anyone have this happen with their moonstone.....

starchaser1277

I gave a friend of mine a moonstone as she did not have one and she collects crystals. She said she had it placed on her bedside table, and she had shut her lights off to go to bed for the night, she claims the stone was glowing a blue Hugh. Is she nuts? I don't believe she is telling tall tails, as she is a very honest person, however,no am disbelieving her account. So I'm just curious if this has happened to anyone else?

Aivli

Yes!!! I have lots of moonstones, they're actually my favorites.

I have a set of round moonstone stud earrings, and a round moonstone pendant/necklace that I wear almost every day. When I take these off at night they have a slight blue glow to them in the dark. It fades after a few hours, because when I wake up in the middle of the night they are not glowing anymore or are even more faint. If I don't wear them for a few days, they stop doing it. But after a few days of consecutive wearing they will start again.

Don't get me wrong- it's not super bright like, say, a glow stick or something. But its enough that my husband has noticed, too

My other pieces of moonstone jewelry do not do this, but like I said wear this this necklace and earring set almost daily. I don't have any loose moonstone crystals, though.

So, no. I don't think your friend is crazy (as far as I can tell). (o:

I'm not sure if this this happens with a lot of people, or other moonstones, or what...or exactly how or why or what causes it. It be nice to find out, though.

Padma

Some forms of Labradorite, mistakenly called "Rainbow Moonstone", is milky white to ice clear, and has a light blue, luminous sheen to it. Perhaps this is what your friend is describing...?

Aivli, perhaps your moonstones absorb light. Phosphorescence is not unusual in some stones and crystals - in fact, in the Smithsonian institute of natural history, they have a display of stones/crystals that glow in the dark :)

starchaser1277

Thank you both for responding I'm so glad this is something the stone does do, she seemed a little weirded out by it, both of us had no idea that this stone could do this. She called me last night a seemed a little shocked that it did it again lol
I have several moonstones and mine haven't done this so I honestly didn't believe what she was saying about this. Now I feel a little badly for being a skeptical about her experience with the stone.