Absolute Favorite Oracle Decks

Alta

For me:

~ Froud Faeries' Oracle. This is one of the very few card oracles that I have used consistently over years. I like the art and I find the cards very intuitive. Heart of Faerie, his follow-up deck, and I have just never seen eye to eye.

For very occasional use:

~ Morgan's. Sometimes I am so taken with it and it seems perfect, but often all it gets from me is huh?

~ Psycards and Symbolon. I do like them but don't get them out very often. When I do, I am always pleased and agree with Chronata about the depth to the symbolism there.

Absynthe

I initially turned to oracles when early tarot studies proved too challenging. At that time I wasn't willing to put in the effort of learning the entire tarot system and its symbolism. Tarot also scared me for some reason. I had a host of completely useless decks, all new agey rubbish, i won't even mention them here. Then I found Frouds FO in a bookstore and snapped it up. For the first 2yrs I had a love\hate relationship with this deck. I loved its artwork, insight and ease of use, i seemed to find connection with it straight away. I hated how accurate it was at a time when I just wasn't into hearing the truth. I bought it twice, each time tearing the cards into little tiny pieces in frustration. But I keep coming back to it and just purchased a new set again. Its a very forgiving set, it undertands what its like to be human, but its a hard task master too because it insists you discover the truth not just what you want to hear. I get lost in the pictures.

I also have Heart Of Faerie and find good connection with them too. They are a different deck to FO but they have that same quirky nature which I love. These decks really speak to me the way a person would. I get along well with tarot now, but it doesn't have the pesonality of these decks which aren't burdened with the rigid suits, courts and karmic system of tarot.

2dogs

Tearing the cards up then buying it again LOL - it must be the deck for you :D

I just had enough of the feeling that Tarot had a definite system if only I could grasp it, but it never quite made sense and every book I read made it more confusing.

Penthasilia

Psycards and Wisdom of Avalon.

I can't decide between the two- they both work in such different ways.

To be honest, I think the psycards have won out over the lenormand for me. They are so effortless- the images speak so much more clearly to me than the lenormand decks do. (Thank you greatdane for the enabling on this one!)

And the WoA- just a spectacular deck. I do love it.

Absynthe

I just had enough of the feeling that Tarot had a definite system if only I could grasp it, but it never quite made sense and every book I read made it more confusing.

It is like that, its a system that suffers from too much analysis, information overload.

frac_ture

My list of fun, accurate and awesome oracles is as follows...

Madame Endora...beautiful illustrations, rich symbolism. Annoying sentences on each card...but hey, you can do what I do and just ignore them. This one works better the more you delve into symbolism, where you will discover that this deck has wonderful multi layered depth.

Psycards... I like to think of these as Endora's older sister. They compliment each other well in readings. This is a very intelligent and grounded deck, full of symbolism (again!) and Jungian Archetypes. And the pictures are pretty, so that doesn't hurt!

Dream Inspirational Cards...also known as the Dream oracle, Lo Scarebeo's strange surreal art deck. This one is great if you want to practice with intuition alone.

My list would have heavy overlap with Chronata's -- all three of these would be on mine. I'd say I like the Dream Inspirational Cards the most overall, but the other two decks listed above are easier to read with, if that makes any sense.

I also think this thread may have enabled me on the Messenger Oracle. That artwork is amazing, and it looks filled with lots of cool details, which always really works for me...

Grizabella

I've preferred Tarot all these years but now I'm very excited that suddenly my horizons have opened up hugely. Not only am I in love with lots of Lo Scarabeo Tarot decks that I didn't get before, now I have three oracles that I'm using and finding them to be wonderful in tandem with Tarot.

The Oracle of Visions, the Tea Leaf Oracle and the Gilded Reverie Lenormand are absolutely solid tools in my cartomancy tool box now. I absolutely love all three. The only thing I'm lacking now are the Grand Tableau 9x4 spread cloth to match the Gilded Reverie and I'd like one of the circular patterned Marchetti spread cloths to use with the Tea Leaf Oracle to lay out the yearly spread with that deck.

I was just watching Donnaleigh's youtube video using the Grand Tableau with the Gilded Reverie in a reading about paternity. It gave me goose bumps! I can only imagine how the girl felt who had asked for the reading as she saw it unfold. Here's a link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj3hGiU2gk8

iAmRiotEyes

Here I was thinking, "Yes! I got my final must-have tarot deck. I don't need to buy anymore" and then I discovered oracle cards. I got myself into this I guess what with asking for your guys' opinion... Amazon must love me...

Seems like quite a few of you like some of the same decks and authors.

By the way, Morgan's tarot made me laugh. Very out there and yet... Relatable. X)

2dogs

Hee hee. :D

Tarots are one type of Oracle deck - there are a lot more possibilities out there. As they are so varied but some can be a little short on fine detail you may find using multiple decks in a reading works well. I've just done a study group exercise pulling two cards to describe. It was fun so I did it three times with different decks, then realised the whole six cards formed a consistent reading when I noticed pairs of cards saying very similar things.

iAmRiotEyes

Hee hee. :D

Tarots are one type of Oracle deck - there are a lot more possibilities out there. As they are so varied but some can be a little short on fine detail you may find using multiple decks in a reading works well. I've just done a study group exercise pulling two cards to describe. It was fun so I did it three times with different decks, then realised the whole six cards formed a consistent reading when I noticed pairs of cards saying very similar things.

Oh definitely. I really like the added dimension oracle cards add to tarot readings and I can see how you'd be able to mix different oracle decks with one another. Some seem better for advice while others articulate about events themselves. There's a lot of potential...