The Gothic Tarot by Vargo - VIII Justice

WolfyJames

Well, here is one of the few cards I don't like in this deck, Justice.

An female angel, or with her black wings maybe I should say fallen angel, wears a long red dress. She seems to be floating in the air as she brandish a sword on the top of her head and holds it horizontally, her left hand holding a scale, both sides of the scale being equal. She has a red glow all around her.

I mentionned the color red earlier being about death and hell. It could mean that, even in the underworld, people must be looking for balance and equality within themselves and around them.

Umbrae

This card rocks. So much of this deck is Blue/Black – When you turn over one of the non-blue/black cards, it’s like a wake-up call.

Notice here at card VIII we have Justice, not strength, we are not in the English School of Tarot.

Justice looks up at the sword she holds horizontal over her head. Although her scale is balanced, she seems more focused on the sword.

To me, she seems to be a ‘wake-up’ call indicating, “You will be judged” as opposed to “You have been, or are being judged.” The scales to me are empty because they are about to receive your heart – and measure it against the feather of an ostrich…or perhaps one from her (Justice’s) wing.

When doing readings with this deck, I like to turn and read cards singling as opposed to laying everything out. This card is one of the reasons why.

silk_selen

I tend to agree with Umbrae about this card. As far as the wake up card, and the "You <i>will</i> be judged" and whatnot.

And WolfyJames, you keep saying that red is the color of death and hell. I always had green pegged for that, or blkack and that smouldering orange of a dying fire.

But for me, at least, red has always been a color of vitality and action and energy. Or, if there's alot of it, anger.

In Christian symbolism, red is often the color used before Easter, to represent Christ's blood. It was the color of War for the ancient Greeks, and the color of the God of such (Mars), and for the Romans, the color of the leader of the gods, Jupiter. To the Chiese it means good luck.

I can definately see strength, vitality and energy in this card. She has literally and figuratively risen above those who are unjust and intends to place them under judgement.

Livia

silk_selen said:

But for me, at least, red has always been a color of vitality and action and energy. Or, if there's alot of it, anger.

In Christian symbolism, red is often the color used before Easter, to represent Christ's blood. It was the color of War for the ancient Greeks, and the color of the God of such (Mars), and for the Romans, the color of the leader of the gods, Jupiter. To the Chiese it means good luck.

I can definately see strength, vitality and energy in this card. She has literally and figuratively risen above those who are unjust and intends to place them under judgement.

Don't forget red is the color of passion, and desire..which fits here too. a desire for justice
But I had a prof. in law school that used to call it the "j" word... we were not supposed to use that word because one man's justice is another man's injustice, there are always at least two sides to a case/controversy and often many more sides.
In other justice cards the person doesn't need to carry the scales, they are just barely in their hand in fact in a few she holds it with just a finger, here the rendition of the scales makes them physically seem light, but her arm looks like mine when I carry a heavy bag of groceries. maybe implying that the scales are light but there is a force pulling them down from her.

mercenary30

Justice (VIII)

Here we have the Angel of Justice. She is neither dark nor light, although her qualities are definitely angelic. The blonde hair is a big difference than most depictions in this deck, but her dark wings show her balance between the two extremes. She is strongly presenting her sword and although she is also carrying her scales they are not displayed as prominently. All the implements she carries are golden colored, as well as the golden bracers on her wrists. Her outfit is colored blood red which could represent the one requirement required by both sides depicted within these cards. Both the living and dead require blood to survive, just as justice and balance is required in all things. Her well developed muscle structure is very noticeable. She is surely a powerful figure within this realm. Like the Devil, this Angel is surrounded in an unnatural aura only her color is red; otherworldly power, beyond the mere mortal.

To me it seems that she has just arrived on scene to perform her duties. It is a very symbolically appropriate entrance, if not a bit over the top. She is all business here, her presence should strike fear in those who should feel that way, and elation to those who need not fear justice.

Livia

I was thinking about the red of this card just yesterday. I belong to a legal faternity whose primary focus is upholding ethics. It is called phi delta phi. Last night I looked up their coat of arms (I am thinking of including it when I frame my diploma). On their website they include a discription which talks about its color. Which is red. "Gules or red is the color of courage- and courage is one of the fundamental attributes of the barrister. It is particularly appropriate that hte field of Phi Delta Phi's escutheon be tinctured red because the founders werfe courageous in pioneering in the field of preofessional Greek letter Faternities, and to Phi Delta Phis it stands as a perpetual challenge to display the high courage necessary to live up the the highest standards of legal ethics and by their example contribute their share to the fearlessness and majesty of the law."
http://www.phideltaphi.org/seal_arms.htm

I thought this could bring new depth to the red of this card, too.
Livia

Alissa

Good stuff, Livia! Thank you for sharing that, I found it very helpful :)

Deidrui

http://eyes.iris.ne.jp/majyutsudo/image/monolith/tarot/08-justice.gif

I am amazed at this card. I wasn't expecting to see a brilliant red. However, besides the red I see her wings spread as if she as just taken off with sword in hand looking to make sure her sword is balanced. I see this card as live by the sword, die by the sword.

The scales are in motion.

annik

She seems to be highlighted by the red. Makes me think how they represent using life energy (or magic) in some manga.

Emeraldgirl

She is glowing with the red life source I think. Red can also be a colour of birth and new things. I agree with Umbrae this is a wake up call card.