Significator?

Moon Light Pie

Hi Everyone,

What's your input on using a Significator?

Looking forward for your input :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nisaba

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Everyone,

What's your input on using a Significator?

Looking forward for your input :)

I don't use them.

I don't need a Tarot card on the table to describe me (or my client): I already know who I am (or my client is).

And they take away one extra card from the bunch that the Goddess Coincidence has to choose from when laying out the message: we already only have only 78 cards to choose from when describing potentially billions of different situations, why limit it further?

Grizabella

I don't use them either. Sometimes I might have the sitter give me a coin or something they've had on their person to hold for a few minutes in my hand or I might have the sitter write the question on a slip of paper to put under a spread cloth. Mostly, though, unless the spread I'm using calls specifically for a significator, I just don't use one.

Herodotus

I like them. I enjoy knowing which cards in a pack can represent myself - it deepens my relationship with my cards. Even if a particular spread doesn't call for one, I like to know what mine are. Selecting a significator prior to the actual reading helps me focus on what exactly it is I'm asking about. I pick different significators for different types of issues.

I also don't believe removing a single card from the pack makes that much of a difference in the outcome of the reading. It's like some people are worried that the significator, all of the sudden, over all of the rest of the cards, now holds the key to the secrets of the universe, but you'll never know because the random forces of the Tarot weren't allowed to use it. It doesn't make sense to me, because that single card is the only card now guaranteed to have a spot in the spread, not the other way around. And anyway, the difference between a 1/78 and 1/77 chance of drawing a specific card is negligible in my mind, especially in such an inexact science as divination.

Lots of people are seriously irked by that difference, though.

Moon Light Pie

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barleywine

I no longer use them unless I create a spread that specifically requires one. I used a significator with the Celtic Cross for a long time, but decided it's unnecessary since I only do face-to-face readings and the client is sitting right there. When I use one, I'm inclined to take it from a different deck so I don't reduce the reading deck.

lantana

I don't use them in the traditional sense, but I do consider Page of Wands to be mine currently. Like Herodotus said, I like having a card (or two) I relate to, and I've had it shown up in a reading as a reminder to "be myself".

That being said, I've almost never pulled out a significator for a tarot spread. I never felt the need to have a card out to help focus on the topic at hand.