Is the Cup design real?

Aeric

Pixie's choice of design for the cups is unusual. Other than the Ace and the Queen's ornate ciborium, all of them have a strange uniform shape of which Waite must surely have been critical to accept as universal.

Rather than being the Ace's traditional goblet with slender stem, the square base is very thick and equal to or slightly taller than the bowl, depending on the card (compare the 3 to the 8). The cup is held by the highest point of the base below the bead pattern, and has no stem.

Is this shape based on an actual ritual chalice described by Waite used by the GD? I've looked at a few examples of cups from the Arts & Crafts movement and none of them have its likeness.

Zephyros

I am on my phone, so this will be short. The Cups bear a resemblance to the original GD symbol, a cross above a pyramid. I will check further later, but this may be emblems of love (the cross) and maybe something alchemical. Notice how the bases seem to have a faceted, pyramid shape.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqrdcRytR3-oyJV7thQ_Ggc3MbWfO1z8c9R-yIvXzFB_LbXNDwOZT1X_4

and also this
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlpZYBhDhMiEijuB7HGrt49VWfkGR60_SaZtBkQcP6eHmHcO45GwN56xsS

Zephyros

In The Essential Golden Dawn by the Ciceros, there is a quote from the Neophyte ceremony saying

On the Altar is a White Triangle to be the Image of that Immortal Light, that Triune Light, which moved in Darkness and formed the World of Darkness and out of Darkness... The Red Cross above the White Triangle is an Image of Him who was unfolded in that Light"

and there is another quote from Document Z-1:The Enterer of the Threshold

The Symbols upon the Altar represent the Forces and Manifestation of the Divine Light, concentrated on the White Triangle of the three Supernals and the synthesis... The Red Cross of Tiphareth... is here placed above the White Triangle, not as dominating it, but as bringing it down and manifesting it into the Outer Order; as though the Crucified One, having raised the symbol of self-sacrifice, had thus touched and brought into action the Divine Triad of Light.

All this, to me, means the Holy Grail, the vessel which has so many meanings such as the earth receiving from above, the ultimate quest, the idea of the femine force receiving the male force (especially as according to GD doctrine, we are all Princesses, or Empresses, depending on your source, placed at Malkuth, on the receiving end of creation). Since it would be impossible, for me, to separate the Holy Grail from the GD in general, and from Waite in particular who was a Grail scholar, I tend to favor this explanation, even though I made it up myself.

To be honest, though, I don't know if it completely fits the bill.

http://www.golden-dawn.org/cross-symbolism-in-golden-dawn.html

Abrac

Hey Aeric. I don't know if Waite's cups are based on a real chalice design or not. They seem to go well with the medieval theme of the deck though.

Of the GD Ace of Cups, Book-T says:

"A WHITE Radiant Angelic Hand, issuing from clouds, and supporting on the palm thereof a cup, resembling that of the Stolistes."

From GoldenDawnPedia:

"Stolistes (Feminine Stolistria): Greek for 'preparer.' This officer is responsible for the robes and regalia of all officers and for purifying the hall and those present with water. This officer carries the cup of water and asperger and assumes the Egyptian Godform of Aramuth."

The Cup of the Stolistes is also used in the GD as a badge of admission to the Practicus Grade 3=8. As explained in Regardie's The Golden Dawn, its sybolism refers to nine of the ten Sephirah on the Tree of Life. It's made of three parts: triangular base, circular center, and crescent top. The GD Tarot matches these very closely but Waite's not so much. It does have three distinct parts though that roughly match the GD symbolism.

Here's a picture of the symbol from Regardie's book with the Tree of Life correspondences added.

Cup of the Stolistes