The Alaire Deck

jalaire

For me it's an unusual symbol, but you have a reason for putting it there, so keep it. I'm always up for having my tarot boundaries stretched. :)

Yeah, I'm really trying to stick with the basic traditional RWS symbolism with this deck just for learning purposes. I hope to perhaps make another deck in the future that pushes the boundaries a little bit more, once I'm more comfortable/knowledgeable with tarot! :) Thank you so much for the input, though!

reall

Yes, those are pomegranates on her cloak. I know the pomegranate is associated with the High Priestess but I was also under the impression that it was also associated with the Empress as it is a symbol of fertility? I could be wrong, like I said I'm still learning. :)

http://www.biddytarot.com/cards/empress.jpg is the card I used as inspiration.

Also this was the link to the info that I used :) http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/empress.shtml
eh? why did I always think those are roses or oranges?x,X ;))))

jalaire

I originally thought they were flowers too, but everything I've read learning about this card said pomegranates. *shrug* Although, I still think flowers would have worked just the same as a symbol of fertility.

truelighth

I just love the painted Empress! I also like that you used pomegranates. They are often associated with the High Priestess: Persephone in the underworld, who was given a pomegranate and then has to return each half year to the underworld. But in that sense, you can also see the Empress as her mother Demeter and then I think the pomegranates fit. Anyway, I like it!

I also like the Fool. I wasn't sure at first that the Fool was in one colour, but it actually works better that way, since it really sets it apart from the background.

Shade

OK I must admit a part of me thought "Do we need another take on the Rider Waite; does this one have enough to stand out?" I am totally on board after seeing your High Priestess in color. If I were nit-picky (apparently I am) I might find the Fool to be a bit too much in shadow for such a light card but then perhaps that is what you are going for.

Let us know when you are kickstarting your deck.

jalaire

If I were nit-picky (apparently I am) I might find the Fool to be a bit too much in shadow for such a light card but then perhaps that is what you are going for.

Honestly, I was kind of worried about that. I wasn't super happy with how dark she turned out. My thought going into it was I wanted her to be in silhouette, in a blank slate sort of feel so she would take on the energy of the situation. I have another little tweak that I'll paint up and see what you guys think.

Also thank you for the compliments! I hadn't really intended to sell this deck so much as I just wanted to make my own deck for learning purposes. Of course I wouldn't be opposed to selling it if anyone is actually interested.

rwcarter

I hadn't really intended to sell this deck so much as I just wanted to make my own deck for learning purposes. Of course I wouldn't be opposed to selling it if anyone is actually interested.
IF? Shirley you jest! :D So work selling it into your plans.

jalaire

IF? Shirley you jest! :D So work selling it into your plans.

You flatter me! :) I'll definitely try to work figuring out selling options into the plan!

jalaire

Here is a lighter version of the fool and the hierophant. Let me know what you think! :)

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 184