Re-building my collection; recommendations?

rainboweve

While in the midst of a very aggressive decluttering spree, I unintentionally threw out my crystals! :( Needless to say I am not so happy about that, especially considering that my local shop has just closed down. Luckily there are 2 other stores near me where crystals can be purchased, which I am grateful for as I like to pick out my crystals by feeling their energies.

Seeing as I will be making a trip to one of the shops in a day or two, I thought I'd compile a list of crystals that might be good to purchase for a (new) starter collection. Thankfully my raw chunks of rose quartz and clear quartz were too big to be thrown out, and out of all my small tumbled stones, somehow my fluorite survived.

My favorite crystal by far is rose quartz, and I have a newfound love for fluorite. ;) I do intend on purchasing an amethyst, but any other suggestions? :)

GotH

Oh no! Time to start over. :) You'll need a protection stone for sure! Think obsidian or labradorite. And maybe a stone for overall well-being like the beautiful Hematite. These make me feel really good when I hold them in my hands.

:)

rainboweve

Oh no! Time to start over. :) You'll need a protection stone for sure! Think obsidian or labradorite. And maybe a stone for overall well-being like the beautiful Hematite. These make me feel really good when I hold them in my hands.

:)

Ahh thank you GotH! I did have a hematite in my collection before, as well as another black grounding stone but I can't remember what it was. I remember ages ago when I first got into crystals I chose snowflake obsidian, but it strangely gave me a headache so I chose not to use it. I don't think I've ever owned a labradorite, so I will do my research! And perhaps I'm able to handle obsidian now. :)

Redfaery

Labradorite is awesome. Highly recommend it!

Also, if you don't have citrine, that's one I'd put on the list to get a big chunk of.

rainboweve

Labradorite is awesome. Highly recommend it!

Also, if you don't have citrine, that's one I'd put on the list to get a big chunk of.

Labradorite certainly sounds interesting :)

I used to have a citrine as well, but it was a small tumbled stone and not a big chunk of it. Any reason you recommend to get a big chunk of citrine in particular? :)

Awkward.turtle91

Angel aura or moonstone If you can find them
Xx

Redfaery

Labradorite certainly sounds interesting :)

I used to have a citrine as well, but it was a small tumbled stone and not a big chunk of it. Any reason you recommend to get a big chunk of citrine in particular? :)
Well, it's not hard to find a large piece of citrine for a reasonable price, and large pieces are hard to lose. (I lose stuff a lot)

rainboweve

Well, it's not hard to find a large piece of citrine for a reasonable price, and large pieces are hard to lose. (I lose stuff a lot)

Well, it is true that the only reason I still have my chunks of rose & clear quartz are because they were too big to accidentally throw away! :laugh:

rainboweve

Angel aura or moonstone If you can find them
Xx

Angel aura is new to me - had to read up on it! Is there any reason in particular you recommended Angel aura? :) I did have a moonstone previously, so I will add that to my list, though I don't think I ever used it much, it was one of those stones that's pleasing to look at.

I really should get myself a book on crystals, it's been years that I've gone without one. Seeing as I'm starting over I should probably add that to my list. :p

Darkmage

Onyx is a good grounding and protecting stone. I've got a 12" high onyx pyramid--I love it.

Seconding obsidian here. One of my favourites is a tiger carved out of snowflake obsidian--the flakes form white stripes on a black tiger. I also have a couple large spheres and eggs made from it and they're great for scrying.

Hematite is wonderful. I have a set of runes made from hematite, also one of amethyst.

Selenite is great. It's cheap, too. I have spheres, wands, and tealight holders made of it.

Rose quartz is soothing. I've got a cat carved of it as well as spheres and eggs--those have stars. A rough chunk sits on my table and gets played with quite often.

Best bet? If there's a rock and gem show in your area, go! Get to know the dealers--a lot of them will give you screaming deals on stuff.