German-Language Decks

Barleywine

I've seen some very enticing facsimile decks with German inscriptions on the cards. I have some rudimentary German and could puzzle out the meanings, but 1) would it add much value to do so? and 2) does it really make any difference what the cards say on them since the images are standard?

Chanah

Absolutely none unless you want the rhymes, but it's easy enough to find translations. Other than that, all that's likely to be printed on the card is its name (House, Birds, whatever), which you should be able to figure out without reading it!

Barleywine

Absolutely none unless you want the rhymes, but it's easy enough to find translations. Other than that, all that's likely to be printed on the card is its name (House, Birds, whatever), which you should be able to figure out without reading it!

The ones I was looking at appeared to have verses. I was just wondering if they enhanced the interpretation in any way. Thanks for the reply!

3ill.yazi

They aren't too different from the English verses on some, by my reading of the German. A little corny.

andybc

The rhymes in German are sometimes a bit off if they've sacrificed meaning over eloquence. But that's no hardship as you can easily get translations or copies of the early poems which are based on a Belgium deck and PL sheets.

Le Fanu

I think the rhymes are always less useful than what you can learn from studying. They're usually a bit one dimensional and a bit twee.

I understand a bit of German but have basically forgotten most of it. I like the decks with old German in gothic script as it makes the verses more illegible and I don't get distracted.

I love Tag's Wust (sorry, don't know how to do an umlaut) because the German is illegible and it seems to make the images even more prominent.

Barleywine

I think the rhymes are always less useful than what you can learn from studying. They're usually a bit one dimensional and a bit twee.

I understand a bit of German but have basically forgotten most of it. I like the decks with old German in gothic script as it makes the verses more illegible and I don't get distracted.

I love Tag's Wust (sorry, don't know how to do an umlaut) because the German is illegible and it seems to make the images even more prominent.

Thanks! The standard-size Wust is the one I'm considering since I like the images and it's been somewhat restored.

Tag_jorrit

Another example of synchronicity in the universe: I have just finished making another slightly restored Dondorf design deck that I got.

This particular version of the Dondorf design has verses for inserts and not playing cards. It's No. 2, variation no. 4 according to Braun's catalog . Have a look. It should be here in a few weeks.

Cosma_Leah

Hi all

I come from Switzerland, I have ONLY German Decks. I hope it´s not a problem here. Now I have ordered the English Versions of my Mystical Lenormand und my Mystical Kipper.

kind regards
Cosma Leah