The Housewives Tarot: The Fool (0)

Gwynne

When I first saw this deck I knew I had to have it. When I finally got it, I fell in love!

The Fool of this deck is me! Scattered, seemingly oblivious to everything going on. She carries her bag, but is losing everything, wallet, jewelry, makeup. But is that stuff really important? Looking at her, her clothing is hopelessly mismatched, but somehow it works! It reminds me of myself in a way. While my clothing generally matches (wearing hardly anything but black and burgundy helps that...) my beliefs and spiritual patterns often seem mismatched. I call myself a walking contradiction!

The little book gives the keywords Confusion * Indecision * Beginning a Journey

Skydancer

I like this deck too - but then, I grew up with The Donna Reed Show and Leave It to Beaver!! Oh, and Ozzie and Harriet - all of them designed to instill in the average woman an ideal of the American Dream and way of life that ... never was. Same for the movies of that era - to keep women from stepping out of their lot in life. Keep them striving for an ideal that was not then, nor is now, obtainable. Brainwashing, really. <-- Read this type of commentary a while back and I have to agree. But the jury is still out. As for the housewives Tarot - what a hoot! I love the Devil card - boy, couldn't agree more with this one!! ;)

I like the "Fool" - maybe the mismatching is showing that she has yet to fall in with the party line. Know what I mean? She is still a novice and is just starting the journey to conformism. Maybe as she progresses she will discover her unique self and not become a carbon copy of The Perfect Wife.

Oh I am so cynical!!
But for fun, and insight into our culture, and an insight into a hidden part of myself too, I daresay, this deck is quite captivating. LOVE the recipe box it comes in ... which seems to mean something in and of itself too, don't ya think? ;)

~more later.
Ann *S*

Gwynne

Oh, yes, love the recipe box! I've even popped in a few blank index cards to go with it. Not sure exactly what I'll use them for... perhaps more recipes or notes or some such thing!

I love your idea of her mismatching and conformism! Now, just as much as in the 50s/60s we are expected to fit into this ideal little mold, to conform with the crowd and heaven forbid we don't!

The Fool here isn't conforming, isn't matching, isn't fitting, and she couldn't be happier about it!

cSpaceDiva

I saw it as she was willingly leaving those things behind, it's all kind of superficial stuff anyway. Except did you see what else she lost? I think it's her wedding ring! Yikes!!

It does sort of make me wonder what she's looking for in her purse. I hope she's not looking for the keys in there, because, did she forget? She already holds the keys (in her mouth).

Grizabella

I see myself in this card. I also see the Fool in this deck as carrying the evil seed of hippiedom. LOL She's just not put together, doesn't care enough about the trappings to pay any mind that she's losing them out of her purse, and she's merrily headed toward leaving that sweet little cottage behind as she sets out to seek the simple, meaningful life free of all those superficial things.

sunflowr

Maybe she's leaving home to join the beatniks and hippies at Haight Ashbury! ;) My soul card is The Fool, and I can totally see myself in that card. :)

le fey

I love this deck - I'll be glad to join you in a reprise of this study group!

So what are your thoughts on the Fool? We can take the leap together.

VintageButtons

Ok, one thing that just keeps popping up in my mind is why is she on top of the house? I mean I understand the whole "Fool" concept of not paying attention and walking over the edge of a cliff but when I look at this I keep finding myself wondering why and how did she get up there? Is there a significance that I'm missing other then the stepping off of a ledge and being mindless/careless? And that she's disproportionate to the house, does this represent her feeling larger then life, kind of carefree, that it's all about her or am I over-analyzing..lol??

Gooneybird

VintageButtons said:
Ok, one thing that just keeps popping up in my mind is why is she on top of the house? I mean I understand the whole "Fool" concept of not paying attention and walking over the edge of a cliff but when I look at this I keep finding myself wondering why and how did she get up there? Is there a significance that I'm missing other then the stepping off of a ledge and being mindless/careless?
The house may not be literal, but a representation of the material things she is leaving behind. Also, in the 50's, I imagine that packing up and leaving the "home with white picket fence" would have been going over a metaphorical cliff. She almost seems to be floating up and away from it (hence the disproportionateness)... its a very different view than just showing her walking away down the sidewalk, isn't it? :D

I don't see her leaving the house as "mindless/careless," so much as distracted by the future/happy to be leaving the past behind.

And that she's disproportionate to the house, does this represent her feeling larger then life, kind of carefree, that it's all about her or am I over-analyzing..lol??
Good observations, that analysis matches up very well with the greenhorn character the fool is supposed to represent! One thing I've learned here is that the cards can show you different things at various times as new things stand out to you depending on the reading, so don't be afraid you're overanalyzing!

annik

Looking at this card, I feel she is totally disorganized. I don't say that in a negative way. It's more like she is in a hurry, you know, the kind of days where everything happen all at the same time, trashing up all our plan.

It also makes me feel she is a passionate person and not caring about what others are thinking.

I like this card. It is among my favorite fools card.