Christian Tarot Reader

Tanga

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I am a Christian. I was wondering if there were other Christians on this forum... Does it bring up conflicts for you to use the cards?

No longer being Christian (Roman Catholic) and knowing what a challenging place it can be to be where you are - my comment is. If God created us - then everything we perceive and create ourselves (which includes Tarot) he must also permit, because he created our free will to do these things.
It's up to us to decide where these things will lead us. The evil, if any - is in us and how we decide to move forward (it's not something that can be dictated to us by someone else - though of course, that's what people do).

Here's another thought:
http://www.moonchild.ch/Tarot/DBT/
Moonchild is/was an ATer.

...I feel like some people are not searching for God though. Like maybe they are going away from God, instead of drawing near.

And that - is their choice.

...I don't understand when people say "universe" because I think God created the universe so shouldn't we pray to him instead? The universe is so impersonal, like praying to the moon.

A matter of personal opinion.
And (as has been said) believing that you alone have the one true TRUTH - could be a pitfall.
IMO - the energy of the Universe - IS God. :)
And today - I am one of those, who chooses to relate to him in the form of a Goddess - sometimes wearing the guise of the moon :)

"If you can't see God in all, you can't see God at all" ~ Shakti Pawha Kaur Khalsa

Thank you - Love it!

EmpyreanKnight

Raised strictly Roman Catholic here. Last month, I and my sister attended 18 masses in the 9 days before Christmas as a special novena, although I wasn't able to join the million-strong Quiapo Nazarene procession earlier this week (joined the pre-procession Mass and paid my respects last year). To be honest, I'm not specially devout, I just feel more at peace when I do it. And I also feel that it's a good way to thank Him and acknowledge his kindness for all the blessings we received, and also to ask for His help and succor when we need it.

I always say my prayers before and after a reading. To be honest though, with the Church's admonitions against divination (though it is not particularly strong here), I am wary of asking for His help when I do readings, although I don't think He has any problems with me doing it. I know that many Catholic readers do ask for His guidance, so it probably is just me. I simply pray for the assistance of my guides (or angels if you will) and sometimes the intercession of our loved ones who passed away.

grubbaj0

I'm reading Benebell Wen's behemoth of a book, "Holistic Tarot," (which is absolutely wonderful). In it she states that modern tarot reached Europe during the 15th century. At that time all playing cards were banned by the church except for the tarot. Mostly because it was so popular among the wealthy and it was "characterized as a moral, refined, aristocratic, and intellectual pursuit." These early versions of the cards relied heavily on Christian symbolism. It goes on to give a few examples of known christian contributors of the tarot but doesn't really say when the switch was that it was fearmongered into a tool of satan (to be very extreme - my words not the books) If I had to guess I would say it happened sometime during the Victorian era when fun was all but outlawed.

Anyway, I grew up in a baptist household and I probably wouldn't whip out the tarot cards and give my parents a reading but I think the way that the world is going is one of more inclusivity. We need light and dark, yin and yang. We need modern medicine but also to nurture our soul. So I wouldn't be surprised if in 20 years Christian faith was more inclusive of tarot as a way to get in touch with the divine. At least I hope so. One reason I dislike organized religion at the moment though is because they try and force people into a box, a box that seems to get smaller and smaller anytime you receive any type of knowledge. I want to be spiritual and even religious one day but not if it means I have to be close minded. I say do whatever feels right within you.

page of wands

Raised strictly Roman Catholic here. Last month, I and my sister attended 18 masses in the 9 days before Christmas as a special novena, although I wasn't able to join the million-strong Quiapo Nazarene procession earlier this week (joined the pre-procession Mass and paid my respects last year). To be honest, I'm not specially devout, I just feel more at peace when I do it. And I also feel that it's a good way to thank Him and acknowledge his kindness for all the blessings we received, and also to ask for His help and succor when we need it.

I always say my prayers before and after a reading. To be honest though, with the Church's admonitions against divination (though it is not particularly strong here), I am wary of asking for His help when I do readings, although I don't think He has any problems with me doing it. I know that many Catholic readers do ask for His guidance, so it probably is just me. I simply pray for the assistance of my guides (or angels if you will) and sometimes the intercession of our loved ones who passed away.

it's good to know i'm not the only one. :)

page of wands

I'm reading Benebell Wen's behemoth of a book, "Holistic Tarot," (which is absolutely wonderful). In it she states that modern tarot reached Europe during the 15th century. At that time all playing cards were banned by the church except for the tarot. Mostly because it was so popular among the wealthy and it was "characterized as a moral, refined, aristocratic, and intellectual pursuit." These early versions of the cards relied heavily on Christian symbolism. It goes on to give a few examples of known christian contributors of the tarot but doesn't really say when the switch was that it was fearmongered into a tool of satan (to be very extreme - my words not the books) If I had to guess I would say it happened sometime during the Victorian era when fun was all but outlawed.

Anyway, I grew up in a baptist household and I probably wouldn't whip out the tarot cards and give my parents a reading but I think the way that the world is going is one of more inclusivity. We need light and dark, yin and yang. We need modern medicine but also to nurture our soul. So I wouldn't be surprised if in 20 years Christian faith was more inclusive of tarot as a way to get in touch with the divine. At least I hope so. One reason I dislike organized religion at the moment though is because they try and force people into a box, a box that seems to get smaller and smaller anytime you receive any type of knowledge. I want to be spiritual and even religious one day but not if it means I have to be close minded. I say do whatever feels right within you.

that's interesting about the history. i think they are moral cards. they do teach right from wrong.

EmpyreanKnight

yeah. if it was really evil, wouldn't i become possessed or something? or a demon messing around with me and my family?

There are a series of very readable books on demonic possession written by the Chief Exorcist of the Archdiocese of Manila, the highly esteemed Fr. Jose Francisco Syquia, that at one point admonishes against Tarot cards and occult stuff as the springboard of demons who wish to gain power over you. I stopped reading that part halfway because it was rather frightening, and at least in my case and in the local readers I know (I hope) it just doesn't apply. Those books were the bomb though! Beautfully written, with very helpful info (sans the Tarot part) and interesting anecdotes, printed with gilt edges and attractively packaged, I'd still recommend them.

EmpyreanKnight

it's good to know i'm not the only one. :)

Me too, that's why I like it here. :) I do hope your family becomes a bit more open to the cards though. Just know that whatever they may do, they do so because they care for you. Since you use the Tarot now, just be discreet and careful about where you keep your things.