A Crystal Ball...

celticnoodle

beautiful pumpkin! thanks for sharing them.

Pumpkin

celticnoodle said:
beautiful pumpkin! thanks for sharing them.

Thanks so much. I still need to find a nice stand for the larger one.

Rin

Taureans should never be left around bright and shiny objects.

I've been following this thread for awhile, and checking out crystal balls as well.

And I found one. And I love it. There are so many phantoms flying around in there, they look like little creatures. And the small rainbows arn't over-powering ... And some of it is green! Green! (*makes a big deal out of green things* >_> <_<)

Gaaaah. The only problem is paying for it. ;_; Woe is me.

http://mineralminers.com/html/rkxs360.jpg

Anyways. Just to contribute to the conversation: Miranda looks lovely, HeathCricket (I hope I spelt that right!).

One thing I do appreciate about Ebay, is that serious sellers often take multiple images from different angles, and include a wide variety of information.

Embla

HC, Uma Silbey´s book is much more practical and accessible than Ted Andrews´ book in my opinion. The language is less technical. But I have learned useful things from both. Although I have to say that I use Silbey´s techniques more than Andrews´. So if I had to choose one it would be Silbey´s.

LB, have you considered the fact that the name Brad that popped into your head might not have had anything to do with naming your crystal ball, but instead could have been your first successful crystal-ball reading? Perhaps there is a Brad outthere somewhere, calling for your attention?

and Pumpkin, I love the larger stand you have for your large crystal ball. Are those really clear natural quartz spheres? Or are they melted? Perhaps you have written about that somewhere in this thread....

Alta

I also appreciate the comments on the books and have ordered the Sibley book via abebooks. I was somewhat put off by one review on the Andrews book on amazon, though I know those reviews are not always exactly unbiased! Hoping to join in the other thread once I have it.

*smiles* I also like things that flash green Rin! What is it about certain colours? And yes, they aren't cheap, erk!

On the sites I saw some crystal balls that were virtually clear, and I have a bracelet supposedly of clear quartz so it can't be that rare. But then the really clear ones seem to command big dollars. In a museum once I saw a very large almost flawless quartz crystal ball. Must have been 12" in diameter or more. I was awe-struck!

For scrying I would think that some internally reflective planes and clouds would be helpful, but lark and others seem fine with the flawless ones, so.... different strokes it would appear. I enjoyed the information already in the new thread on using them in divining too.

M

Little Baron

Embla said:
LB, have you considered the fact that the name Brad that popped into your head might not have had anything to do with naming your crystal ball, but instead could have been your first successful crystal-ball reading? Perhaps there is a Brad outthere somewhere, calling for your attention?

Considered? Yes.

But believe that it was a reading, no. It came off of the top of my head, and I don't need a crystal ball for that.

This is what I need to try and understand. I think we all have different ideas about what reading a crystal ball is like.

In cards, we use our intuition. Our gut feeling. Our inner voice. We feel something and believe that that is what the cards are saying. We look at subtle parts of card images and consider that that is what we should be paying attention to.

And I am wondering if some people are paying attention, once again, to that inner voice as they look at the ball. Or maybe seeing a few lines that 'look like' or 'remind them' of something.

This is not what I imagine crystal reading to be like. I imagine that I will eventually see real images on the surface of the ball, like I do with the unformed and untrained visions I see in my mind, without provocation.

For the moment, I am not sure that the former approach is how I have read people to scry. And is not necessarily an approach I am interested in myself. I don't mean that to sound harsh. I just think that crystal ball reading is quite probably a bit more demanding than that.

LB

HearthCricket

Lovely pics of the balls! I also like the one you have your eye out on, Rin. Crystal balls certainly don't come cheap and the clearer or the larger you go, the dollars start to add up considerably. I am floored enough with the price of my two. That will probably be it for me in collecting crystal balls. If they work in scrying, neat. If not, they will be expensive baubles in my house and used in Halloween decorating, as well as just appreciated for their beauty, which is why I invested in ones that have rainbows and other interesting things in them! And I thought tarot collecting was costly!

Thanks about the tip on the books, Embla! I can't wait until my Sibley one comes. I have just about exhausted the other one. Only half the book is about crystal balls and the other half is about crystal bowls, which I am not interested in. I was disappointed that it had no glossary about things like planes, phantoms, rainbows, etc., and have found my Crystal Bible more helpful in describing the physical attributes of a crystal ball. I hope they both give me some good insight (hehehe..no pun intended!). I fouhnd Ted Andrews book had a tendency to take on a more New Age approach, whereas I would love one that actually talks about the history of balls and older information, as well as working with it and more about choosing the perfect one, what to look for, various terminology, etc. Again, the internet might provide me with more information than either book! I guess I am up for some studying, still! :)

thinbuddha

HearthCricket said:
I would love one (book) that actually talks about the history of balls and older information....

Ask, and you shall receive.

I haven't read this one yet, but it seems like the real deal.

Little Baron

So, what book are we recommending as the better? As a 'how to'?

LB

thinbuddha

I only have Uma Sibley's book. Not sure I'm qualified to say this, but I don't really feel a need to go get another book on the topic- not that this one has done the trick for me... I just think that it's like buying a book on how to ride a bike- Learning to "let go and ride" isn't something that a book can teach, you just gotta do it until it works.

Edit: Take anything I say as opinion only. I have no idea what I'm talking about because I haven't really scry'd with much success, but I still have an opinion.