Can crystals start by doing the opposite of their usual?

MandMaud

Well, my necklace sat on the windowsill for the night of the full moon and then we managed to sunbathe together on Sunday so it had a good dose of both!

I decided to wear it all day from waking yesterday, and felt great apart from a hypo (low blood sugar) which was hardly the stone's fault. Howewver I'd also felt great the day before, so it's hard to say what difference it made.

Was less good Monday but that was after a late night...

Tues/Wed I had "one of my attacks" (doesn't that sound hypochondriac!) which does happen sometimes. Could be because I'd been so full of beans that I'd overdone it without feeling as if I was... or could have been because I'd taken my homeopathy at shorter intervals than usual for a couple of doses...

So many variables and so much fluctuation even when I make no changes.

This morning I was (very uncharacteristically) very depressed, full of despair and overwhelm and couldn't cheer up. It went away, more or less, after getting active. An effect or after-effect of the carnelian? It kicked in before I wore it today and improved after I had it on. Or a post-attack thing (I have weird neurological stuff going on, including cyclical migraine-esque mood things which can be interesting!).

My answers to each of you got too big, so I'm separating them or they'll be one unreadable clump of text.

Most of this reply/set of replies was typed a few days ago but with one thing and anotehr I didn't make it back here till now. That's why it's so long, I've had time to think around the subject. :) Many thanx for all thoughts and this really does feel as if it feeds into other strands of thought in the ongoing working-out of what's actually going on for me (which I think many others have in common so it's not a purely self-centred investigation).

:) mm

ps. While copying n pasting these in, I realised I'm sitting next to a big chunk of rose quartz on the windowsill! It's been there quietly forgotten for months. It's not mine (I don't buy large!), either my ex's (left behind deliberately or carelessness) or my mother's (inherited and dumped somewhere while unpacking boxes); most likely his as he does buy big, she didn't. Will it need cleansing? or has it maybe been working away happily for me all along?

MandMaud

@ Lotus Padma: Funny you should say black tourmaline! I've worn that a lot since last year when I learnt of it; was living with a very negative energy - but he's moved out now! :D so I only wear it when I have a difficult phone call or something that could be similarly draining. With that I really can tell the difference, not sure I could at the beginning though.

Amethyst, aventurine, citrine, rose quartz, ruby... I have most of those and could try them in turn if needed. I have (?)anyolite, I mean the one that has ruby within something else - and that one I love - hm...

My Ascendant too is in Sagittarius so I was expecting this full moon period to be like a great new start. I have felt that, but also now the "lagging/flagging" of the waning moon so have to slow down for a couple of weeks. (I don't know much about eclipses' effect but here http://bit.ly/bigskyscorpeclipse is a good article on this one by April Elliott Kent; she is quite negative about it! Hers is a good website, very readable.)

Oh, and yes thank you I have an "official" diagnosis so all this woowoo stuff ;) is extra to the official management of my fm. In fact I've learnt far more from the UK conference (been four times now) than the doctors. As always they're rather behind with the research.

MandMaud

@ danieljuk: I often find rose quartz recmomended for me (listed under whatever I'm looking up) and haven't yet tried it because something makes me not want to. Perhaps because it's not terribly "exotic"? !! Or perhaps an instinct that it will awaken some uncomfortable feelings, hm... But that's a bit like not being able to meditate, finding it harder to do when you *really* need to than when you're already fairly centred. Know what I mean? (I do meditate now but it took me years to get to this stage.)

Connecting this to the odd mood as well, perhaps, I mean the carnelian bringing up stuff that needs clearing out. ...? From memory, eclipses (without looking back at that article) do stir up the unseen that needs to be seen, unless I'm remembering that from somewhere else and not eclipses. (Must re-read!)

Rather than research each kind of crystal, I just avoid using water and have always cleansed in moonlight on my windowsill since it's easiest! Instinct told me carnelian would prefer the sun, but it happened to get that since our (entire?) summer happened for a couple of hours this weekend. The black tourmaline and a mookaite shared the windowsill. (I'm with you on intent. Sometimes I feel I simply tell a crystal, or other thing, what I needwant and that does the trick whatever the method.) Since trying it a few times last year, I had it hanging with other necklaces until this full moon, so maybe it has helped them. Don't know what made me (a) go back to it and (b) ask here about it, now.

Thanks for the study group link (and those others), I'll eavesdrop there. This much interacting on forums has turned out to be more than I can fit it in this month! but need to pursue this methinx.

The extra drive/oomph from carnelian is what I need, I do think, not physical or even mental stimulation but sort of motivation. I am fiercely motivated in my various ongoing projects, but they're all daunting and when daunted I am aware I step back to the point of consciously procrastinating, and worse (less controllable), even forgetting the tasks are even there to be done. That has been generally less bad this week of wearing carnelian.

My overall life force was better to start with, this week, than last time I tried carnelian which was last year - even though I'm cumulatively tired after the last several months. I believe that's why it has been easier this time.

MandMaud

@ shelikes2read: You make sense about rest. Rest is the hub of the management that's working best for my condition, among all the techniques I've tried. I keep the oddest hours and need professional-athlete discipline for it, but when I keep it up it works! and a lot of that is the discipline of resting most physically and mentally. It is a skill that's slow in the learning. The most useful thing I've been told is that we should rest when *not* tired because that's when our fibres do the best mending. So much is counter-intuitive / counter-instinctive! Getting the hang of it gradually though. I wonder if you're right about the carnelian pointing up this need; makes perfect sense. That would also go with today mood glitch. I will try wearing it for my daily lie-down and at night and report back...

There's this really strong sense that I nearly "understand" my conditions. FM is one of them*, but they all have a theme - cycles, balance, doing the opposite of what you feel, I mean rest when full of beans and push through when tired, be logical when moody and harken to the emotions when "cold"... Call it White Queen Syndrome (??)! I strongly feel it all makes sense and I'm "nearly there" getting it.
* Not being secretive but it would be too many details here!

Oh. Does that last paragraph give anyone a clue as to another crystal that might be appropriate?

MandMaud

@ DownwardSpiral: You think the way I do, it seems! About the amping-up etc. That reminds me of the fact that Ritalin is not a tranquilliser but a stimulant - that the hyperactive are more "hyper" when tired/weak (eg my mildly ADHD son).

Yes, fm is essentially neurological even though usually managed under rheumatology. I don't know about calming the nerves - as far as I know it is correct that they're over-active, but there are also too many of them :( as a response to pain over a period of time is to build more receptors. That's a very lay person's explanation but it's how I understand it (from hearing "real" researchers if you know what I mean.)

Taking my eyes off the scientific approach and going by feel, I'd say I need less oomph in the physical but much more in the, erm, emotional / psyche / life force / spiritual - haven't decided on my own name for it - I don't mean mental (intellectual) clarity but the "self"ness. Fire/Wands in tarot. (There's plenty of fire in my birth chart so identifying this was a surprise.)

I'm not rejecting your thoughts on more of what I already have - feels like it is true - but at the same time, for now I'm not acting on those thoughts. They're in storage for more gradual consideration/experimentation. :)

Your experience of amplified hate-feelings goes with the other things in this thread about turning up versus turning down the "volume". I suspect that's what happened today with my mood. I'm thinking I need to continue through this stage rather than dropping out yet.

I had to look up tourmilated quartz (I do love that site) and found out why it's called tourmilated: because of tourmaline... d'oh. ;) Which as I say I am familiar with. Actually I had trouble with black tourmaline in the first week, it was far too strong for me, but now we get on fine together. Was advised to keep it somewhere near instead of on my person which got me through that stage.

Looked up labradorite too. That seems to be all about intuition, spirit etc, not energy as such?

shelikes2read

Incidentally, if you are in search of black tourmaline, one place to find it is in Dalmatian Jasper. The black spots in that stone are caused by rods of black tourmaline (aka schorl) imbedded in the light-colored jasper, which give the appearance of spots when the stone is cut and polished.

I'm used to seeing the term "tourmalated quartz" because that was how it was phrased when I first started studying crystals. However, I have lately seen the same stone referred to as "tourmalinated quartz". So if you see either of those terms, it means the same thing: quartz with tourmaline inclusions.

stonesatiety

MandMaud: I've had good results using rutilated quartz for neurologically related issues. My main tool is a silver-rutilated sphere about 3 3/4"/9.7cm in diameter. I also have a number of smaller crystals with gold rutiles. To assist with back pain--I had a disk fusion years ago--I regularly sleep with the sphere between my legs. It rolls behind me when I turn. I wake up feeling great.

Karrma

Someone mentioned about wearing the carnelian for a shorter amount of time at first. I would also agree with trying that, and slowly increasing the time with this. That is what helps the "healing crisis" for many other medical treatments, slow increasing.

MandMaud

Incidentally, if you are in search of black tourmaline, one place to find it is in Dalmatian Jasper. The black spots in that stone are caused by rods of black tourmaline (aka schorl)
I didn't know that! :) Relates again to ADHD - at least I think that's the one I once bought for my hyper son...

MandMaud: I've had good results using rutilated quartz for neurologically related issues.
I wonder - thanks! {zooms off to read about rutilated quartz...}

Someone mentioned about wearing the carnelian for a shorter amount of time at first. I would also agree with trying that, and slowly increasing the time with this. That is what helps the "healing crisis" for many other medical treatments, slow increasing.
I'm glad you reminded me, as I almost replied that I am doig that and then realised I haven't been. As one does ;)

And hey folks, I've finally worked out how to do multiquote! :D

MandMaud

PS. I forgot about the suggestion to wear the carnelian lower on the body. Makes nice sense but sooner or later I'd drop it down the loo if I tried it in my jeans pocket! (Maybe on the chair next to me if I'm sitting.)