HoF Study: Oh No!, The Juggler, In Two Minds

Satori

So these three cards popped up today as cards that are a bit bothersome for some of the folks using the Heart of Faery.

49 Oh No!

46 The Juggler

51 In Two Minds

In the HoF Circle we are talking about whether or not some of us will banish certain fae from our decks. For several participants these cards prove to be troubling, and I admit, two of them are sort of bleh for me. 46 and 51 are two of my least favorites, but I do have a warm spot for the bizarre looking Oh No! faery. In fact, I have thought about coloring him a little bit...but that might make him too cartoony.

I thought we might try to get these three talking a bit, and at least all of us talking about what some of their redeeming qualities might be, and what we just can't tolerate.

In Two Minds:

At first I just saw two creatures butting heads.

Today I kept forcing myself to see the thing as one being, not two. I put my fingers around the outer part and isolated only the face, and it became easier to see the creature as one creature.

Froud like to blend faces, create a morphed creature, so with this one I think it is in the blending and then in the sort of figure/ground shifting that you begin to lose sight of the faery and see instead the two butt heads.

I now see him as laying on his stomach. His legs extend out behind him...and all we see is his face, and all that big brain....and hair.

His shape is sort of like a brain. left and right brain....

then he lost his legs and I imagined him rolling like a tumbleweed....stopping every so often to stare out...a little mindlessly. Arent we all of two minds?

the upper right corner of the card, showing part of his nose and mouth is what I decided I dislike most about the card. It just doesn't work.

He still isn't a favorite....but I might see him differently now.

Any one care to have a crack at the other two? I'll be back later with another stab at them myself....

:)

Le Fanu

What bothers me about the Juggler is the fact that bits of his body drip off him. What kind of being is this that has bits of liquid sloshing off his head? Very odd. What would that susbtance be? Redeeming feature is that he isn't so sketchy as some of the others!

"In Two Minds" I don't mind but isn't a favourite. I don't like "Oh no!" I have realised I don't really like the sketchy ones, the goofy ones. I find that I prefer my Oracles to be quite serious!

Ivy Rhiannon

I saw once that someone posted for the Oh no! "its like he jumped on the card and sucked all the color and fun off it." Made me laugh :p I think this is a very good description of the card!

autumn star

What bothers me about the Juggler is the fact that bits of his body drip off him. What kind of being is this that has bits of liquid sloshing off his head? Very odd. What would that susbtance be? Redeeming feature is that he isn't so sketchy as some of the others!

Thanks for pointing that out, I had never noticed that before. I just put the Messenger & The Juggler together and I find that they are quite similar - both moving in the same direction, one foot in the air one foot on the ground (in motion), and both with annoying facial expressions. What irks me the most about these two cards is the facial expression on them. I think that the Juggler could be my least favorite card from the deck, actually.

As for In Two Minds, it might not be the most attractive but it captures the situation of what being in two minds could be like. I would know since I am constantly in this state. In Two Minds is stuck because he can't make up his mind what he wants to do or where he wants to go and I think the card reflects that quite well. The background seems unfinished or something. I feel ok about this card and it doesn't bother me.

Oh No! is an unusual card it is quite stark compared to other cards in the deck. It suits its name though. The creature in this card reminds me of a person who I used to know actually. So, when I see this card I think of them ... and because I don't have the fondest memories of them I think Oh No!,so it all fits together for me.

Satori

I sort of like the Juggler.

I don't know what he is made of, but we lose skin cells all the time, hair falls off of us, our noses leak, our ears leak, we poop, we piss....we sweat....we stink some of the time. Who says we aren't just as weird as the poor Juggler! In fact, he is a very ecological kind of guy. He isn't polluting anything. He creates his own balls, and when he's done with them they probably evaporate.

More important, what might he mean in a spread??? I don't even know what he means in the book....but one idea might be....what you don't need let it go. Play with it for a bit, then let it go. Keep moving. So many of the fae are illustrated as lounging around, but not this one. He is on the move, happy, playful and by the looks of it, one eyed.

Lokisen

I'm not crazy about the Juggler or "oh no!" but i do kind of like in two minds, because I agree w/ autumn star, it feels like it does fit when one is indecisive about something. One card I don't care for especially, which I've mentioned, is the big behind--it's kind of connected to "oh no!" in terms of meaning, at least I think so. The queen of laughter, for example, while having some pretty artwork, is also a scamp. I agree w/ Le Fanu, I tend to prefer the more serious cards in the deck, too; I think they resonate better w/ me.

Satori

I read for a friend yesterday and In Two Minds came up. I read it straight as a split focus, or confusion, and of course the person said, yes.

All in all the deck read well. I was happy with results.

Sethan

My take on the Juggler

This morning I took some time to write about the Juggler and after I finished and was about to post my input, everything was deleted since I had to log in again o_O All was gone! I think the Juggler played a trick on me and to bad I didn't save. Well, now I am more prepared and I will try to make contact once more with the Juggler and hope I will get some answers x_o

The Juggler

The word juggling derives from the Middle English jogelen (to entertain by performing tricks), in turn from the Old French jangler. There is also the Late Latin form joculare of Latin joculari, meaning to jest.[1] "Juggling" may be used metaphorically, like "multi-tasking," to mean constantly refocusing attention among responsibilities, such as in the title of the PBS documentary Juggling Work and Family.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juggling

The Juggler, a water spirit (as he shows himself to me) called in german the Nöck or Nix, is a trickster and illusionist, who can bless and lie to you as he wishes. It's hard to say if you can trust him, but it's told that he saved people from drowning, while he doese lure people into his watery domain were he keeps their souls in pots. He like to juggle with truth and words, likes to put a spell on you and appears as someone he's not. His hair is made up from ethereal water (that's how he gets the balls to juggle with) and he can split up into many beings at will. Try to catch and hold him and he slips like water through your hands. The big question is, can I trust the Juggler? Do I trust myself? The Juggler speaks about juggeling your life, your many roles you play in it. Who are you at work? Who are you with your lover, with your children? Who are you seven years ago and who are you seven seconds ago? The Juggler is in motion like water and seems to lead you somewhere. But where? As a blessing the Juggler can help to multitask your daily life and teach you to be play and joyful. As a curse he can blind you from the truth, mirrow your insecurity and bring your life out of balance. For me the Juggler is a two sided card and should be observed in connection with other cards surrounding it. The Juggler can warn you in one of his positive aspects from liars and help you to see the truth.
The Juggler = to juggle your life, be playful, stay in motion, Who am I and how many? , multitasking, to entertain you and others, liars, to be blinded, to loose control in life, burnout, to juggle the truth and words, to wear a mask.

A person who learns to juggle six balls will be more skilled than the person who never tries to juggle more than three.
Marilyn vos Savant

Some scenes you juggle two balls, some scenes you juggle three balls, some scenes you can juggle five balls. The key is always to speak in your own voice. Speak the truth. That's Acting 101. Then you start putting layers on top of that.
John Burroughs

"Lifes a struggle if you cant juggle"
"Juggling is throwing things up and hoping they wont fall"

Have a great day :)
P.s. Wish my english was a little better...

Sethan

I saw once that someone posted for the Oh no! "its like he jumped on the card and sucked all the color and fun off it." Made me laugh :p I think this is a very good description of the card!

Thanks for sharing! x_x