8 of Swords reversed

TheProphet

I haven't been using reversals for very long and 8 of Swords RX is quite confusing to me - no pun intended :p. I don't know whether it means "letting go" (of the mental confusion and fear - the blindfold) or that you choose to stay put and are unable to move forward.

How do you read the 8 of Swords reversed?

elena_jaymz

Hi, for me meant still being trapped in my own fears and paranoia.

Grizabella

If you look at it literally, if you were to turn the card over, the person depicted would be dumped out on their head. This could apply in a case where a person imagines they're trapped in a situation and don't even try to get free because trying would entail some things they aren't wanting to deal with. Some circumstance or someone in their lives would just force the issue and dump them out into freedom whether they like it or not.

Thirteen

Griz has a point. The right-side up card is about being trapped and bound by fear of what others will say/think (maybe are saying/thinking). Upright, the woman is still on her feet and able to shuffle her way toward that opening among the swords, dangerous though that is, blindfolded and bound. But upside down, she doesn't have a way to run. I would read this as the person having no choice but to tow the line; keep silent and say only what others want them to say. Generally speaking, it's always better to find a way to "right" a reversed card and get that energy flowing. Reversed usually means the energy of the card is dammed up and unable to teach us it's lesson, a lesson that would help us evolve, develop and, as you say, move on.

Just to add, the upright 8/Swords image is similar to the last stage of Masonic initiation rites where the initiate is blindfolded. He takes final oaths to keep Masonic secrets, and feels knives pointed at him. Now there are two sides to these swords. On the one hand, they suggest that he might be threatened to reveal secrets. Can he resist such threats? They are also a reminder that if he does divulge the secrets, the consequences might be worse than if he kept them secret. So, the person is made to feel helpless, afraid and unarmed, so that he can meditate on whether he has, within him, the willingness to keep such secrets. To not be intimidated into surrendering them--and to accept the dire consequences if he breaks his oaths.

So, the other way to view this card is as a way to look inside, and realize that your ideas, knowledge and secrets give you power even when you feel powerless. If you can hold onto them, rather than giving into fear and spilling them, you'll maintain that power. Putting it another way, it's that part in the Hero's story where he/she has been captured, and it's time for him/her to show that even when trapped, He is the hero of the story, and not so powerless and intimidated as his enemies think.

Which, of course, means that if you reverse it, the person squeals and loses their position and chance to be a hero ;)

Enlightenment23

Oh the 8 of Swords Reversed... you have no idea how long this card has been stalking me over the years.

For the longest, The 8 of Swords reversed, for me, was advice. I tend to allow my mind and fears to create the illusion that I cannot escape the situation I am in. There's nothing I can do. My hands are tied.

But the truth is, there IS a way out -- but the querent is oddly comfortable in the imprisonment she is facing (e.g. an abusive relationship). Or the querent doesn't really know HOW to change his or her perception so that there is clarity -- a clear path to show the querent that there is, indeed, a way out of this horrible situation.

That being said, the 8 of Swords Rx has always meant "Stop telling yourself you can't get out of your situation when there is a clear path out of it if you can just open your eyes and rewire your thinking."

TheProphet

Hi, for me meant still being trapped in my own fears and paranoia.

Okay, thanks :) That's the meaning I've taken on as well, but at other times, due to the surrounding cards in my readings, I've had the impression that it meant 'letting go of the blindfold'. But I'm still not sure.

TheProphet

If you look at it literally, if you were to turn the card over, the person depicted would be dumped out on their head. This could apply in a case where a person imagines they're trapped in a situation and don't even try to get free because trying would entail some things they aren't wanting to deal with. Some circumstance or someone in their lives would just force the issue and dump them out into freedom whether they like it or not.

Yes, I can see that :) I'll defintely keep that in mind when it shows up to see if that could be the case. Thanks.

TheProphet

Griz has a point. The right-side up card is about being trapped and bound by fear of what others will say/think (maybe are saying/thinking). Upright, the woman is still on her feet and able to shuffle her way toward that opening among the swords, dangerous though that is, blindfolded and bound. But upside down, she doesn't have a way to run. I would read this as the person having no choice but to tow the line; keep silent and say only what others want them to say. Generally speaking, it's always better to find a way to "right" a reversed card and get that energy flowing. Reversed usually means the energy of the card is dammed up and unable to teach us it's lesson, a lesson that would help us evolve, develop and, as you say, move on.

Just to add, the upright 8/Swords image is similar to the last stage of Masonic initiation rites where the initiate is blindfolded. He takes final oaths to keep Masonic secrets, and feels knives pointed at him. Now there are two sides to these swords. On the one hand, they suggest that he might be threatened to reveal secrets. Can he resist such threats? They are also a reminder that if he does divulge the secrets, the consequences might be worse than if he kept them secret. So, the person is made to feel helpless, afraid and unarmed, so that he can meditate on whether he has, within him, the willingness to keep such secrets. To not be intimidated into surrendering them--and to accept the dire consequences if he breaks his oaths.

So, the other way to view this card is as a way to look inside, and realize that your ideas, knowledge and secrets give you power even when you feel powerless. If you can hold onto them, rather than giving into fear and spilling them, you'll maintain that power. Putting it another way, it's that part in the Hero's story where he/she has been captured, and it's time for him/her to show that even when trapped, He is the hero of the story, and not so powerless and intimidated as his enemies think.

Which, of course, means that if you reverse it, the person squeals and loses their position and chance to be a hero ;)

"Having no choice but to tow the line; keep silent and say only what others want them to say" makes sense and I can see how that has been the case in some of my readings. Thanks Thirteen :)

TheProphet

Oh the 8 of Swords Reversed... you have no idea how long this card has been stalking me over the years.

For the longest, The 8 of Swords reversed, for me, was advice. I tend to allow my mind and fears to create the illusion that I cannot escape the situation I am in. There's nothing I can do. My hands are tied.

But the truth is, there IS a way out -- but the querent is oddly comfortable in the imprisonment she is facing (e.g. an abusive relationship). Or the querent doesn't really know HOW to change his or her perception so that there is clarity -- a clear path to show the querent that there is, indeed, a way out of this horrible situation.

That being said, the 8 of Swords Rx has always meant "Stop telling yourself you can't get out of your situation when there is a clear path out of it if you can just open your eyes and rewire your thinking."

8 of Swords (upright) has been stalking me too in my readings about a particular situation and area of my life. It makes total sense, I know why it shows up and what it means. That's a good advice from the reversed 8 of Swords, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks :)

Absynthe

When a card's Rx for me, it means the energy of that card is unstable. If it's a negative card like the eight of swords then I read that as the entrapment energy being on the way out of the querent life. It is still present in small measure now but it's grip is weakening and it will soon leave.