Things move like mud in the publishing world so expect delays, etc. But don't give up hope!!! Keep working on your project and keep sending out your work for review.

yours in the cards,
Joseph

RiccardoLS

It also depend on the person you gain the attention on.
For instance in Llewellyn it was 90% Barbara Moore, wasn't her?
And she is one of the best person I worked with (imho).

R.

Page

Save time and propose

JosephMartin I’m happy to hear your good news!:D

What about sending a proposal submission before you have completed your deck/book.

That’s what I done.

However if the publishers like your proposal, this does not mean that they have said YES as there might be a few changes etc.

It’s worth it as it saves your time and any big swear words, which you be sure to have if you have completed the entire deck/book and the Publishers said no.

JosephMartin

Getting Published

RiccardoLS said:
It also depend on the person you gain the attention on.
For instance in Llewellyn it was 90% Barbara Moore, wasn't her?
And she is one of the best person I worked with (imho).

R.

Yes, I think that Barbara Moore at Llewellyn Publishing is wonderful!!!!!

Even when we had different opinions about the Quest Tarot, she was always truthful and helpful. She is one amazing woman and a true professional.

It's best to secure a publisher BEFORE you have finished your Deck/Book. You'll need to have full color samples ready to send or chapters that you have finished with an outline and ideas about who this will appeal to.

Llewellyn has a form you fill out with a bunch of questions BEFORE you submit work. So does US Games and others.

Good Luck and keep at it. Sometimes it just takes time to get it out there in the world.

yours in the cards,
Joseph

scheherazade

Now... what are the three big publishing companies? I only knew of Llewellyn.