Astrology Diploma Schools

Little Hare

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm looking to study and get a diploma of Astrology. I have been looking around at various schools and the prices are very steep, at some its $275 per module! with a total of 36 modules needed for the diploma. At this point in my life I can't afford that. Does anyone know of any Astrology schools with cheaper prices, where the content would be recognised by Professional Astrology organisations?

Mods: I hope it is okay that I post this here.

dadsnook2000

Recognition

The NCGR (National Council for Geocosmic Research) and ISAR (International Society for Astrological Research) have subsidiary affiliates in your area. They both offer certification, tests, study programs and guidance. Other study centers such as the Faculty of Astrological Studies (London) offer mail-order study programs, testing and diplomas that are both recognized and respected. Dave

Little Hare

Hi dave,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. Some of the links I hadn't clicked before. Unfortunatly it looks like I will be saving for a while as none of the accredited schools seem to offer payment plans. :(

Thanks again for this its given me some options and lots to think about

MrBCC

Hi Little Hare

I'm about to choose which diploma to go for - I've narrowed it down to two, one based in the UK and one based in the US. Both are by correspondence and are reasonably priced, ranging between £400 and £1400 for the full Diploma.

UK - Mayo School
US - American Federation of Astrologers http://www.astrologers.com/learn-astrology/learn-astrology/ (this is the cheaper of the the two, but arguably looks more comprehensive) http://www.mayoastrology.com/astrology_course.html

I think both offer payment plans so you don't have to pay it all up front.

Hope this helps :)

astrocosmic

Depending on where you live you may be able to find practicing astrologers who teach for free or low cost. Don't worry about getting the diploma so much as finding a teacher experienced with actually applying the ideas and using them to help people if your goal is to do readings professionally.

econdude

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm looking to study and get a diploma of Astrology. I have been looking around at various schools and the prices are very steep, at some its $275 per module! with a total of 36 modules needed for the diploma. At this point in my life I can't afford that. Does anyone know of any Astrology schools with cheaper prices, where the content would be recognised by Professional Astrology organisations?

Mods: I hope it is okay that I post this here.

I am autodidactic and I taught myself astrology. Martha Lang-Wescott is the best astrology author in my opinion; if you can read and understand her material, you are well-versed in astrology whether or not you have a piece of paper saying so.

Some people need and benefit from instruction. I feel it would hamper me at this point. With several conferences under my belt and dozens of very good books on my book shelf (along with Kepler 7.0) I am well prepared to handle writing articles, starting my book, doing other astrology-related projects, and reading for clients.

If anyone tells you that you are in the astrology business when you want to become a professional astrologer, they are wrong! You are in the marketing business. The art and soul of astrology, with that said, is not about cookbook/cookie cutter readings. I like to get to know a person and his or her chart when I read for them. Whether I can be a full-time independent astrologer some day, we'll see.

Minderwiz

I am autodidactic and I taught myself astrology. Martha Lang-Wescott is the best astrology author in my opinion; if you can read and understand her material, you are well-versed in astrology whether or not you have a piece of paper saying so.

Some people need and benefit from instruction. I feel it would hamper me at this point. With several conferences under my belt and dozens of very good books on my book shelf (along with Kepler 7.0) I am well prepared to handle writing articles, starting my book, doing other astrology-related projects, and reading for clients.

If anyone tells you that you are in the astrology business when you want to become a professional astrologer, they are wrong! You are in the marketing business. The art and soul of astrology, with that said, is not about cookbook/cookie cutter readings. I like to get to know a person and his or her chart when I read for them. Whether I can be a full-time independent astrologer some day, we'll see.

As someone who is also largely self taught (though I did use the framework of a correspondence course to keep me on track in the early years) I empathise with much that you say. There's one argument that I think might hold up for the Diploma Schools, if it were true - that is they provide a clear and coherent introduction to the philosophy of Astrology. Sadly for most of them that's conspicuous by its absence. It's not enough to know the techniques and even to be able to apply them and come up with a 'sensible' reading - a computer can do that - but to understand the conceptual basis on which those techniques rest, where they came from and why they are as they are and a rationale for the package of techniques used in concert.

Three's one other possible reason for Diploma Schools but it clearly doesn't apply in our current culture. That is to establish a framework of professional competence that is both recognised in law, and gives the consumer a high degree of certainty of what they are entitled to (an entitlement backed by law). We see cases against doctors or lawyers for professional incompetence. You can sue your doctor but try and sue an astrologer for a failed reading and see what legal backing you get.