10 Espees (Sword) - how may it be read?

jmd

For the purposes of comparison, I have attached two versions of the Ten Sword cards - one from the Payen, the other from Hadar.

A quick note that in the latter the two central swords have differing pomels and quillons or cross-guards - but each still clearly depicts that possibly important representation of sword with cruciform-hilt.

The scimitars or curved swords interweave and are made from semi-circular form, and hence each sword closer to the centre is in fact a smaller depiction than the outer one.

I mention this as it is one reason why they may also be viewed as mimicking a vortex, the inner ones further away from the viewer, with the blades of the straight ones penetrating ever more deeply within the recesses of the formed vesica piscis.

As per the comment I make in the Ten Batons thread of this series, the foreground/background inversion also leads to seeing similarly depicted and curved forms.

In a reading, the ten may be viewed as not only completing of engagements, but also perhaps a need to engage in productive means with an opponent.

Attachments

• Payen 10 E.jpg
    Payen 10 E.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Hadar 10 E.jpg
    Hadar 10 E.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 231

Moonbow

Looking at the number 10 reminds me of the binary code and it's interesting to me that the image on this card is similar. In fact the binary code for the letter O is 01111, which is reminiscent of the centre and one group of four curved swords.

It's a number of re-birth and relates back to the vesica pisces mentioned by jmd. The vesica pisces is made of two circles which have no beginning or end, therefore the number 10 to me is perfect as it returns to unity.

I read this card as positive thinking. Decisions made and fulfilled.

tmgrl2

jmd, I noticed that in one of the cards you scanned, the two swords point up and in the other, downward?

I see the eight interlaced swords as , well, an eight...a position of solidarity and harmony...two 4's...but in order to move to a higher plane or to complete, the two swords in this card symbolize to me the necessity of a resolution through an encounter ...perhaps a mental encounter.

This must happen in order to complete the cycle, to progress to the next level.

I am thinking about this card with the points upward as perhaps pointing toward the Spirit, the Heavens but with the swords pointing downward, as indicating a descent into the Material or earthly plane. So harmony must be sought by the "duel" of these swords in order to find a balance between the material and the spiritual?

terri

tmgrl2

Rereading...

Process completed, end of the challenge on the horizon, new cycles to come.

terri

Bernice

tmgrl2s' first post caused something to click into place for me with this card. The balance and the two central crossed swords.

I can now see it as card that 'finalises'. Whether by decision, action, or outer events. Depending on accompanying cards; it suggests that something has, or should be, brought to some conclusion. And that the conclusion is a very definite one.... no going back.

Could be a vow or pact. Could be something that cannot be undone. Could be a 'no-entry' sign.....like "this is as far as you can go" or, "Private - keep out".

In a reading I think surrounding cards would define it's import more clearly in relation to the query.

Bee :)

kwaw

The ten of swords I associate with the fool; as swords cut so I am led to the ripped clothing, the beast that bites and claws at him, and focused on his genitals.

My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.
Say unto wisdom, Thou my sister; and call understanding kinswoman:
That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger flattereth with her words.
For at the window of my house I looked through my casement,
And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,
Passing through the street near her corner; and he went the way to her house,
In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night:
And, behold, there met him a woman the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.
(She loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house:
Now without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.)
So she caught him, and kissed him, with an impudent face said unto him,
peace offerings with me; this day have I payed my vows.
Therefore came I forth to meet thee, diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee.
I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, with carved , with fine linen of Egypt.
I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: let us solace ourselves with loves.
For the goodman not at home, he is gone a long journey:
He hath taken a bag of money with him, will come home at the day appointed.
With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him.
He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks;
Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it for his life.
Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.
Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths.
For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong have been slain by her.
Her house the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.
(Proverbs 7:1-27 KJV)

And

He that committeth adultery with a woman is a fool; he doeth it that would destroy his own soul.
Wounds and dishonour shall he get, and his reproach shall not be wiped away.
For jealousy is the rage of a man, and he will not spare in the day of vengeance.

As swords are symbols of war and strife, I am also reminded of the proverb:

It is an honour for a man to cease from strife; but every fool will be meddling.

In connection with the dog and the symbolism of the number 10 as representing a return, I am reminded of the proverb:

As a dog returneth to his vomit; so a fool returns to his folly.

And as 10 is the end so I am reminded of ecclesiates 2:16

For no remembrance of the wise more than of the fool for ever; seeing that which now in the days to come shall all be forgotten. And how dieth the wise ? as the fool.

I recall too the four guards of sword fencing, the ox, the plough, the fool and the roof.

ihcoyc

Tens are cards of ending, and closure. The two slightly different swords apparently have two different owners. They have crossed before, but given the extremely small space allowed by the surrounding swords whose space they have penetrated, there is no point in continuing the battle further - not much space left to fight over.

It's time to call off the argument. Time to stop thinking too hard. You've run out of ideas, and they're getting you nowhere. Time to try another approach than the mental or verbal one.