Which cards say narcissist?

Barleywine

Thank you Barleywine. As usual your assessments are quite erudite. A lot to think on here. Of course, I'm sure you are aware there are two forms of narcissistic: overt and covert. I'm going to check Crowley on this. I think I need to actually study Crowley much more than I have. I have his books and deck, but rarely use them.

Crowley's characterizations of what he calls the "moral qualities" of the court cards are some of the best out there from a behavioral psychology standpoint, even though he wasn't thinking of them in those terms as far as I know. I imagine they were based on older ideas of temperament and constitution.

CosmicTarot

Magician, Devil, Nine of Cups in certain combinations. Knight of Wands (mainly reverse) would be the player in my spreads. Chariot could be, but he’s more of a douche. But I have to stress that this is true, for me, only in certain spreads and combinations. King of Swords is proud and probably a little narcissistic, though, I wouldn't take it as an indication in itself.

rwcarter

For a deck-specific answer, Narcissus is the Page Cups in the Mythic Tarot.

Ruby Jewel

Magician, Devil, Nine of Cups in certain combinations. Knight of Wands (mainly reverse) would be the player in my spreads. Chariot could be, but he’s more of a douche. But I have to stress that this is true, for me, only in certain spreads and combinations. King of Swords is proud and probably a little narcissistic, though, I wouldn't take it as an indication in itself.

I see the Kn of W keeps coming up. I can see it....a big ego, but I don't think the Kn of Wands hangs out long enough to take the time or that much interest. I'm trying to understand the 9 of C ....the "wish card"....alcoholic maybe, but I don't see manipulative power plays like you see in the Devil and the Magician "control" or the emotional insecurity compensation of the K and Kn of Cups

Ruby Jewel

Crowley's characterizations of what he calls the "moral qualities" of the court cards are some of the best out there from a behavioral psychology standpoint, even though he wasn't thinking of them in those terms as far as I know. I imagine they were based on older ideas of temperament and constitution.

Weren't Jung and Crowley contemporaries? Perhaps he pulled from Jung's "Psychological Types." I have the H.G.Baynes translations of Jung....I will have to check that out as well now. Thanks Barleywine.

Ruby Jewel

For a deck-specific answer, Narcissus is the Page Cups in the Mythic Tarot.

Good call. I had not thought of that, but you are right, he is actually Narcissus: I can see him as "lost" in a dream...maybe he's looking at his own image in the cup...I like it. Thanks rwc

headincloud

I'm thinking of a "manipulative" personality as opposed to someone who has psychological problems or addictions. The Magician Rx fits absolutely. I see the Magician Rx as the Devil, so I think the Devil upright fits, but not necessarily Rx. Thanks for the thoughts.

I see, according to Anthony Louis the king C rx is the embodiment of unbridled narcissism, the knight C rx is also a narcissistic character, both are ultimate manipulators along with the magician rx and devil rx who reigns supreme according to Jayne Lyle. They may or may not be ill.

I agree the 7S fills your criteria for acting without conscience and probably 5S too.

The emperor rx uses women for sexual gratification or ego boosting which is pretty manipulative.

ihcoyc

The Devil and the Pope (esp. rv) would appear to me to be another combination. The Pope is a character who expects his every word to be considered law.

IndigoWaves

The Devil and the Pope (esp. rv) would appear to me to be another combination. The Pope is a character who expects his every word to be considered law.
Some Hierophants do operate in insufferably self-aggrandizing ways that spill out from their assumed cloaks of "humble servitude"... The Chosen Ones who speak only the "Right" words and have the only voice really worth listening to, if you have any sense at all (so you'd better listen and heed -- ignoring the observations, doubts, and reasoning of your own silly, "disrespectful" brains -- if you know what's good for you, etc.)...

The medical profession, for example, is one place where they're often found. Also, I've drawn this card to represent an "immoderate moderator" (of an unrelated website) with a penchant for banning those whose personal opinions happened to differ from his own... When this practice was complained about, he'd publicly remind us (the site's admin, really) that he was the only active mod, doing it for free out of the goodness of his heart -- and had plans to make his own competing/"better" site if he were ever replaced. ;)

The Hierophant can be viewed as a potential or actual cult leader, too, just as compelling and misleading as the Devil; I haven't seen that the two cards must appear together/in the same reading for this to occur, though... A sufficiently "swollen", ego and dogma-filled Hierophant can apparently be enough.