Software that uses Traditional Western Astrology Charts

Darth MI

TAROT SUCKS!

Minderwiz

Does anyone here know of good softwares that calculate charts based on the old school square chart rather than the modern circular one?I am referring to charts like these.

http://www.renaissanceastrology.com/images/week3-31-11chart.gif

There are a number that will produce a Traditional Square chart. The cheapestis the freebie Morinus 6.2 Traditional Version

https://sites.google.com/site/tradmorinus/morinus

His is an excellent program that includes the ability to calculate any of the traditional Lots. It's highly recommended - look for the review threads.

If you want to pay then Solar Fire can do it and can produce some but not all of the Lots.

There are two dedicated Traditional programs, Delphic Oracle (now in Version 7)

http://www.astrology-x-files.com/delphicoracle-download.html

and Janus

http://www.astrologyhouse.co.nz/janus/download_trial.cfm

Up till recently Delphic Oracle was selling at half price but I think the new Version 7 ended that. Neither are cheap and DO is designed for Hellenistic and early medieval Astrology. Both are good on the Lots

If you don't want the bells and whistles go for Morinus.

Darth MI

How do you tweak the settings to use a traditional chart in Morinus? What exactly do I click?I tried clicking random stuff in the menu and it still remains the circular chart of modern astrology.

Minderwiz

Click on the 'Charts' option on the menu bar produces a dropdown list which contains the option 'Square'. Click on that and the square chart opens in a separate window.

You can save the chart in .png format for printing out or incorporating into a document, or even posting here as an attachment :)

Darth MI

TAROT SUCKS!

Minderwiz

Is there any other pointers?Like do I have to change the house system to say Placidus or Equal to get it as accurate to how traditional astrologers would have interpreted? The chart looks the same as the modern natal chart in terms of placements of planets, I heard somewhere traditional astrology has a different approach to houses;degrees don't determine where planets go, if a planet is in Pisces it will always be in the house that is Pisces in a specific ascendant even if its at 0° and modern natal charts would place it in the house of Aquarius instead. Also where are the aspects in the chart?Modern systems draws blue and red lines to show the aspect.

I will PM my chart right now when you have time please give traditional interpretations!

There are many house systems that were used - indeed of the ones in common use today only Koch is of modern origin, Placidus was a Seventeenth century invention, though the tables only became widespread after the end of what is the major period of astrological thought.

If you want to see how it would look to a Hellenistic Astrologer, use Whole Signs, (or Porphyry, Alcabitus or Campanus for the very end of the Hellenistic period. For the Seventeenth Century Astrologers, Regiomontanus was the system of choice. However it doesn't really matter which house system you use, the Square chart can cope with any of them Lilly in the Seventeenth Century used square charts with Regiomontanus, as did Morin. The major Hellenistic Astrololgers used Whole Signs, for the Medieval Astrologers, Whole Signs at the beginning but Porphyry, Alcabitus or Campanus were mostly used throught the period from about 1000 AD to 1500.

These house systems are still in common use - Jyotish still uses Whole Signs, and you will find psychological Astrologers who swear by Campanus, even though it might well be one of the earliest quadrant systems.

I use Regiomontanus in my normal work but when I'm trying a Hellenistic approach, I'll use Whole Signs and if necessary Porphyry. I've not really done much on casting and reading in medieval terms, though I've read many of the texts. I found that to really understand them I needed to go back and look at the Hellenisyic beginnings So that's a development for the future.

However as I said, don't get hung up on house systems, find one you like and use it. As a personal opinion, I don't really think that the system is that crucial - having an accurate timing is far more important.

On your chart - I don't do private readings for free but I do do readings occasionally on the forum, where I'm using it for my own learning or to demonstrate techniques. If you want a run through of your chart, I'll do it on those terms and, if you wish, keep the natal details private. I have some horary readings coming up, so if those conditions are acceptable to you, I'll have a look at it when they are out of the way.