Which Spread?

silver falcon

I only started reading tarot around November last year when I went on a course.

I live in a village and although have lived here for 36 years, most of the people I know have moved away and I havent got the chance to practice face to face on people (Im also disabled which is a problem to). Therefore, I do remote readings (I am a moderator on another site) for which I have been highly praised for their accuracy

Anyway back to the question. I always use the Celtic Cross spread which I love, but someone whom I have done readings for now wants a journey reading for the whole year. Could someone please suggest a spread that I could do instead of the Celtic Cross? Although I have about 5 packs of cards, I seem to use Tarot of the Old Path as its always seems right for me.

I would appreciate your help.

Silver xx

Sophie

Somewhere in the Your Readings of the past week or so, someone did a Wheel of the Year spread, which I thought was very good - I helped with the reading though I've not used the spread myself. Have a look there. It deals with the year season by season, with underlying factors and with front-of-the house issues.

silver falcon

Thank you for your help. I will go and have a look. I did think of this one but wasn't too sure.

Thirteen

There are various wheel-of-the-year spreads but the simplist is to place 12 cards in a circle. You usually start with April--as that was the original "New Year's day" as Card #1 set to the left. When you begin the reading, you start with the month AFTER the birth month.

So, a person's birthday is June 12th--you start with what's coming in July and take them around the year to come on up to their next birthday in June. The wheel looks like this:

******10*****
***11****9***
**12******8**
1***********7
**2*******6**
****3****5***
*******4*****

You can also put down a final card in the very center, saying, "This is you for this year" --a representational card of sorts.

This wheel, by the by, is a very useful spread. It can be a Zodiac Spread (starting with Aries at #1) and a health spread (starting with the Head/Aries at #1 and working down to the feet/pisces at #12).

tarotbear

There are several 'year/wheel' spreads, but you might want to do a few to see how they work before giving a cold reading with one. Just as tarot is not written in stone, if your reading is done by month, what you are seeing could be 'lunar' months and not calendar months, the way May may have a emerald birthstone, but Taurus starts in April and ends in May and Gemini starts in May and ends in June. What you see may not be hard-and-fast in a year reading.

ncefafn

And there is the problem of forecasting. I trust the weatherman fairly well to tell me what the weather is likely to be tomorrow. I have no trust in a forecast he'd make for one year from today. It's just too far off. There are too many variables: other people's choices, the querent's choices, random acts of God, subversions of political processes. But if that's what the client wants, go for it. Just warn him/her that the accuracy will diminish the farther out you go in time.

Kim

silver falcon

I have done several very accurate readings for this person. He wants a journey reading as he feels since his last reading a new chapter in his life has begun.

Do you think that the 12 card spread is the right one to do. Sorry if I'm being a pain, but I do want to get it right for him. I will also have a few practises so that I know what I'm doing.

Poor guy has also just fallen down with a very heavy ruchsack on his back and broken both elbows and has loads of exams to do.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Silver

Thirteen

silver falcon said:
Do you think that the 12 card spread is the right one to do. Sorry if I'm being a pain, but I do want to get it right for him. I will also have a few practises so that I know what I'm doing.

Poor guy has also just fallen down with a very heavy ruchsack on his back and broken both elbows and has loads of exams to do.
Ouch.

Is the 12 card spread right for him? Unfortunately, that's for you to decide. You're the reader; practice will certainly tell you if this spread feel natural and works for you--and knowledge of this guy should tell you if it will give him what he's after as well.

I would say, however, that the 12 card spread, in my experience, is a very solid, and often very revealing spread. It allows you to circle around, see how the year develops from card to card. You can also see across--Where is he in April? How about 6 months from that? And you can easily see a preponderance of certain cards--a lot of swords, for example or cups indicating the emphasis of the journey. You can see the ups and downs, the months with Majors in them indicating that they might be more important, etc. It's very comprehensive.

Is this what you mean by a "journey" spread or do you mean something else?

silver falcon

Thank you so much for your help with this. I think I'm only holding back on doing it was I'm comfortable with others and haven't done just a large spread.

He has asked for a journey reading which I have translated in that he wants to know where and what will be doing throughout the year. I will clarify this with him before I begin and also I will have to get the date of his birthday.

You have be most helpful.