Tarot and the Da Vinci Code

EricTheHermit

Mabuse -

Thanks for posting that link! What I find most interesting are the King and Queen cards. The King kind of looks like Jesus and he holds two wands. One is hoisted high, the other is pointed down. I wonder if those wands also symbolize the bloodline of David, one of them being the Church's lie about the bloodline ending with Jesus, and the other being the supressed truth of the bloodline continuing through Jesus and Magdalene's descendants.

Do you notice how the Queen is pointing to the medallion she wears? Could this be a portrait of Magdalene? Could she be saying, "I am the true rock, not Peter?"

The fact that the Mona Lisa was chosen for the backs of this deck made me not only wonder about hidden messages in the deck, but also remember the theories of hidden messages in Da Vinci's paintings, especially the Last Supper. Jesus sits next to a figure that is supposed to be John the Baptist, but is obviously a woman - Magdalene - who is practically holding Jesus' hand. Their bodies have perfect symmetrical angles which, combined, look like the letter M.

Next to the Magdalene figure is Peter, a scowl on his face. He appears to lean over and whisper to her, and his hand is positioned horizontally across her throat, as if he wanted to slash it.

It was common for many artists to include hidden messages in their paintings at that time, especially in religious-themed paintings. Back then, to voice any opinion that contradicts Chruch doctrine could get you arrested and executed for heresy. So, artists had to hide their views in their paintings. Fascinating and intriguing stuff!

- Eric

f. silvestris

Off the top of my head, and without checking, surely it is S. John of the Revelation, the best-loved disciple, next to Jesus in the Last Supper?

EricTheHermit

Oops, I think I mixed up St. John of Revelations (some historians say that he did not write Revelations, that it was some other man named John who wrote it) with John the Baptist, but the John figure in the painting has a very feminine appearance and certainly looks like a woman.

In the Gnostic Gospels, Magdalene is described as being the best-loved by Jesus, not St. John. The apostles all hated her, but Peter hated her the most. She was a wise and feisty woman who wouldn't take crap from them, and Jesus loved her for that.

In the Da Vinci Code Decoded documentary, one of the interviewees says that Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John the apostles did not really write the gospels that bear their names. The real writers of those gospels based them on what each apostle was teaching after Jesus' death. That's why the gospels are so different. For example, when Jesus is crucified, only one gospel tells of two theives who were crucified alongside him; one asks Jesus to prove his divinity and free them all, the other repents his sins and Jesus grants him salvation. Also, the part where Jesus brings a dead little girl back to life appears in only one gospel.

- Eric

Scion

Helvetica said:
I've not read the Da Vinci Code, and it's not high up on my to-read list - but I have read some of the so-called Gnsotic gospels available on the net, and Jean-Luc Leloup's translation and commentary of the Gospel of Mary (very beautiful book). They do intrigue me.

Does anyone know of any unbiased historical and/or theological study of these? I mean unbiased either way!! (I imagine the most unbiased would be atheists!)
Sophie, we have to stop meeting like this! LOL

Actually I did a large part of my religion degree on gnostic Xianity. Although it's not perfect, the most credible and accessible entry text would be Dr. Elaine Pagels' The Gnostic Gospels, which is a pretty solid, unbiased overview of the texts and the themes explored/raised therein. (Although it may only focus on Valentinian Gnosticism... I have to check...) That said, I would not rush Brown's novel to the top of any of your stacks... n.b.: it's a beach book in mock-damask. Every time someone compares it to Eco I think a small part of me dies.

EricTheHermit said:
In the Da Vinci Code Decoded documentary, one of the interviewees says that Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John the apostles did not really write the gospels that bear their names.
I've following this thread for a few days and didn't want to squelch anyone's enthusiasm; but reading the posts I thought maybe a couple of further reading recs might not be amiss.

The thing to remember about the Da Vinci Code Decoded is the reason the documentary was created: the timing, the target market, the shelf-life. And that it's based on a book by Martin Lunn which contains some extremely dubious scholarship. Don't get me wrong, I have a streak of the conspiracy theorist in me, but homework must be done even for TV documentaries. Lunn is dissecting Dan Brown's novel very much after the fact AND using many of the resources that Brown used to write the book. So there's a circular logic there, an ideological feedback loop if you will. Of course the scholars he cites are intrigued by the possible truths of the novel; the truths were lifted wholesale from their own work, substantive and otherwise. And the scholars Brown consulted run the gamut from conservatively unimpeachable (a few) to the wacky and non-credible (more than a few).

That is also not to say that it's not an interesting topic to discuss or an interesting challenge to dogma. The thing is, this stuff is my meat; I studied it at university, and I continue to throw textual logs on the flame every year. So I'm immediately wary of the mass-marketed, fast-food, People-magazine scholarship that dips into topics with glossy soundbites sans real grasp or credible references. Go for the full meal! I DO think there is real controversy in this subject and I can say without a doubt that Catholicism, Inc. has spent millenia manipulating and hiding events and facts.

If this book and the subsequent media maelstrom has really piqued people's interest, I hope they'll be spurred to dig deeper. Check out ANY of Dr. Pagels' books. Read Walter Burkert's Ancient Mystery Cults or Samuel Angus' book on early Xianity called Mystery-Religions. For primary textsof "pagan" and "monotheistic" origin, there's a nice collection called Ancient Mysteries: A Sourcebook, edited by Marvin Myer (I think). And definitely take a look at the Nag Hammadi texts for yourself, they are fascinating and wildly contradictory. For most of the early centiuries of Xianity, Gnosticism was its most popular mutation. In fact, until the Council of Nicea in 325, it was pretty much the only option. Gnosticism is a fascinating thread of thought in Xianity and Judaism that has many branches and sects if its own.

In religion (and history), nothing is simple. If you're genuinely interested or even just curious, flesh out your knowledge before you let other folks' opinions take hold in your imagination. Opinions and scholarship don't come out of a vacuum... like Tarot (or civilization for that matter) they build on what comes before. Demand excellence. Not to be overdramatic, but it's like eating: sure you can survive on junk food, but can you live? And why would you want to?

Tarot-wise, I can also recommend a SUPERB starting point. Robert Place's fantastic new book makes a very credible case for the Tarot's relation to Neoplatonic (i.e. Renaissance Gnostic) thought... definitely worth checking out by anyone interested in history or religion and its relation to Tarot. It's reviewed on Aeclectic here.

Anyways, now I realize that I've just had another one of my weird braindump manifestations and I hope I'm not being a buzzkill, but I just wanted to "speak my truth," even if it's only mine. :)

Peace Out

Scion

Cerulean

Here's an amazon.com review/dvd product link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=B0002ZDVFY/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

The reason that I am interested is that I hope Ms. Starbird gets to actually see and comment on the original Ferarrese decks that are available to view via art catalogues nowadays. There are some French King Arthurian romantic literature links that Stuart Kaplan and other historians have commented upon in the original Ferarra decks, which are more widely available now to the curious students, as I am.

If you saw the DVD, did the trump cards mentioned or shown also speak of the original family of Ferarra that sponsored the art of the deck, the D'Estensi (D'Este)?

Original Lovers Card in the so-called Charles VI/G

http://expositions.bnf.fr/renais/grand/038.htm

At the times of her original books, she only had included what looks like a colorized version that looked like a 1980's limited edition reprint available from a French graphic artist. Both Michael Innes and her books did not have the original aged cards, so I was disappointed in the analysis. There are color differences in her modernized reproductions and things such as the upper right hand corner of the modern reprint have been cleaned up--the cover of her book shows a pretty, fresher-looking image:

http://www.telisphere.com/~starbird/

If you are interested, I'll link to the discussion threads that speaks of Margaret Starbirds books and my original commentary.

The page below with commentary as I read the Women in the Alabastar Jar recently.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=28388&highlight=margaret+starbird

Regards,

Cerulean

P.S. My husband watched a special on an anniversary of Leonardo da Vinci last week with Stone Phillips as the narrator. It was very enjoyable, as he liked the book, found it entertaining. Both he and his sister (who passed the book on to him, free), were raised Catholic and respect their mother's very strong beliefs. They did not think she would enjoy it very much, as she likes her fiction rather tame...

f. silvestris

For anyone who wishes to read Gnostic texts, a useful online source is www.gnosis.org/library.html - I download texts from the site from time to time, but can't say that I've used any of the other resources they provide.