How long did it take you since you started learning Tarot to get professional?

Frannie

Hi all
I am not a professional reader yet, I have a looong way to go before that, but the thinking of becoming one one day keeps me going on my studies with more enthusiasm as each day goes by. I am curious about one thing. I know everyone is different and have developed their reading skills in different frames of time, and that quality is not equivalent to more time, but, how long (months, years) did you study and practiced before feeling confident enough to read professionaly? I know the answers will vary from person to person, just a thought that came to me while reading in this section :)

Grizabella

Well, when I first got the idea to read the cards for strangers and charge money for it, I figured I'd be ready to hang out a shingle in about a month. :p I mean, how long can it take to memorize the meanings for 78 cards, anyway?

But a little while into that first month, my ideas changed dramatically and the "finish line" started looking more like 30 years away than 30 days away!

I didn't get brave enough to charge money till a couple of years ago and I've been using the cards for almost 8 years now. Just like the old saying, "The more I know, the more I know I don't know".

NightQueen

well I started when I was 14, and I guess went pro by 19 so 5 yrs all up, but do take into consideration I was young and in my teens, people who learn tarot at a more mature age, and have more understanding of life could very well go pro within 6 mths, I've seen it happen, but I say for as long as we are alive we are learning, for as long as we hold our deck in our hands we are still learning
Blessed Be

Frannie

That was so funny Solitaire, the exact same thing happened to me! I bought my Universal Waite, a couple of books, called a Tarot teacher, and thought "How much would I be charging in a month more, how long would it take to learn the meanings of 78 cards in one month anyway, easy as pie!" WRONG.
I have been seriously studying for two years now, yet I want to practice a lot more face to face readings before getting my certification and start reading professionaly, I know that when the time is right I will feel it inside.
Wow, NightQueen, you were very young when you started learning! I wished I had began my studies way younger, but I guess the Universe thought it wasn't my time yet :)

Grizabella

Just a tip---no need to get certified before becoming professional. ;)

Sulis

I still don't read a lot professionally but I decided to 'go professional' after I'd been reading about 6 years.

I still consider myself to be very much a tarot student though :)

And I agree with Solitaire - forget the certification, you don't need it and neither does any one else. Certification just makes querants think that readers who are certified are somehow better than readers who aren't; they're not (believe me :)).

MareSaturni

I'm not 'pro' yet, but i'm leaning towards that. I've started studying tarot when i was 13/14...i'm 20, so that makes a bit more than 6 years of tarot reading/learning. And i still think it ain't enough.

I guess someday you just have to show your face to the world and that's it...i'm trying to do that (not easy at all). Big step, it's hard to feel ready. But there's a moment in your tarot journey you just need that 'next step'...either you feel prepared or not...

Flavio

I was blessed with a lot of acquantainces that allowed me to practice since 1st day of study, the practice continued for 18 months before I felt confident to read for complete strangers, at that moment I didn't charge money I just offered my service for a charity event, after that I completed 3 years of study before charging profesional fees.

Now I think I should had charged before ;) maybe two good years of study were enough, anyway I'll always study Tarot.

Demon Goddess

Get this. I've been reading since I was 14. I'm 42 now.

I got the idea last year that I'd finally start to read professionally and even put a plan in place so that I would start in January 2008.

I've still not had my first client. :D

------------

Flavio! Amigo... coma esta? long time no see!

mac22

After about a yr with my deck I put out a tips jar..:) This was in the early 60s.... so I have been at it awhile.... I now read regularly at 2 day spas.... and stay booked 6-7 mos ahead :D

Mac22