TAROT Deck - Completely Revised Sola Busca from XV Century

rylla

TAROT Deck - Completely Revised Sola Busca from XV Century on Etsy, by seven stars

Will be published this year? I am a big fun of the Sola Busca deck, I always wished the majors would be more like tarot I am used to. It looks like I am getting my wish :)

seven stars

Sola Busca Revisited.

It's already out there it's on my Etsy site.

Info about this deck:

MOST of the pips I left alone. And their imagery is so interesting & odd. I have not even received my own deck yet & I am very anxious to do a reading with it, & I want to see if it's awkward with the pips. A few little things I changed, & of course I mucked with the colors & contrasts & saturation & moved some of the numbers around so they wouldn't fall off the page, etc. But for the most part, I just ended up really digging this guy's art. I would have just purchased a deck for myself "as is" except.....

Those freaking Major Arcana cards.....good lord. Those wouldn't work for me at all.

Here are some of the changes I made:

The Fool - I left the fool alone because I was fascinated with his interpretation & it kind of rang home to me. A little bird whispering in the ear of a vagrant musician. Ha....ya, I know that guy....however, there is another image in the MA that looked a lot more like what we tend to associate with the image of the Fool. It was in the "12" space, which, just wasn't going to work for me for the Hanged man at all. And there was nothing that even remotely resembled the Hanged Man.

The Magician and High Priestess were the backs of soldiers. So I improvised and used the image from Busca's "5" & added the cups, sword,wand & coin. For the High Priestess....man, she is a total hodge podge, you will do well to see what parts of her I cut & pasted from everywhere else in the deck.

The Empress I took the most liberties with. She was portrayed as a female soldier in armor holding a lock of hair (or scalp?) I put a skirt on her, a more feminine face from one of the queens, made her crown glow with starlight & I gave her a baby. I'm sorry this to me is just such a nurturing card, it has always felt to me like the artists really should have given in & made her a mom. Upright & reversed she's like, good mom/bad mom (simplistic)....

Hanged man I pretty much had to do the same things I did in the DOB deck & hack up & bend legs etc & just create one.

Lots of other changes, basically of this nature.

I did read the interpretations of the cards according to the original deck & how it was supposed to be interpreted, however, a lot of it was just impractical to me as a reader & I would never use it. What it boiled down to was that it was such an interesting, ancient & beautiful complete deck that I didn't want to settle for just not using it, I wanted to MAKE it workable.

So that's why I did what I did. I would appreciate input, I can STILL change things on the deck if need be.

rylla

Input?

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am a big fun of the Sola Busca deck. But I couldn't really read with it because of the majors. I am so excited to have a Sola Busca revised that I can read with! Hopefully I'll be holding one in my hands soon :)

Greg Stanton

Where did you acquire the images? Are they taken from the originals, or the re-drawing by Lo Scarabeo?

Did you get permission to reproduce them from Pinacoteca di Brera or Lo Scarabeo?

seven stars

Greg -
Did as much research as I could on copyright laws & other sites where people make things from images (like Game Crafter, they had a whole section on copyrights & images) & just went from there with sites with free images. I'm not going to get rich off this, I really made these originally just because I wanted them & decided maybe they could sell. I haven't like, had a publisher print off 10,000 or anything. I do them one at a time, which is why I can personalize them. I bought one for myself & so far I think I've sold two, maybe three of these. I was concerned about copyrights at first, too, but then after talking with people about it I'm not now & if I'm wrong well they can either sue me or tell me to stop selling them.

PathWalker

So that would be a "no" then I think? And the defence is that other people do it, so it's alright for you (in your own mind) to do it too.

Lovely images, lovely idea, but sadly my personal views would not allow me to purchase this.

moonbear

I saw these this morning on Etsy and fell in love! You've done a lovely job seven stars. And I especially like the personalisation you offer, that's a nice touch.

Can't think of anything I'd change :)

Best of luck :love:

seven stars

Pathwalker - I'm open to any advice for sure. I've never made a deck before or dealt with copyrights or anything. If there's a place to write to & ask, I'll write to them & see what they say or see if they want a cut in my millions. I specifically didn't want to use anybody's work who was still alive & trying to make a living off their work, but this was done in the XV century, & I didn't copy & reprint things other people had even copied of this dead artist's work, I manipulated them with a purpose of making the deck into something different than it was in order to make it useable. No idea if that makes any legal difference but I would think it would.

seven stars

moonbear - thank you! ya the fact that these images were painted in the XV century just blows my mind, what an interesting artist. With a sense of humor. I wonder how long it took him to do it & if he painted one "deck" or how he went about that. Don't you wonder how many other hand painted decks from back then simply got stuck away in someone's drawer or family collection that no one knows about? Since they had no way back then of reproducing them at all.

moonbear

moonbear - thank you! ya the fact that these images were painted in the XV century just blows my mind, what an interesting artist. With a sense of humor. I wonder how long it took him to do it & if he painted one "deck" or how he went about that. Don't you wonder how many other hand painted decks from back then simply got stuck away in someone's drawer or family collection that no one knows about? Since they had no way back then of reproducing them at all.
I think the artist would be chuffed to bits to see that people were still interested in his work after all these centuries!
In a way I envy them the fact that their lives were slower than ours and they could work diligently away at hand painting little works of art. Miniature labours of love really. Their stress levels must have been lower than ours that's for sure lol