What's YOUR reading style?

ctrymaus

Hello CountryMouse :) Most of the time I do not shuffle in between. On occasion I do but very rarely...I just go with my gut feeling and intuition. If I get a strong urge to shuffle I go with it but more often than not I just continue pulling from the top of the deck.

Okay, thanks! :)

CountryMouse

2dogs

From my corresponding decks I draw the "present" card (today - moon) to compare art, interpretation, gain further insights.

I like that idea although my Tarots don't correspond well enough for that. Maybe it would be interesting to draw a card and look for the same symbol in other decks though.

The only reading I do for others is in the exchanges here which is great for learning to work with spreads and positions. The readings I do for myself have become very unstructured - at the moment just pull a card from each Oracle deck and see what they say about the question. I've just been asking the occasional deep question though as nothing much happens for daily draws to be any use.

Rhinemaiden

I like that idea although my Tarots don't correspond well enough for that. Maybe it would be interesting to draw a card and look for the same symbol in other decks though.

If it would be helpful to you, I'll name the tarot decks I'm currently using:

MAIN DECK FOR DAILY 3 CARD DRAW: Alchemical, 3rd edition.

Corresponding (perhaps a poor word choice?) decks: (from which I draw the same "present" card to compare with the "present" card from the Alchemical)

-- Art of Tarot
-- RWS
-- Morgan Greer
-- Fantastic Menagerie
-- Cosmic
-- Bohemian Gothic
-- Victorian Romantic
-------------------------------

I line up the 8 "present" cards in a row.... for a long comparative look.

Iseke

Spreads never really worked for me. Each time I'd try , I'd end up pulling as many cards as I felt I needed to and the number never matched up with the spread positions. I'd say I have a very intuitive way of pulling cards. I don't shuffle and then pull 7 off the top or whatever. That always felt so arbitrary to me. So what I do is feel/sense where the card I need is located in the deck, and pull as many as I need to that way.

With Oracle decks I usually just pull one unless I feel called to pull more. I don't do three card readings or anything like that.

Onion Budgie

I'd say I have a very intuitive way of pulling cards. I don't shuffle and then pull 7 off the top or whatever. That always felt so arbitrary to me. So what I do is feel/sense where the card I need is located in the deck, and pull as many as I need to that way.

I'd never pull cards straight off the top of a deck either. I tend to shuffle until a card either "pops", or is pushed out, and pull that one, and then repeat the process. As I only usually do three card spreads, that doesn't take too long. I might reassess my methods as and when I come to do larger spreads! :laugh:

Teheuti

I originally responded to this thread when it was in the Tarot section. I see it got moved to Oracles (because Oracle decks were mentioned as being used in conjunction with Tarot?). I've removed my original statement because how I read most Oracle decks is quite different to how I read Tarot. With Tarot I access many layers of meaning that I am constantly scanning as the client is responding to the cards and to my questions about them. I'm looking for the pattern underlying their situation, which the Tarot correspondences can reveal. I don't normally read Oracle Decks for others (Lenormand excepted), but use them for myself. Some I go to because the accompanying book's text is a wisdom oracle in its own right. Sometimes it is like a dialog with that voice - either with the text or with the figures on the cards. With some decks I enter the landscape of the cards. Sometimes the figures speak to me. Other decks are purely symbolic - I read messages in the symbols.

For instance, Dolphin Divination Cards (one of my favorites) simply have a word or short phrase on them. Drawing several cards and playing with how the words combine often yields a "click" that generates an answer or salient description. Additionally, the book that goes with them is, to me, filled with wisdom and insight that I can go to as an oracle text and from which I always get a relevant and helpful message to ponder. I tend to like messages rather than definitive 'answers.'