TOADies Anonymous.

CharlotteK

My disorder is real. Tarot of the Spirit slipped into my Amazon basket last night and this morning I got a dispatch notice. However, on a positive note, I do feel I'm starting to aquire some discernment. The compulsion to buy 'ALL DA DECKS' is waning. I'm setting my sights on vintage now and am prepared to wait (she says).

Carojulie

Hello fellow TOADies,

My name is Caroline and I am a TOADy. Have been for several months now.

The idea of getting 100% cold turkey scares me too much so I have thought of a softer solution.
Here is my new tactic to cope :

- I make a list of the decks I wish to own
- I search through the net to find, for each of them, the best way to purchase them (price, shipping costs etc)
- I even go as far as put said decks in my basket to help calculate the shipping costs (but I DO NOT check out, I then delete the item from the basket)
- Once everything is settled and ready to buy, I postpone the actual purchase until my next paycheck arrives
- When the paycheck arrives, I calculate if I can fit the purchase of a deck in the midst of my other bills (this part is useful : listing all my other bills can scare me enough that I renounce getting a deck !)
- By then, I have too many decks on my wishlist so I have to prioritize which one I really want to get
- And if I cannot make up my mind, then I get to buy nothing at all (I usually make up my mind, thought)
- And all the other decks on the wish list have to wait until the next month paycheck
- With a little luck, the numerous decks on the wish list that always get pushed to the back of the list, will eventually get forgotten - it has arrived numerous times in the past ! Those decks "fall off" the wish list and are not a threat any longer :)

That method is supposed to ensure that when I buy a deck, it is more than an impulse purchase, and that I get a deck that I really want. It has helped me renounce many decks.
But it is not foolproof..... I admit that I have made impulsive purchases in the middle of the month many times. It's a long road !

Courage !
:)

Nemia

Oh dear Carojulie, I've been following that tactic for quite some time! I have a nice Evernote list of decks I want, coloured according to the urgency of my desire, with added information about costs, shipping etc, and I have long ago decided to buy tarot decks only with money earned by my tarot job! And yet..... *cough cough*.... maybe you're a stronger person than I am....

(This list is btw by now longer than my arm, and that's saying something because I'm blessed with long arms!)

BUT another week has passed and I didn't buy a deck!!! :)))))

Carojulie

Hello Nemia,

Each sober week is a lot to celebrate ! bravo :)
It gives me the idea that I could mark my agenda with a smiley each time I manage to go one week without giving in (because no, I am obviously not a stronger person than everybody else on this thread ! ha !)
Thank you for the idea of the winning week !

CharlotteK

Hello Nemia,

Each sober week is a lot to celebrate ! bravo :)
It gives me the idea that I could mark my agenda with a smiley each time I manage to go one week without giving in (because no, I am obviously not a stronger person than everybody else on this thread ! ha !)
Thank you for the idea of the winning week !

I might set myself up a reward chart and I can have a sticker for each week I don't buy a deck and when I've collected 10 stickers and I can reward myself with a deck... ohhh, that doesn't really work does it :-o

Booklioness

LOL I love commiserating....

Barleywine

So, let's see . . . if I don't buy a deck for a couple of weeks, I can reward myself with a huge dish of ice cream, which I need even less than a new deck? Life is full of these little trade-offs . . .:)

Achlys

Just ordered yet another deck...the Alice tarot from baba studios.
I don't have buyers remorse because it's a beautiful deck, I'm just crying a lil on the inside because I said I wasn't going to buy decks for a while.....so much for that!

Ruby Jewel

Just because I have no control doesn't mean I'm an addict does it? I mean, I can always stop when I choose to, but it feels so good to hold a new deck in my hands, a new world to explore, one that offers me oblivion in this mundane world we call 'real.' If I'm an addict, well then I'm an addict. I choose oblivion.

Ruby Jewel

Just because I have no control doesn't mean I'm an addict does it? I mean, I can always stop when I choose to, but it feels so good to hold a new deck in my hands, a new world to explore, one that offers me oblivion in this mundane world we call 'real.' If I'm an addict, well then I'm an addict. I choose oblivion.

I knew it. The minute I try to stop it only intensifies my addiction. I went straight to Ebay and bid on another deck. Oh woe is me.