astrological chart confusion

firestorm

I went over to astro.com to print out some charts and I was surprised to find that 3 of my planets are in different houses from the chart I've been using for years! That chart I printed from astrology.com several years ago. How do I figure out which one is right and why would there be variations?

Minderwiz

It's probably because different House systems are being used - In which case both charts are 'right' (or neither if you insist on a single solution :) ).

Check the sign positions of the planets just to ensure that they are at the same sign and degree in both charts and also check to see if there is a stated house system, such as Placidus or Koch or Equal Houses.

dadsnook2000

Which house?

Firestorm, it sort of makes you wonder about why people get so absolute about house interpretations, doesn't it? Astrology is like that -- dead on in some cases, ambiguous in other cases. It takes awhile to get it all sorted out. Dave.

firestorm

Minderwiz: One of the charts has exact degrees for the planets and the other rounded off. The planets are all in the same signs.

I'm not overly invested in one particular outcome, but according to the book I have on the 12 houses, some placements are better than others and some can be difficult; it'd be nice to know which one it is...is all. Plus, wouldn't the relationship between the other planets be affected as well? This changes some of the squares and oppositions in my case.

Dadsnook: I wonder about a lot of things. ;)

dadsnook2000

Squares and stuff

The aspects between the planets will not be changed by the choice of one house system over another. The aspects help to shape the planetary energies relative to their core attributes. The signs and houses merely modify (to some degree, but often not in a major way) the expression or face of those energies and where in your life they may most easily be seen.
Some astrologers place less-more-or-no emphasis on houses and signs. Sounds like heresy, but astrology is like tarot -- the magic is in the reader not in the cards or the chart. Dave.

Minderwiz

As Dave says, the aspects between planets will not be changed (assuming that the two charts have the same sign positions).

Houses are one of the problems of Astrology. The large majority of Astrologers see them as a key area in the chart but that large majority cannot agree on a single system. My computer software has the option to use one of 11 different house systems and that is by no means an exhaustive list.

I once did a chart reading using three different House systems and found that whilst there were differences in emphasis the overall readings were very similar. My feeling is that changing the House system makes only a relatively small change.

Virtually all House systems in common start from the Ascendant and nearly all use the four angles as House cusps and probably 7 or 8 planets are in the same Houses whatever the system as a rough and ready average.

The choice of House system does come down to the personality and views of the reader but then so does their interpretation of planets, angles and aspects, their willingness to use Chiron or the asteroids or trans-pluto planets or the arabian parts. As Dave says, the magic is in the reader (as it is with any interpretative art).

isthmus nekoi

The thing about house cusps is that they're not actually bodies in the sky (unlike the stars and planets). So sometimes I'll just interpret a planet in a different house if it is close to a cusp and I see themes leading it there. Charts..... they have a certain... weight to them, and if you can get a feel for where they lean, or understand the psychology of the person, then you are in a better position to gauge the house influence I think.

dadsnook2000

isthmus

isthmus

Your very right, the "feel" we get for a chart determines where we bend the rules or choose what to see and what not to see. It's an art form, a skill, experience in life, intuitition, study and a sense of carefree fun and curiosity all mixed together. Dave.