Is Singing a 3rd or 5th house matter?

CosmicBeing

I am practicing horary a bit here and there. A friend ask me about singing.

I felt like singing would be 5th house matter because it's a house dealing with entertainment and arts.

But then again 3rd house is a communication/vocal house.

So am I correct of it being a 5th house matter?

Sharla

If it's only a hobbies of hers then it would be her radical 5th house.

If it's something she's learning then it would be her radical 9th.

Barleywine

Interesting question. I could see singing purely for pleasure or entertainment as being 5th house, while singing with a "message" (like the protest songs of the "folk era") could edge over into 3rd house. In those days, Bob Dylan was more about the "message" than the "medium" of expression since he couldn't really sing. But I would be inclined to see it mainly as 5th house since it's one of the performing arts.

CosmicBeing

If it's only a hobbies of hers then it would be her radical 5th house.

If it's something she's learning then it would be her radical 9th.

She is the one asking so I won't be using radical. But thanx for sharing. I can see that.

CosmicBeing

Interesting question. I could see singing purely for pleasure or entertainment as being 5th house, while singing with a "message" (like the protest songs of the "folk era") could edge over into 3rd house. In those days, Bob Dylan was more about the "message" than the "medium" of expression since he couldn't really sing. But I would be inclined to see it mainly as 5th house since it's one of the performing arts.

She is asking about if it's the career for her... so I wanted to see how the 5th house was doing. I am guessing I would mainly look at her 10th house lord and then look at 5th lord (state of the house as well)....also 1st lord ruler and see what aspects are made.

Thanx for sharing your views of the houses.

Sharla

She is the one asking so I won't be using radical. But thanx for sharing. I can see that.

Well if it's asking about her "career" in singing, then it is going to be a radical, as it will be her 5th from 10th which will make it her radical 2nd.

Barleywine

She is asking about if it's the career for her... so I wanted to see how the 5th house was doing. I am guessing I would mainly look at her 10th house lord and then look at 5th lord (state of the house as well)....also 1st lord ruler and see what aspects are made.

Thanx for sharing your views of the houses.

In addition to aspects, I would look at receptions to see how well the lords of the affected houses "like" one another. If they're strongly at odds in terms of dignities and debilities, it might not be the right path for her.

CosmicBeing

Well if it's asking about her "career" in singing, then it is going to be a radical, as it will be her 5th from 10th which will make it her radical 2nd.

Didn't think of trying that out. I'll see what this method brings.

Minderwiz

I am practicing horary a bit here and there. A friend ask me about singing.

I felt like singing would be 5th house matter because it's a house dealing with entertainment and arts.

But then again 3rd house is a communication/vocal house.

So am I correct of it being a 5th house matter?

Singing as such is an art, it's planetary ruler is Venus and if you want a house, for horary it would be fifth.

However, things are never quite that simple. Usually there is a reason for singing - if it's to entertain others then it's still fifth house, if it's a hobby it's fifth house, if it's something you do in the bath, then it's fourth house (assuming that your bath is in your home) If you are interested in it as a career, you'd be looking at the tenth house, and hoping that either Taurus or Libra was on the MC (it's a Venus career!) or that Venus has a good dignity in the sign of the MC, such as Exaltation, or Triplcity rulership (obviously Venus is ruler in Taurus and Libra). If you're standing on the street busking, then it's tenth house (your actions) and what you get in the hat is second house.

If you take on a singing coach then he or she is ninth house (the expert) but again you'd want Venus in some dignity. If the purpose of singing is to communicate a specific message then it's third house, the process of composing, clearly has some third house connotations.

The key therefore becomes what is the question and what particularly is the role of singing in the question.

CosmicBeing

Singing as such is an art, it's planetary ruler is Venus and if you want a house, for horary it would be fifth.

However, things are never quite that simple. Usually there is a reason for singing - if it's to entertain others then it's still fifth house, if it's a hobby it's fifth house, if it's something you do in the bath, then it's fourth house (assuming that your bath is in your home) If you are interested in it as a career, you'd be looking at the tenth house, and hoping that either Taurus or Libra was on the MC (it's a Venus career!) or that Venus has a good dignity in the sign of the MC, such as Exaltation, or Triplcity rulership (obviously Venus is ruler in Taurus and Libra). If you're standing on the street busking, then it's tenth house (your actions) and what you get in the hat is second house.

If you take on a singing coach then he or she is ninth house (the expert) but again you'd want Venus in some dignity. If the purpose of singing is to communicate a specific message then it's third house, the process of composing, clearly has some third house connotations.

The key therefore becomes what is the question and what particularly is the role of singing in the question.

Ah, that's a good explanation.

I erected the chart for her.

It came out with ascendant being 1 degree. So was an early question.

I still looked over the chart (I haven't sent her like an official reading of the chart).

But 10th lord was ruled by Aries & 11th ruled by Taurus. 10th lord was in 9th house. Part of 9th was ruled by aries...so Mars (10th lord) was under it's own sign in 9th. So I could see that telling her to get some more education before deciding if singing is the career for her or at least what aspect of it to go into.

9th lord did fall under libra...in 4th house. But venus is not in a great position considering it is heading toward stationary and in Aries a weak sign. But, Venus is in 9th as well.

I'll study the chart more later tonight since I have to leave to go somewhere.

But, should I just tell her to ask in a year from now after some more education and with a clearer idea of what aspect of music she wants to focus on?