Nisaba & AT: Japanese Tarot.

FaintlyMacabre

I have the Ukiyoe. If my memory is correct, it was out of print but they reprinted it. It is still here so I must have liked it well enough (I think it is behind a stack) but it isn't one of the Japanese sets like the Amano.

Diana

PathWalker

There might have been a few folks who'd have been interested in this...

http://rocca-game.jp/tarocca/

It's a fun deck, but the shipping costs from Japan were painful if I remember rightly.

DownUnderNZer

FaintlyMacabre:

Will remember that...not a set.

Hope my friend gets the right Amano as seems to be two. Thanks! :)

I have the Ukiyoe. If my memory is correct, it was out of print but they reprinted it. It is still here so I must have liked it well enough (I think it is behind a stack) but it isn't one of the Japanese sets like the Amano.

Diana

Neat Pathwalker....

That does look rather cool and like another "must have" only it seems sold out at the moment.

I love games and that would fit me rather well.

Thanks for the link! :)

It's a fun deck, but the shipping costs from Japan were painful if I remember rightly.

madhatter00o

Thanks for all your help.

I stumbled across another Japanese deck I am considering, but would like to see more images if I can find them of course.

Ukiyoe Tarot

Have you ever seen or heard of this deck? :)

Ehh, I've seen it, but it's never been a deck that called to me. It kind of smacks of cultural appropriation in one sense, which is something that irritates me. Fujitsu Koji, the artist, probably has some training in the ukiyoe tradition -- at least the compositions look right -- but the coloring is wonky and (worse) the characterizations seem contrived.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the choice to depict King Enma on the Death card, but I also believe that the deeper cultural associations are radically different than their surface layers. And depicting a courtesan for a Queen is a little dubious. Now, you can make the argument that certain courtesans were basically celebrities in the pleasure quarters and could -- to a certain extent -- decide aspects of their futures, but that was VERY rare. And handlebar/broom mustaches were not en vogue in Japan until the Bakumatsu era (1854~).

It looks like "traditional" Japanese images were hamfistedly shoved into the structure of the Tarot...

I don't have the deck, so take these opinions with a grain of salt... Still, it is also for these precise reasons that I don't own the deck. :p

FaintlyMacabre

The Ukiyoe is a much older US Games deck and I don't think it can really be compared with the Japanese tarots. I am not really arguing with you. Likely it is all true.

Diana

nisaba

GREGORY! Where's that scan?

CherryNukaCola

Thank you for posting that! I had seen images of this deck before but hadn't been able to find its name. Another one to pop on the wishlist. :)