Help for old french card. Fish & Clog.

Bernice

Bee: Earlier post.
Card number 11 (six ladies/queens in a row), could they be Napoleons sisters?
I found some paintings online of Napoleon and Josephine which also showed some of his sisters. I cannot think what this row of ladies might indicate, so wondered if his sisters were known for 'doing' or 'being' anything in particular. ......wearing crowns - promotion?

eta: I can't see what that mark/thing is at the hem of the second ladys' dress. Is it meant to be there?

Bee :)

Rosanne

I think these are the ladies all Bonaparte women- given his penchant for making a royal family for the Coronation......:joke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXKnEK9mKYo

They are three sisters Caroline, Pauline and Elisa Bacciochi, Hortense wife of Louis Bonaparte, Julie Clary wife of Joseph Bonaparte.
In the painting on the link....
Madame de Segur holding train, with Mme. De la Roclefoucauld and Mme, De La Valette.

Caroline was Queen of Naples?
I have an idea that Queen Louisa of Prussia was there, but she might have just been painted in, like his parents and one sister who refused to be there.

If these cards are about the Coronation of Napoleon then the cards would have to be after 1804.

The usual seafood of the masses was whale meat (bet you didn't know that)
and it was considered red meat- so it could not be eaten on Friday and Lent and a thousand other days- so Cod and Halibut was a life saver. The people were starving (remember the earlier "let them eat cake")

~Rosanne

Bernice

The usual seafood of the masses was whale meat (bet you didn't know that)
No I didn't! Red meat, poor souls.

Thank you for that link Rosanne. I also looked at the other Napoleon videos in the hopes there might be some clue regarding the other cards in this deck. The seaching went on :).

Excerpt from: http://www.georgianindex.net/Napoleon/coronation/coronation.html
According to the precis verbal of the master of ceremonies, Segur, the ceremony took place in accordance with the plans. After taking the crowns and other regalia from the altar and blessing them, the Pope returned them to the altar and then took his seat. Napoleon advanced and took a crown known as the Charlemagne crown, though the actual French Coronation crown known by that name had been destroyed during the French Revolution and this crown was a new crown made to look Medieval, from the altar and placed it on his own head. He then returned to the altar and replaced the so called Charlemagne crown with a laurel wreath made of gold of the type worn by Roman Emperors. Napoleon then once again took up the Charlemagne Crown and walk to the kneeling Josephine. As he held the crown up, Napoleon stated that he was crowning Josephine as his wife, not by her own right. This is the moment illustrated in David's famous painting of the coronation. Napoleon is wearing his personal golden laurel wreath crown and holding up the newly made Coronation or Charlemagne Crown. He then touched the coronation crown to Josephine's head.

This book looks interesting: Napoleon: His Wives and Women. By Christopher Hibbert
Description:
This fresh account of the private life of Napoleon provides an authoritative, up-to-date account of the women in Napoleon's life at all stages of his developing and extraordinary career, based on the fruits of modern research. Hibbert looks at Napoleon's marriages to the charming Creole from Martinique, Josephine Tascher de la Pagerie, and the plain and pliant Austrian Archduchess Marie Louise, as well as his affairs with his various mistresses, from the pretty, 20-year-old milliner's apprentice Pauline Foures, who was smuggled out to Egypt wearing the uniform of her husband's regiment, to the young Polish Countess Marie Walewska who resisted him at first but, persuaded by her elderly husband and other Polish patriots to submit, eventually fell in love with him. From his time as an unknown young Corsican officer to First Consul, Emperor and finally exile on St Helena, Napoleon's string of brief liaisons led him to proclaim to Josephine that the "ordinary rules of morality and propriety" did not apply to him. As well as the wives and mistresses, the book examines Napoleon's relationship with the women of his family, all of whom disliked and envied Josephine: his beloved, parsimonious mother and his three sisters, Elisa, Caroline and Pauline.

However, the Napoleonic Codes that he introduced were very restrictive!
http://french-history.suite101.com/article.cfm/napoleonic_codes

Must look more closely at these cards........

Rosanne

Well if these cards were a game of conversation, I wonder how many ladies could name the Bonaparte women? Early form of Trivial Pursuit I guess.
I am tempted to get the image of the dressed Cow and enlarge it.
OH I think the angel at the hymnal is Michael= Michaelmas end of November- two weeks before the Coronation- so start of festivities.

I did not know about the codes.Thank you for the link.

For a country that had many an independent woman- this was very sad.
Chattels. Chatelaine- sewing things bits and bobs and odds and ends. Sorry state.....connections.... I wonder if Louisiana has some of these draconian codes still in practice.

I must admit it has been fun looking at these cards Bee!
Thanks for the enthusiasm and posting them in the first place.
I see on other threads that the Black Cat Fortune telling cards are still about.
I would like someone to go to St Augustine in Florida and have a look at the Museum there and see if there is any early cards. If I had to to live in the USA that would be my choice of destination- it is a very pretty place. Ahhh I digress.......

~Rosanne

Bernice

Rosane: OH I think the angel at the hymnal is Michael= Michaelmas end of November- two weeks before the Coronation- so start of festivities.
I wonder if the hymn in the card had anything to do with the coronation?

prudence

Bernice said:
I've blown up the other hand..... murky

He's clearly flashing a gang sign. :D

It is murky though.... very difficult to make out anything...

Bernice

prudence said:
He's clearly flashing a gang sign........ :D
Love it! :laugh:

I now think that the bubble is a magnifying glass - but there's nothing to examine, unless it was tiny & faint.... and finally faded away altogether.

Was it the bee. :)

Bernice

OMG! I've never seen an 'aspergillum' or a glass 'situla'. But the word 'aspergillum' sounds familiar......... will go look it up :)

In the meantime: So he could be about to blow a bubble!. Love it. Whom would he be blessing/consecrating(?) by doing this. Napoleon? The Pope at his coronation only blessed him - Napoleon didn't get the full 'thing' did he.

P.S. Just found out that Josphine re-introduced slavery!

Rosanne

Bernice said:
In the meantime: So he could be about to blow a bubble!. Love it. Whom would he be blessing/consecrating(?) by doing this. Napoleon? The Pope at his coronation only blessed him - Napoleon didn't get the full 'thing' did he.

P.S. Just found out that Josphine re-introduced slavery!

Nah a blessing in the fact that Holy water is sprinkled to ward of evil.
There are many ways to ward off evil this way; an aspergillium could be a small paint brush that is daubed on your forehead.

Just think, the Bee is captured within Holy Water bubble- so the inference might be that the Church will keep the French safe with this upstart. Or the bee cannot move outside the church; or just "gottcha ya pesky little buzzer"

I did not know that about Josephine and Slavery. I do not think it a great love story anyway- a lust story for a while no doubt. He could not sting her anyway and went buzzing for another to have a child with. I wonder if he ever thought the Bee thing through? A worker bee dies once mated with the Queen. Josephine had her share of Lovers- quite the Courtesan, maybe that is what she thought was slavery- a bee in a bubble at her command. :laugh:

~Rosanne