Is using / studying tarot safe?

earthair

Some dangers-

Forgetting to ground before and after a reading.

People try to use you as a free counseling service. Set boundaries!

People joke about becoming addicted to buying decks and hoarding problems, but it's no laughing matter really when you wake up one morning and find your house if full of decks and books about tarot. I think a lot of us would like proper help to stop.

It's a rabbit hole, first you learn about tarot, then symbolism then before you know it you're researching everything about Freemasonry, and a whole bunch of secret societies.

I sprained my hand once riffle and bridging a very stiff deck :neutral:

gregory

I have never grounded before or after reading. Just saying. As far as I know I am not dead.

My only issue ever was a sprained neck from retrieving a card that went down behind my printer, and was hard to reach.

AnemoneRosie

I have never grounded before or after reading. Just saying. As far as I know I am not dead.

Me neither. Nor do I light white candles for "protection" (seems like a fire hazard).

I'm still here.

IndigoViolet

Tarot is not a sin itself. It is only that the God believing ones in christianity tried to relate tarot to God-forbid things. But seeing how they are so insisting without valid reason, I doubt they understand much about themselves neither. Sorry about smashing the hammer. I don't think they will be so sure about it once they know what I know, and that is why tarot is dangerous to them, is that it will break their faith apart to accept any spiritual knowledge.

In one sense I got into Christianity and I believe in God and the Christian faith. But do I agree everything about their practices? Nope. Because I have enough knowledge and experience with spirituality and God to tell apart the right and wrong. However that does not mean the knowledge will be challenged neither. At the end of the day, it was my christian friend who got afraid of what I adviced her with my knowledge and my experience because if I go further, she will probably end up having her faith totally destroyed in a single hit.

So the thing is, go ahead and use tarot, and use it the way you want to. But never touch into evil spirits and such matter, and to protect yourself from them. Tarot knowledge and go both shallow and deep. Although myself, though, is not capable to throughly use them anymore.. but that is another issue to clean up later.

earthair

Me neither. Nor do I light white candles for "protection" (seems like a fire hazard).

I'm still here.

Don't you guys ever feel drained and want to clear away the previous person and their sometimes depressing energy? :confused:

gregory

Don't you guys ever feel drained and want to clear away the previous person and their sometimes depressing energy? :confused:
No. I read; I don't absorb other people. And I don't buy into the "clearing" thing - for decks or for after-reading-ness.

AnemoneRosie

No.
I don't find other people to be inherently depressing. I'm perfectly capable of bringing myself down when I'm so inclined. I don't need to live with the other person the way that they need to live with themselves.

If you can't set that boundary then, yes, I can see why you might want to do whatever ritual you like to set that boundary for you. Personally I find rituals draining and pointless. I dislike them, on the whole. However, if you can't set boundaries then you'll have other difficulties in your life as well and all of the rituals in the world won't really save you with that.

Maybe, though, the fact that I'm a social worker has something to do with it. If I had to "clear away the previous person" in between working with everyone at my job, I'd really be screwed. They line up to see me, and sometimes come and see me as a group.

Mystica7

I am super-sensitive to energies (both positive and negative), and it came with a price for me.

For years, I have read the cards for myself problem free, but whenever I tried to offer readings to most people, I felt drained and got headaches, unless I was already feeling in top condition and even then...

(I downright refused a customer in the past.)

Superficially -or lightly- reading the cards doesn't do you any harm. But once you delve deep into them, it's occult, and can challenge your system.

Headaches and sore eyes are some problems I have developed, along with a funny kind of sinus infection, which is situated just in the area where the third eye chakra resides. It's a fact I over-use my third eye sometimes. All of your chakras though must be in balance.

Grounding, balancing, and staying away at intervals is a must for me. Otherwise, yes I feel drained and out of balance.

Practising Tarot readings excessively (or actually any kind of psychic activity) can attract spirits, or unwanted form of energies.

Mind reading isn't good... Especially when the energy of the person sucks. Every time I connect to the "subject" I do a reading for, because if I don't connect, I can't sense anything.

I do practise detachment, but I can still absorb certain energies.

I do not ask the help of spirits, but sometimes they just come by themselves. Some are pretty helpful, some are mischievous.

In the past I didn't care much, but today I am rather for cleansing & protection, and grounding. Setting healthy boundaries is also important.

littlethings

I think it's just a matter of personal preference. When I do a Reiki healing I do a grounding and cleansing, but I've never felt the need to do it when doing a tarot reading.

techn1k

It's a rabbit hole, first you learn about tarot, then symbolism then before you know it you're researching everything about Freemasonry, and a whole bunch of secret societies.

Haha, so much that! :D

I really know very little about it, I can't be even 100% sure if tiredness was caused by reading, maybe I was simply tired. I tried it and it helped anyway. I am not trying to encourage anyone to do it though.

But never touch into evil spirits and such matter, and to protect yourself from them. Tarot knowledge and go both shallow and deep.

Can you do it 'by accident', without clear purpose? Is there anything useful one should know?