How long did it take you since you started learning Tarot to get professional?

FaireMaiden

Five years...

marybham

Going professional

Oh my word . . . I'm not sure whether I discovered Tarot or it discovered me! I went to some classes locally and they were incredible. As each card was explained I just "got it". It all made perfect sense. So, after the 6 week evening course ended I enrolled for the "Advanced" classes. Then my teacher asked if I would read in her shop. I asked if she thought I was good enough and she said "Absolutely! And you'll get better by reading and practising more!"

So, I did (read professionally AND get better). That meant that I went professional within a few months of starting to learn. I am a fast learner and for me it just seemed to consolidate so much other learning (of life!, of psychology, of counselling, training, teaching . . .all sorts of things just seemed to come together naturally through the Tarot).

Well, I can totally identify with Solitaire . . . the more I know, the more I realise there is to know and to learn.

I now have hundreds of decks, tons of books and I regularly read, teach and speak on Tarot. I also organise monthly global teleconferences and webconferences plus local "Tarot Drop In" meetings.

So, it's become a real passion for me and is so rewarding.

I'm glad someone encouraged me to read professionally as they kind of set the fees for me to start with. That made it easier.

Now, I'm very comfortable charging fees as it means that my Tarot business is sustainable . .. it sustains me (for a start!) and I continually reinvest in my business by reading, studying, attending conferences and events and improving my skills. Continuing Professional Development (CPD)!!

So, I think it's a bit of "how long is a piece of string?" . . . depends on each of us, how confident we are and . . . just sometimes . . . how much confidence others have in us.

Hope this helps,

Mary

Michelle

Even though I get paid for readings...I still have a hard time calling myself professional.

HoneyBea

Well I picked up my first tarot deck in 1977 and "played around for years" but
about two and half years ago I decided to study seriously and by seriously I mean putting in a minimum of two hours a day if not more, I have continued to do this and not a day passes where I don't write about tarot somewhere. The more I learn the more there is to learn. I sat the required transition paper and reading requirements for the Tarot Guild of Australia and was awarded the status of Professional Member of that Guild, that's when I started charging money and that was in July 2007. :)

~HoneyBea~

Sulis

Michelle said:
Even though I get paid for readings...I still have a hard time calling myself professional.

I do too but then I don't do that many paid readings.
With in person readings I just ask clients to leave a donation and email readings are quite few and far between.

Michelle

Sulis said:
I do too but then I don't do that many paid readings.
With in person readings I just ask clients to leave a donation and email readings are quite few and far between.

I don't always charge for readings, either. And when I do, I still feel odd doing so.

I think asking for a donation is a great idea.

MareSaturni

Michelle said:
I don't always charge for readings, either. And when I do, I still feel odd doing so.

I think asking for a donation is a great idea.

My problem is how to ask for the payment. I get all shy, even to ask for donations...

mac22

Marina said:
My problem is how to ask for the payment. I get all shy, even to ask for donations...

When I first started out I had a jar with a hand lettered sign TIPS.... As time went on and I got better as a Reader I'd ask for a couple of bucks.

Nowadays I have set fees and get those out of the way right up front.....:)

mac22

MareSaturni

mac22 said:
When I first started out I had a jar with a hand lettered sign TIPS.... As time went on and I got better as a Reader I'd ask for a couple of bucks.

Nowadays I have set fees and get those out of the way right up front.....:)

mac22

Mac, that's an amazing idea :D
I had never thought of it, but it does sound great. As i'm just beginning to get out of the tarot closet, i don't feel confident to just charge and that's it. Starting with tips then evolving from there sounds great :)

Thanks for the idea!!!

sapienza

I've been working with tarot for over ten years now but as others have said, the more I learn the more I realise there is to learn. I'm a stay-at-home mum and really need some extra cash but for some reason I can't seem to take the first step towards reading 'professionally'. Maybe that word is the problem :) My husband said to my recently, "if you don't feel confident after ten years maybe you need to look at doing something else" :laugh: He has a point. I've got a plan in place and am all ready to start 'working', I just need to actually do it now!

So I guess in answer to your original question.....I'm not sure if anyone ever feels quite ready, but I'm guessing that by actually taking the first step and starting to read for others your confidence will grow and you'll wonder why you doubted yourself......at least that's what I'm hoping will happen :)