Cards for Politics / Politicans

danieljuk

I was doing a spread for my whole month and looking over it afterwards it missed out on a political candidate contacting me (after they found my twitter account online) to ask about my issues and views. This was a big event in the month and was surprised it wasn't shown, which can happen but it made me think about card combos for this.

what card combos could represent politics and politicians? I have thought about this and Tower might be a big card for politics or political parties as well as government ("authorities").

perhaps lady + tower or gentleman + tower is a politician? garden + tower a political party perhaps or political event?

just wondered if anyone had any other ideas on this :)

Flaxen

I think it may depend on your view of politicians. :) For me, the Fox with its connotations of being cunning, looking out for number one, keeping motives hidden and presenting a false front would be a good fit. That is obviously a very negative view.
I would agree with the Tower as representing government as an institution. The Garden could also be there to represent a public figure.

andybc

No one card tends to stand for politics because it’s quite a specific concept. How it appears in a reading tends to be decided by the context of how it's going to effect you - I've had clients who just get the Cavalier or Letter when they're wanting news from the local authorities or someone official.

Whips with the employment cards (Ship, Moon and Anchor) or Park is often trade unions et cetera., but politicians normally involve a person card being flanked with the Park (electorate) and Moon (for recognition, honours). Context is everything as Park - Lady - Moon can also just mean a well known socialite or landed woman.

Park – House can mean a public building which can be anything from a stately home to the houses of parliament.

Teheuti

Tower can be goverment and Bear can be a boss, but Bear-Tower can also be the CEO of a big corporation or the president of a university, so the context makes the biggest difference. If we think of politicians as corrupt then I'd imagine Fox would be close, too. Park/Garden makes sense if it's election time.

Izzydunne

Politicians are best and most easily represented by the Fox. After all, they are liars and deceivers.

You know the old joke........how do you tell if a politician is lying? His/Her mouth is moving.

andybc

Tower can be goverment and Bear can be a boss, but Bear-Tower can also be the CEO of a big corporation or the president of a university, so the context makes the biggest difference. If we think of politicians as corrupt then I'd imagine Fox would be close, too. Park/Garden makes sense if it's election time.

Yes I think context here would be the overriding issue.

Politicians are meant to be individuals elected to represent the people. The Park is the card associated with groups of people, albeit normally friends, allies or networks you want to belong to, but in terms of politics it would be the electorate.

The Moon is the card of fame and a glorious reputation, or career, and politicians are normally elected on either a party bias or more often people who sound and look good to you.

But I would expect to see these, as you say, if I was reading for a politican or around election time generally.

But you also have cards like the Bear (good fortune, protection, envy) and the Tower (old age, history, isolation) as well as cards like Whips (arguments, debates, writs) et cetera. that could be seen as part of a politicians’ role or the government.

So yes context does count. A lot would depend on your interest at the time - if it was just waiting to hear it could just be the Cavalier and Letter, cutbacks the Scythe or Coffin.

I’d be a bit wary of having just one card for politicians. If you were going to do that though, I’d counsel not choosing one that was positive or negative. I’d want to see positive cards and negative cards around the politician’s card to tell me if they were trustworthy (Bouquet, Child, Dog) or if they were untrustworthy (Clouds, Snake, Fox).

danieljuk

belatedly thank you all for your suggestions really helpful!
writing these all down in my Lenormand notebook :)

I still don't see this politician person (who is now a new friend in my life, I am a little cautious about the friendship ;) ) in my readings over the last 4 weeks. It's quite a major thing in my life and so will have to work out for myself why this person hasn't appeared in any of my Lenormand readings. I was just interested in any clues to the new person.

Flaxen and Izzydunne :D totally see your points and it depends on your view of politicians. also politicians are all different. Some are self serving or look at it as a career, some (a minority) do really want to make social reform. I could see that each politician could be shown differently (and depending on if you support them or not). It's a wide thing to look for in the cards.

thank you Teheuti, I can see the idea of context clearly now. There isn't one simple combination or card to show it. But I could see cards that could relate to it. Agree with you.

Cheers Andy, I agree with you that a politician is neutral in a card combo (like also Doctor or any career like that). But how they affect your life which adds to the context. Thanks for your all your ideas about it! it is hard to see in the cards I can see that now as a concept.

all your ideas have been very useful on this. I didn't even think of how the context could change with the topic :)