What if you discovered your favourite deck was painted by a Trump supporter?

prudence

It's not just "support". Political support is everywhere for all things and we live in a varied world. It's when you see those beliefs ramified by things that you know that a particular person thinks because they express them and you look at a deck and question. This is natural I think. You react to their thoughts, their thinking. It isn't just some vague political support. It's about opinions you see expressed. The reaction is to that I suppose.

Very well put!

I see nothing wrong nor hateful about using our dollars on products made by people and companies that hold ideals in line with our own, when and where we reasonably can. A tarot deck is certainly not a necessity, and if the views held and loudly espoused by a deck creator are leaving a nasty taste in your mouth, so to speak, chuck it, give it away, sell it or simply stop using it. I cannot see how doing that is in anyway inviting negative ideals into your sphere of consciousness, and if we're going to throw New Age over-sensitivity into this discussion, that kind of reasoning surely fits the description.

I do care about where I spend my money, and I do my best to support those companies that have shown they care about the things I care about, conservation, equal rights, paying a living wage, etc. If I were looking to purchase a deck and found out the artist or company distributing the deck supported Trump, I'd forgo that deck. If I already owned a deck and really loved it, I'd likely still keep it. The money would have already been spent, so unless I started to notice certain nasty imagery in the deck that was aligned with Trump's views, I'd just continue using it.

And between Thoth and Osho, I'd say Osho is hands down the one I find truly unusable. The so-called Master card should have simply been an image of all of the Rolls Royces he obtained, what a clear sign of enlightenment. [insert heavy eyeroll here] I've no idea why Osho gets a pass more often than Thoth.

VGimlet

(Question for people who didn't vote Trump.) If you found that your main reading deck was painted by someone who voted for Trump, would you still be able to read with it or would the knowledge of the deck creator's political leanings sour the deck?

Would you feel that by buying the deck you were supporting Trump via his supporters in a round about way?

I would still be able to read with it with no problem. Not everyone who voted for Trump agrees with him. That wouldn't be the ONLY reason I wouldn't buy their decks. If they expressed beliefs I found repugnant (not just disagreed with) I might not support them.

There are a few places I wont eat, actors whose movies I won't see, musicians whose music I wont buy because they have views I will not support.

But - you should do what you want to do. Everyone has to be able to live with their own conscience, IMO.

danieljuk

This happened to me with a gay music producer who decided they backed Trump. I personally won't buy any of the music they make or have remixed just because his arguments have annoyed me so much that he tries to say Trump would be the best for LGBT rights. I think the guy is delusional but what he makes has no support for Trump and is apolitical. I haven't deleted the music I own but I won't support him in future. I just feel the way he has put himself across is awful and he had an important position within a community.

Buying a tarot deck? well we buy stuff all the time from people that have different views to us and we don't know it. If the tarot deck creator was as antagonistic and outspoken as the music producer example above then I probably wouldn't want to buy that deck and there is tarot decks I won't buy because of the creator or author and how they have behaved within our tarot community. I think I could buy a deck if they supported Trump but the deck was not political or influenced in that way. But what if the money they made was all donated to Trump? or there was a "Trump deck" with a misogynist card and a losing civil rights card, etc. It depends on the case I guess. Case by case basis, what do you feel comfortable with personally with your ethics?

Prudence has a good example with the Osho Zen. I personally really love the deck and the artwork and it reads really well for me. I discovered the Osho philosophy from it but then learnt about the ethical issues with Osho. I am very conflicted about it. Some of the cards are ethically dubious depending on your view of Osho, not just he became a millionaire but other things that happened. In the Study group for it, those cards split people, they make them uncomfortable, others are fine with it. I don't regret buying it but some of the cards do make me think about that all. There is other new age movement decks out there that try to sell something spiritual but the artist and publishers have become very very rich! I feel conflicted about that as well. Then the Thoth with people conflicted about Crowley, a love / hate figure!

To broaden our horizons as adults, we are probably going to read or own things where the creators have dubious or unethical histories, we don't have to agree with them just to have them in our homes. But there is a scale to this, what is unethical to us? We can't just live in a bubble of the exact same view as us :)

banbha

... I LOVE L.L. BEAN too (another company who supports Trump) and will continue to shop there. ...

This is, thankfully, not true. One of the Bean heirs supports Trump but there are many heirs as the generations pass. The company came out and made a statement that they do not support any political party or candidate. They never have and have no plans to do so.

Padma

Like Prudence, and Danieljuk, to some extent, and others here, no doubt, I am conscientious of whom I am supporting with my dollars. And I vote with my feet by removing my wallet from companies whom I consider to be unethical, or whose views are so divergent with my own, that I cannot shop or buy there.

I boycott companies whose views do not match mine (for instance, LuLuLemon no longer catering to anyone larger than the so-called "norm", and American Apparel for the same reason) even though their decisions did not affect me. I won't support size-ist companies, even though I am a small person myself. I am not a person of colour, but I do not support companies that disavow or abuse people of colour.

I understand the views of Earthair and LeFanu because if I knew that I owned and used a deck done by an artist who, for example, were horrible to their children or their animals, or supported wholeheartedly causes I found personally quite repugnant, and it became known, and I found out, I would not be able to use the cards anymore. I would likely throw them in the trash. Those cards would forever become stained and tainted (thanks for the terms, LeFanu and Earthair) for me. So I get it.

I don't see why that would be a problem, or wrong, or silly, or hateful. But personal ethics are just that - personal.

prudence

Buying a tarot deck? well we buy stuff all the time from people that have different views to us and we don't know it. If the tarot deck creator was as antagonistic and outspoken as the music producer example above then I probably wouldn't want to buy that deck and there is tarot decks I won't buy because of the creator or author and how they have behaved within our tarot community. I think I could buy a deck if they supported Trump but the deck was not political or influenced in that way. But what if the money they made was all donated to Trump? or there was a "Trump deck" with a misogynist card and a losing civil rights card, etc. It depends on the case I guess. Case by case basis, what do you feel comfortable with personally with your ethics?

Prudence has a good example with the Osho Zen. I personally really love the deck and the artwork and it reads really well for me. I discovered the Osho philosophy from it but then learnt about the ethical issues with Osho. I am very conflicted about it. Some of the cards are ethically dubious depending on your view of Osho, not just he became a millionaire but other things that happened. In the Study group for it, those cards split people, they make them uncomfortable, others are fine with it. I don't regret buying it but some of the cards do make me think about that all. There is other new age movement decks out there that try to sell something spiritual but the artist and publishers have become very very rich! I feel conflicted about that as well. Then the Thoth with people conflicted about Crowley, a love / hate figure !

Daniel, my dislike of the Osho deck isn't based on just the money grubbing Rajneesh displayed, it's everything about the man the deck is based around. Including the attempted mass murder of people who ate at certain restaurants in Oregon, at the hands of people "Osho" had surrounded himself with, as well as all of the other incredibly "shady" behaviors exhibited by this bastion of enlightenment. The Master card just made me think of his penchant for buying almost 100 of these stupidly expensive cards.

If this hypothetical Trump supporting artist made a deck that embraced and displayed Trump's beliefs the way the Osho Zen deck has with Rajneesh's beliefs, oh boy would I not be able to happily read with it. It would be the same, absolute BS and hypocrisy, just like the Osho. Tainted and or stained is a very apt description. Maybe throw "utterly" in there. ;)

willowy

It wouldn't bother me if Trump painted it himself. I keep my politics and my tarot separate, except when I'm using the latter to try explaining the former.

Very well said,my thoughts exactly.

CherryNukaCola

Funny that this should come up - I just acquired 2 copies of a deck and subsequently discovered that the creator was not just a Trump supporter(which doesn't bother me *that* much), but a conspiracy theorist, deep into pizzagate, hatemonger and generally batshit insane. It's a shame, because I love the deck. However, I find that there's enough crazy in life, without inviting more in.

For me, the point of having a collection is to make me happy. A deck is therefore, not fulfilling it's primary function, if it's not making me happy.

So, I will be trading or giving them away. I've similarly pared down my playing card collection, eliminating any decks that I had residual bad feelings about & I am much happier as a result!

IMO, I have too little money, time, energy and space to spend on decks that I don't feel 100% about - and there are too many other wonderful decks out there!

Beancrew49

I guess this could be perceived by some as an interesting discussion, but I find it to be an energy drain. I can't believe how many people in this thread claim to oppose Trump, yet love to talk about him, give attention to him, say his name over and over, and generally hand over a piece of their energy to him under the misguided notion that they are doing something proactive to oppose him. If you want to oppose Trump, behave as if he doesn't exist. Then you will see him slowly slink away from your reality. I expect more from this group.