The Sun as something to leave behind?

Prilica

Perhaps it points that you need to leave the sun garden... Giving your heart as a kid openly has hurt you.. (3 of swords). the knight of pentacles advice you to move slowly and be cautious. Give yourself time to learn.The hermit is that you can learn a lot from that light within you, and that you have become a more mature person

Amanda

How did you put these cards down in front of you?

MissNine

I think it means leaving your ego or expectations behind.

Absynthe

How did you put these cards down in front of you?

Can't quite remember now. I tend not to write things down and just do freestyle spreads.

Absynthe

I think it means leaving your ego or expectations behind.

Yes and no. I can see where you are coming from but I'm not really in the camp that all expectations are necessarily bad or egotistical. The expectation of reciprocal affection and interest for example, is a completely healthy expectation in relationships and one that would lead to imbalanced situations if it wasn't present. In fact, in the past two relationships which have gone sour it's been primarily because my expectations have been discounted or trivialised that I ended up in such damaging situations.

Not really sure my expectations of reciprocity and respect are a problem in this particular situation.

Absynthe

Perhaps it points that you need to leave the sun garden... Giving your heart as a kid openly has hurt you.. (3 of swords). the knight of pentacles advice you to move slowly and be cautious. Give yourself time to learn.The hermit is that you can learn a lot from that light within you, and that you have become a more mature person

That's an interesting thought and one that does kind of match up with the situation. In both of these relationships I came to them with an open mind and allowed these men into my life when they weren't at all what I would normally go for. I probably wasn't very discriminating and they did develop quickly.

MissNine

Yes and no. I can see where you are coming from but I'm not really in the camp that all expectations are necessarily bad or egotistical. The expectation of reciprocal affection and interest for example, is a completely healthy expectation in relationships and one that would lead to imbalanced situations if it wasn't present. In fact, in the past two relationships which have gone sour it's been primarily because my expectations have been discounted or trivialised that I ended up in such damaging situations.

Not really sure my expectations of reciprocity and respect are a problem in this particular situation.
I agree that reciprocal affection and interest are reasonable and healthy exoectations to have for a partner. I was speaking to the ego. Ego doesn't have to mean egotistical. It's a sense of expectations one has with the external world/others and is part of a healthy human being. With the 8 of cups, assuming sun and 8 of cups are both speaking to the same question, the Sun could mean leaving your hopes of this other person meeting your expectations behind because the person won't be able to meet your exoectations and fulfill you. I hope that helps and also clarifies the point I was trying to make before.

Also, maybe there's more context I didn't understand.
I know you said you the 8 of cups was answering what you need to leave behind, but was the Sun also pulled with the 8 of cups? Or did the sun get pulled in a subsequent clarifying question? If Sun came up later (not at same time as 8 of Cups), what was the question you asked when you got the Sun? Sorry if it's obvious and I don't see it. Just making sure I understand you.

Awakened Queen

The Sun (your new connection) is illuminating all these relationship issues from the past. Think of somebody putting a spotlight on your issues and showing you what you need to heal. It's time to let the past go and heal your wounds. Subconsciously you know it's not the right time to put yourself out there again with this new connection until you do. In order to create something new, you have to leave something behind (8 of Cups.) What I'm seeing from the Knight of Disks, is he's a solid, stable, somewhat slow moving guy, so he's willing to wait while you let this past relationship go. Maybe reach out to him as friends though. There's nothing wrong with showing somebody you're interested in getting to know them better.

Absynthe

I agree that reciprocal affection and interest are reasonable and healthy exoectations to have for a partner. I was speaking to the ego. Ego doesn't have to mean egotistical. It's a sense of expectations one has with the external world/others and is part of a healthy human being. With the 8 of cups, assuming sun and 8 of cups are both speaking to the same question, the Sun could mean leaving your hopes of this other person meeting your expectations behind because the person won't be able to meet your exoectations and fulfill you. I hope that helps and also clarifies the point I was trying to make before.

Also, maybe there's more context I didn't understand.
I know you said you the 8 of cups was answering what you need to leave behind, but was the Sun also pulled with the 8 of cups? Or did the sun get pulled in a subsequent clarifying question? If Sun came up later (not at same time as 8 of Cups), what was the question you asked when you got the Sun? Sorry if it's obvious and I don't see it. Just making sure I understand you.

Okay gotcha! Yes I think you have a point here. I probably do have some unrealistic expectations of relationships. I'm not all that much of a pragmatic person really.I wouldn't say I'm looking for a Disney romance but there's probably still a bit of fantasy thing going on in all of it.

Yes the sun was a clarifying question.

What do I need to do about X? Eight of cups
What do I need to leave behind? The Sun

Absynthe

The Sun (your new connection) is illuminating all these relationship issues from the past. Think of somebody putting a spotlight on your issues and showing you what you need to heal. It's time to let the past go and heal your wounds. Subconsciously you know it's not the right time to put yourself out there again with this new connection until you do. In order to create something new, you have to leave something behind (8 of Cups.) What I'm seeing from the Knight of Disks, is he's a solid, stable, somewhat slow moving guy, so he's willing to wait while you let this past relationship go. Maybe reach out to him as friends though. There's nothing wrong with showing somebody you're interested in getting to know them better.

This makes sense and probably true. I don't know if he's necessarily going to stick around though. Either way it can't be helped because as you say I've got my hands full anyway with this other stuff.