Is a tarot app as good as picking a card?

tarotlova

Well I use Orphalese and I read professionally too, exclusively via email readings only. I was finding it really hard to take a photo of the cards when they were in a large spread, so I would lay them out manually and then load it up onto Orphalese to take a snapshot of the cards and it works out beautifully. But then I thought I would experiment by just using Orphalese in these large spreads and see if it would make any difference to my readings. I chose clients who I have had a lot of repeat readings from to see if they noticed a difference. Nada, not one of them knew the difference, and I still got remarks like oh you hit the nail on the head with this one. So I guess it really is the intent that you put behind the reading much like spell work, if you're not comfortable with it then it won't work, if you are then it will. I have to add though that I do own the hard copies of the decks I use save for one or two, I still love to shuffle though!

wheelie

I got used to using the digital cards and printed cards at the same time. I have been using both.

However, I did it with thoughtfulness, intention, and faith.

Since I was learning about readings as psychological and spiritual events, I just figured the real mysticism wasn't actually in the physical items. Yet to be fair, it's not entirely separate from them either!

The attitude that "it doesn't matter" could lead to trivialization, in which case even superstition might be better. For readings to work, it seems to me they have to be taken seriously. Therefore, I wrap my decks in silk handkerchiefs and use special shuffles--even though the ritual could be anything meaningful tome.

My thinking on using the online cards is that in "reality," the images really exist in our collective psychology rather than on cardboard, so that in a way, the online format is even closer in allegory to the truth than the mass printed versions. I have found ways to do grounding and tune in and to make the reading special in digital format--with thoughtfulness, intention, and faith.

For a reading to work, it seems to me there must be three things, at least:

1. A cosmic view: wisdom that can be expressed through a system like tarot.
2. Sortilage (a technical term): The cards mixing so that each reading is special.
3. Open heart: The reading has to be taken seriously by someone really seeking.

If these things can be done digitally then I think the reading will work; if not, it's better to stick to the traditional ways.

Grizabella

For me it wouldn't be the same. But for many others, it might work just fine. I think each reader just needs to experiment around to find what works best for them and if it's an app, then by all means they should continue using it. :)

spookyboo22

I just did a answer your burning question reading on the aeclectic tarot app.
I'm feeling down and asked should I go for a swim at the spa?
The answer was the nine of pentacles.
It said go to a spa!! Pretty accurate lol xx

trzes

I also don't believe in cleansing my physical cards, and I don't believe that little stacks of paper printed off and packaged in some factory in China by workers in probably terrible working conditions are somehow inherently sacred objects, so that attitude probably predisposes me to feel comfortable with apps, as well.

My view exactly. But still, a computer is a fully determenistic system. The only bit where the "devine" could interfere is the moment you choose to click on your mobile. Physically shuffeling and drawing cards from a physical deck leaves way more slots for the devine to produce a meaningful output.

Well, as a die-hard naturalist I don't believe in the devine anyway, so this aspect doesn't bother me at all. But why should I spend thousands of Euros on all the finest tarot decks, and then do my readings using a mundane app? How stupid would that look? I would expose myself as a genuine TOADie. So no way! })

snowmoon

for drawing the card, it would be the same for tarot app, and actual deck...i like to work with my deck more then tarot app. i don't use tarot app at all.

Nightsky

I think synchronicity will adapt to whatever media you're using to provide the right cards, coins, runes, etc.

In addition to being highly portable, I've noticed some cards look better on the screen than they do in print and it's a great way to get the LWB if it's out of print.

Mostly I prefer a physical deck, but during the day that's often not possible for me at work or on the go and I use apps.

Shade

The Fool's Dog did a tremendous amount of work on the randomization function of their apps. I don't have the technical background to explain it (a mathematician probably could) but one of my takeaways was that often a randomizer is making use of a large number of presets sorts; a "true random" sort is very difficult to achieve but the Fool's Dog managed it for their apps.

Also, their apps contain within their junk code a spell written by Ivo Dominguez with the intent of helping the reader connect with their own oracular powers - which I think is a very fun and thoughtful touch.

danieljuk

In my experience it is! However I have well made apps with good randomisation and beautifully made. I believe because my phone is around me all the time, it really picks up my energy. Some of the free apps with ad banners are not as well made and it depends really on how good the app is!

I do use it on myself and a daily card from Galaxy Tone but I don't read for other people with apps, unless they ask me to. Also I always do large spreads and important personal readings with real cards.

I am dubious though of websites where you randomly pick cards and then it gives you an interpretation. Some websites charge you for that and it's so computerised. However other sites let you pick the cards and then get a reading interpreted by real people. There is varying degrees of quality. But as a basic principle I believe that digitally pulling a card is the same as a cardboard physical version. Plus I always have a few decks digitally on me :) :thumbsup:

ihcoyc

My view exactly. But still, a computer is a fully determenistic system. The only bit where the "devine" could interfere is the moment you choose to click on your mobile. Physically shuffeling and drawing cards from a physical deck leaves way more slots for the devine to produce a meaningful output.

A divinity that's capable of acting on a physical deck of cards but not on a computer program is not much of a divinity.

FWIW, the act of shuffling is no more indeterminate than a computer random number generator. Rather, both of them rely on the kind of "indeterminacy" that rises out of "this is too complicated to keep track of."