Talking about the GAME of Tarot

Rosanne

The is a dearth of information here about the GAME OF TAROT.
I need educating on the subject.

Here is what wiki says....

The original purpose of tarot cards was for playing games, the first basic rules appearing in the manuscript of Martiano da Tortona before 1425. The game of tarot is known in many variations (mostly cultural); the first basic rules for the game of Tarocco appear in the manuscript of Martiano da Tortona (before 1425; translated text), and the next are known from the year 1637. In Italy the game has become less popular; one version named Tarocco Bolognese: Ottocento has still survived and there are still others played in Piedmont, but the number of games outside of Italy is much higher. The French tarot game is the most popular in its native country and there are regional tarot games often known as tarock,tarok,or tarokk widely played in central Europe.

I have lots of questions...
Some are...
What makes the French game more popular?
How many can play?
How is gambling applied?
Are hands of cards given names?
What is good hand/ what is a bad hand?
Are there better tricks than other tricks?
Do you play with a partner or as a sole player?
Is there a difference between how it was played and how it is played now?
Is there concrete knowledge of how it was played in the first place?
and so on......

Now I do not want any knowledge of the transistion from Game to Divination.
Just the Game.
No great links of copious reading to understand the rules- that can be done here in open and sharing enthusiasm.
Share here like you were explaining Chess to a newbie.

Go to it Players! :thumbsup:

~Rosanne

Rosanne

:* :cool: :surprise: :love:

Now have I just been blind or has this never been shown on Aeclectic before?

Required watching!

I's do love the wee man explaining the opening film.

I have downloaded the book and will peruse at leisure. Then I will ask questions.

Thank you Huck.

~Rosanne

Rosanne

Now I have just about every deck suggested.
How often will I have to replace the decks if I play regularly?
I play 500, Bridge whist etc etc and replace the cards on a regular basis.

A 78 card Jeu de Tarot - a standard French suited pack - Dal Negro Tarocco Indovino ?

A 54 card Tarock - another French suited pack : No/Nope/Nada any suggestions?

A Tarocco Peidmontese - a 78 card Italian suited pack :thumbsup:

*A Tarocco Bolognese - the tarocchino :thumbsup:

*A Tarocco Siciliano :thumbsup:

For instance I love my Mitelli and although I would love to play Tarot with it- I do not know if I could stand the wear and tear on it.

Oooo ahhhh I now have a use for the il Meneghello Les Personnages Napoleoniens.... no chips and dip with those cards mind you. Or Beer.
*I have two double sided decks...are they the best?

~Rosanne

Huck

Double sided decks have advantages for practical play. Big numbers for trumps also.

Rosanne

Huck said:
Double sided decks have advantages for practical play. Big numbers for trumps also.
Why is that?

and really that knocks out the Indovino as it is hard to tell the difference between the cards except for the small indice in the corner..I Guess???

Huck

Playing needs quick recognition of the cards. For most - those,which are not used to the motifs and their ranking - playing is easier with double headed cards (nobody loves to feel tempted to sort the cards before the game) and big number for trumps.

... and you need others to play with ... with you better 4 or 5 than 3 persons, cause games with 4 are more amusing than with 3. If there are 5 , one player deals and sits for a game.

northsea

I only play the Hoyle version on computer against the alien and parrot. A good hand, something to bid at least Prise with, has at least 8 or so trumps, and it's good to have at least two of the trump counters( Bouts), the World, the Magician and/or the Fool (Excuse), plus some high ranking court cards. It's always nice to pickup a couple of these in the kitty (Chien). Usually, it's played that the players gang up against the highest bidder to try and prevent them from making their bid though I think there are partner versions out there.

Philebus has posted here in the past regarding his excellent website.

Rosanne

Thank you Northsea for your post- that is exactly the type of information I was hoping for.
I was also hoping for anectdotal stuff- like etiquette and banter associated with game playing. This would be such as the bird names given to some cards- sparrow etc.
This Game paying cannot be such a narrow field, that a few posts and link says it all. 600 years and no famous stories?

~Rosanne