STRANGEST conditions you ever read under...

EmpyreanKnight

This is not as tawdry as it sounds, but that would have to be in bed with my ex. She has a strange fascination with the cards tho she's also somewhat repelled by it. I think she just had a hard time reconciling its revelatory precision with her ultra-rational worldview

Mi-Shell

Strange places:
Outside in the snow during a craft show. = the fire alarm had come on and EVERYONE had to evacuate. We were all freeeeezing - I got my small Greenwood deck out, padded down a snowbank to create a reading surface and read for freeezing fellow crafters and for customers.

On a plane, coming home from Europe – I made $ 400.0??? in tips from passengers , stewardesses and the co pilot...

In Nepal in a Tibetan refugee camp, where one of the young bilingual social workers translated every sentence and the line-up grew and grew and grew.......
I did over 20 readings that afternoon and evening......

On our local Farmer's Market for all the local politicians and candidates, days before the election... And then the media showed up and I was on TV that night reading for the mayor, telling him, he would loose and he did.....oups!

In hospital cafeterias and doctor's waiting rooms,
for patients undergoing chemo.... but these situations are not weird or strange.....

bonebeach

In the gym, as in weight room, as in spreading my cards on the bench between sets. Yoga studios, before or after class--quite common, lots of demographic overlap. In cemeteries--all the time! That's where I hang out. Goth clubs, hip hop clubs, house parties, when I was younger. Cafes, restaurants. The beach, also often. On a boat. Quick two card reading while on a ski lift once. During a Broadway show intermission. In the Everglades! (the deck got water damage but it was okay) On planes, any time I'm in a plane for more than two hours. The library. Parks. Poolside. In the bath.

In a tent made of makeshift materials, on a bed of dried pine needles, during a weekend long wilderness survivalist course. I had to smuggle in the cards as contraband.

I basically ALWAYS have one deck on me, just in case, and to keep working at the list of places I've read. ;) You never know when you (or a friend, or a stranger) might need a reading...

edit: I've seen a few posts mention haunted hotels and I concur. I mean, if you're there, you GOTTA, right?

Ace

bonebeach: thanks for bringing this thread back. I was JUST thinking about it last night!

Last night I did my second gig at a weird downtown restaurant. I think their cachet is that they are hard to find: They have a small neon sign out front saying "Chinese Food" (off until dark) and I THINK a fairly plain painted sign on the door, otherwise you can't find them!

But the fun part was that they put ME in the freight elevator! They locked it open, no danger or heading downstairs during a reading, but it WAS weird. The space is small, the table they gave me minute, but it was a fun gig.

barb

greatdane

Glad it has been revived, I LOVE reading these :)

Wow. You all have read in some interesting places and under interesting conditions.

greatdane

I should have said UNUSUAL rather than STRANGE

I saw MI-SHELL's post about situations not being strange, and I should have used unusual.

What would not usually be the norm. For example, MI-SHELL reading in a doctor's office, not strange, but probably not the norm.

Ace

Interesting and unusual works for me. FUN thread and FUN places too!

barb

celticnoodle

Ace, :laugh: YOU certainly have read in unusual places! I thought the back of the RAV4 was unusual--esp. as it was a job to do and not just you being on vacation traveling around in a RAV4 and reading for someone going with you! But, this one is definitely odd too! :laugh:

MissChiff

I did a reading in the gondola on my way up a mountain...snow skiing. Then they followed me to the lodge. I couldn't get rid of them!

celticnoodle

I did a reading in the gondola on my way up a mountain...snow skiing. Then they followed me to the lodge. I couldn't get rid of them!

:laugh: I can't even IMAGINE trying to do that!