Faeries Oracle (Froud) - Universal Card

Kirali

ah well I'm glad you like it so much. I'm still having trouble with the singers and the non-formed fairies. I guess I need to use my imagination some more. Everytime I try to meditate on a card, I fall asleep. heheh oh well I'm getting better at trying to find some meanings now. :)

Jewel

I have found the Singers a lot less confusing than I thought I would. I usually draw 3-4 singers a week when I am drawing cards on a daily basis and I have become quite open and receptive to them. I see them as beings of light and the play of the light alters thier form. They are much more serious than the other faeries. At least the ones in my deck seem full of patience, wisdom and strong energy.

What I have done to get to know them better is that every time I draw one I go back to my journal and expand upon my previous observations. I find it interesting how the colors, brightness, shapes, etc change depending on the day and what is at hand.

Helruna

The Faery Godmother

Like I mentioned in my thread, I drew The Faery Godmother AGAIN for my Universal Card, so I don't really know what else to add but I really started to giggle when I saw what card I've drawn.

I think it is a neat experience to draw a card twice, especially if it is your "most favourite" right now for the first exercise. :)

BB,
Helruna

Kirali

Awh! You're lucky Helruna! I wish I would draw my favorite card: Himself once in a while. I haven't drawn him once. It's kind of frustrating but I guess he has nothing to say to me at this point in time. I must be patient. Oh the agony! :)

Olympia

The Maiden, clarified

I am very sorry that everyone seems NOT to think that Brian Froud possibly made a child with Down's Syndrome on purpose. Has anyone ever met a child who has had Down's Syndrome? (The term mongoloid is outdated and inaccurate, Asian skull structure is termed Mongoloid--as there is Negroid and Causasoid--and the old term applied to people with Down's Syndrome was derogatory to Asians and to people born with this--implying stupidity to both.) I understand that no one is trying to be offensive in any way, I really do. But I feel a misunderstanding is occuring. A perfect, beautiful child is defined as what? I have two children, who are not the same, and they are both perfect. If one lost a leg, or an eye, wouldn't they still be my perfect, beautiful child? Every child with Down's Syndrome that I have ever met is the perfection of childhood: happy, smiling, kind, giving, beautiful, and oh so playful. Isn't that perfect enough? Isn't that something to strive for? When I draw this card I think it often represents a sheer happiness or playfulness. What a beautiful, perfect way to be.

Thank you for listening, I am sincerely not attacking anyone. I simply need to clear this little card up. I hope this helps in any way for others to enjoy this card just that much more. And please, smile at Her...She is smiling at you, imperfections and all.

Thanks,
Olympia

emily2otters

i drew Himself.

he is so very male, is he not? :D

in irish english, "himself" is the term used to refer to a man of importance... i see him as the year king of robert graves' pagan lore, chosen for his youth and vitality, and sacrificed for the harvest. all my feelings about himself come back to mortality/vitality and the interplay between the two... his pink eyes make me wonder if he's been smoking pot or staying up 36 hours at a stretch. :) his early death is a given, and he has nothing to lose by using his life force fully and even wastefully. he is present in the present.

he's got stars at his crown, third eye, and heart, but none at his throat. why? he's about living and doing, i suppose, and not so much about talking. he has nothing to say about his fate, and nothing to say about his life. his gaze is all you need to know what he's doing or about to do.

there's a strong link between himself and the sage -- same model, same expression -- and yet we find that the year king did manage to grow old somehow... odin hung himself upon the tree of life to gain secret knowledge; maybe there's some of that here. the sage's eyes are clear, even the blind eye. gorgeous.

so what's my message from the universe? i guess i'm supposed to be more present in the moment, and not worry so much about wasting my self or my energy or my life... for i have already lived, have i not? and i am still living. and that's enough.

emily2otters

olympia,

thanks for your perspective on the maiden. my cousin has downs syndrome, and i have to agree that he is the sweetest, most loving person in the family. my friend donna calls DS folks "hearts with legs". :)

i hadn't noticed the maiden's DS looks, myself, and probably would have taken them as just a juvenile version of the faery almond eyes. but i like the symbolism of her having one more layer of innocence, one more layer of vulnerability.

Momof6

Re: The Maiden, clarified

Olympia said:
I am very sorry that everyone seems NOT to think that Brian Froud possibly made a child with Down's Syndrome on purpose. Has anyone ever met a child who has had Down's Syndrome? (The term mongoloid is outdated and inaccurate, Asian skull structure is termed Mongoloid--as there is Negroid and Causasoid--and the old term applied to people with Down's Syndrome was derogatory to Asians and to people born with this--implying stupidity to both.)
Thank you for listening, I am sincerely not attacking anyone. I simply need to clear this little card up. I hope this helps in any way for others to enjoy this card just that much more. And please, smile at Her...She is smiling at you, imperfections and all.

Thanks,
Olympia

Olympia,

Thank you! I was hurt by the mongoloid reference. That term is to Down syndrome the way the "N" word is to African Americans.

I know this because I have two children who happen to have Down syndrome and also because Down syndrome was my speciality in college when I completed my Bachelors in Special Education.

I have learned more from my two children with Down syndrome than any other thing, place, person...this world or otherworldly.

Bright Blessings,

Momof6

kelli

My Universal card was Sylvanius. Interestingly tho, my favorite card was the Maiden. She was just pure innocent joy to look at (hence me wanting to rediscover that i guess..lol) It was interesting to read others impressions of the Maiden however!! To add to previous comments tho, I work in a school that caters for children with special needs, some of which are children with Down Syndrome and indeed they are "special" as would anyone say who has been on the end of that grin :)

Now to Sylvanius..

I found the emotional atmosphere of the card more contemplative and reflective.. I felt drawn more to the brightly glowing faery in the centre of the card and to the sword rather than to sylvanius himself

I felt the basic need was to look to your higher self and use your intuition I also felt it was a card of teaching involving work and action and decisions relating to them.

I didnt find anything uncomfortable about this card (except for the fact that i may get a complete different meaning to what the book would say when i looked it up).

After looking up the card description itself i can now say HHHmmmmmm.... ill keep thinking on that..

Cheers..

Kelly

Little Baron

Universal Card

My universal card was ...

Mikle a Muckle *49

This card was one in a pile of cards I didn't warm to at the start, so I was a little disappointed to get him this time - maybe that is why he came.

There is a lighthearted and jokey atmosphere surrounding this card and character, but it is not one that I feel very secure about. It is like a joke that is 'on you'. The kind of laughing that is directed at you and not the kind of laughing you can laugh along with. This image does not make me feel happy.

These feelings I have about Mickle could manifest in life as embarrassment, distrust and trickery; maybe a little bit of talk behind your back, backstabbing, someone poking fun without you knowing, a lack of loyalty from a friend or lover.

There seems a lot to this card that I am yet to find, so right now, I can not decide whether it is simplistic or not.

This card, for me, symbolises being kept in the dark, loneliness, embarrassment, humilation and foolishness. Most of the faeries in this world do not wear clothes, but in the light of how I feelabout this card generally, Mikle's nakedness feels unnerving and makes me want to turn away from him. Is this a representation of how one feels when they have been embarrassed, humiliated or have found out that someone has upset or tricked them? To feel 'naked' and ugly?

Maybe it is a card of not taking yourself too seriously and getting over the little embarrassments. Maybe it is not such a bad thing to be 'naked' infront of others from time to time and to laugh at yourself occasionally. Maybe this is a reverse meaning.

This was a tough card for me and I can't imagine if my interpretation would be like anybody elses or not. Let me know.

Best wishes to you all

Yaboot